[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you think the public cares so little about science and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: knowledge.png (258KB, 816x215px) Image search: [Google]
knowledge.png
258KB, 816x215px
Why do you think the public cares so little about science and to an extent math? so many people cant do either of them but its obvious through click bait like this that they still have a desire to learn more.
>>
>>7777347
Most people only come into contact with high school physics and hate it. Then they get some videos with cool stuff said in them so they feel clever even though they explained nothing and never helped do anything besides make stupid people feel not moronic. Popsci is dumbed down for the benefit of everyone who couldn't have a chance of getting into STEM.

Knowledge isn't skills or understanding.
>>
>>7777347
clickbait has nothing whatever to do with "a desire to learn more", fgt pls
>>
>>7777347
>a desire to learn more

fuck no they dont
>>
>>7777347
>still taking seriously the fantasies of the ''enlightenment'' rationalists

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
>>
File: 1446803869308.jpg (282KB, 1191x1192px) Image search: [Google]
1446803869308.jpg
282KB, 1191x1192px
Why do I hate popsci so much guys? I mean I get why I hate it but I don't get why I have such a deep hatred for it. Is it because of autism?
>>
>>7777953
>yfw you've never had a job and are a STEMpleb and one of the biggest engineering-related companies hires you your first year of college
heh
>>
>>7777953
Because it gives people a misconception of what science really is. Watch something by black science man and people think physic is all about staring at the stars and thinking about the origin of the universe.

Then you go start studying theoretical physics, take your first QFT class, and see pic related.
>>
File: 1452330614686.png (5KB, 365x241px) Image search: [Google]
1452330614686.png
5KB, 365x241px
>mfw changed my major from English to Physics after getting really into Numberphile

i think the answer is that although people want to know more about science and maths, because quality videos take so much knowledge and effort to make nobody bothers. So 99.99% of whats available is popsci crap, and its difficuot for people to find anything else.
>>
File: 1452584849084.png (2KB, 365x241px) Image search: [Google]
1452584849084.png
2KB, 365x241px
>>7778045
>>
>>7777347
In my experience, people do care about science to a degree, they just want the "big picture" and don't care about the details. They can't really see science on a small scale so they're usually not too interested in biology, chemistry, or physics. Popsci today really only covers astronomy and flavor of the month subatomic particles.

Math on the other hand is pretty much ignored. Most people genuinely just don't know what exactly math is and what it's used for outside of the sciences. I guess the public sees it as more of a tool for other purposes rather than a broad field in its own right. I'd say this is for a couple reasons, mainly that pretty much all "math" until calculus is pretty dreadfully boring and taught horribly in the US.
>>7777953
Because /sci/ has taught you that science is some special exclusive club and that you're only allowed to learn about it if you want to devote your life to it. Seriously, I wish more people were into popsci so they could at least have some idea of what's going on in the world and maybe they would be convinced to throw some more public funding into research.
>>
>>7777973
The point of popsci is not to educate. That's what schools and universities are for. The point of popsci is to popularize science, and hence make people more willing to increase funding. People on sci (not scientists or mathematicians) are either too dense or too autistic to see this.
>>
>>7777558

>he thinks he's smart
>>
>>7777960
>yfw this is the internet and you're lying.

Unless daddy has some serious contacts there's no way that's true
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.