[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/math/: Math general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: 1311432732000.jpg (106KB, 557x442px) Image search: [Google]
1311432732000.jpg
106KB, 557x442px
You know the drill:
Ask math-related questions or post math problems, have people discuss them with you.
No college advice, no textbook recs.
>>
Is Calculus 3 worth learning? It isn't in the curriculum and I have been told Cal 2 is all I will need.

Starting mechanical engineering in college this September.
>>
What is kans acadimy?
>>
>>7774635
define worth taking
>>
>>7774635
What kind of shitty fucking school do you go to where calc 3 (that's vector calc at your school, right?) is not required for mech eng?
>>
>>7774631
Could anyone recommendate me a texbook all about college advice?
>>
>>7774631
Could anyone give me advice for college about what textbooks should I be getting?
>>
>>7774655
A Mathematician's Survival Guide: Graduate School and Early Career Development by Krantz
>>
>>7774651
>Mech E.
>Calc 3 not required
At first I was like "go easy most schools don't require computer science students to take it" and then I saw that...
>>
>>7774631
It is a well-known fact that an operator A (on a separable Hilbert space) which is normal modulo compact operators happens to be unitarily equivalent to a Wiener-Hopf operator B. What does the shape of the essential spectrum of A tell us about the index of B?
>>
Could someone please explain this?

Why doesn't this rule apply to the second?
>>
>>7775128
It didnt apply to the first. Both are odd functions. The negative sign of the denominator is not considered in the first equation.
>>
>>7775136
Then pls explain this
>>
>>7775146
In your one you forgot the minus in front
>>
>>7775149
Fuck me I need glasses
>>
Coming from EE undergrad, doing physics theory now for grad school. I've taken courses in calc 1-3 and ODE's, never a formal algebra (linear or otherwise) class, and no analysis or topology. Somewhat good at linear algebra from my quantum coursework.

I feel behind my group mates in math, who all did physics or math/physics undergrad. Is there a good resource for catching up, so I'm more fluent in math necessary to do work at this level? Texts on "math for physicists" with problems I could work? I can Wikipedia a lot of stuff to get through papers, but I don't know the basics life they do to pull things up and know where to work from.
>>
>>7774631
Does anyone know if there has been any verification of the validity of the work published by Mochizuki dealing with the abc conjecture?
>>
>>7775146
Is high school fun for you so far?
>>
>>7775363
There was a conference in England. It didn't get anywhere.
>>
>>7775392
Does order matter?
>>
>>7775405
idk senpai that's all the problem says

lol idk why i am asking this on /sci/ i am a fucking retarded ass person who should go off themselves lmao
>>
>>7775411
Either [math]\binom{30}{20}[/math] or [math]\frac{30!}{10!}[/math]
>>
File: th-thanks.jpg (47KB, 369x368px) Image search: [Google]
th-thanks.jpg
47KB, 369x368px
>>7775427
>>
>>7775469
You are welcome.
>>
>>7775469
use the 30!/10!
the way the question is phrased means that order definitely matters
>>
>>7775332
Mathematical methods in the physical sciences by Boas
Mathematical methods of classical mechanics by Arnold
Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics by Byron and Fuller (Dover = cheap)
Mathematics for Physicists by Krzywicki and Dennery (also dover)
>>
Trying to show this limit exists (not necessarily estimate its value):
[eqn]\lim_{t\to+\infty}\int_0^1{\frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}\,\log\left[1 - \sin^2(x t)\,\frac{1 - x^2}{1 + a x^2}\right]},[/eqn]
with [math]a \ge 0[/math].

No luck on Math Exchange so far, I wonder if /sci/ can help me with this.
>>
I'm getting my BEng in a few months. Supposedly my major is one that most heavily relies on probability, statistics etc (describing signals), but I never really got my head around it. Is there a good video (series?) I can watch to learn about it?
>>
>>7776063
Ok, not sure with it didn't format that, trying with inline TeX:
[math]\lim_{t\to+\infty}\int_0^1 \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}\,\log\left[1 - \sin^2(x t)\,\frac{1 - x^2}{1 + a x^2}\right][/math]
>>
>>7776063

The answer is 6
>>
>>7776073
That's some shitty notation. What's the scope of x?
>>
>>7776138
What do you mean? This is an integral over the reals, with the integration variable x in [0, 1]. It is standard notation.
>>
>>7776144
I mean, is the integrand just 1/sqrt(...) and x is free in the log[...], or is x bound in the whole thing?

Also, what is a? Is it real, complex, natural?
>>
>>7776164
x is bound to the whole integral (or I would have used a different name for the variable).
As for a, as I specified in my original post it is a non negative (real) constant.

Hope that clarifies everything.
>>
File: disposable income.png (5KB, 526x319px) Image search: [Google]
disposable income.png
5KB, 526x319px
Hello /sci/ How do I get disposable income out of this equation?

I'm really stuck and any help is appreciated

The equilibrium is normally

Y= C0+C1(Yd)+I+G-T

Yd can also be (Y-T)

Thanks
>>
File: EP (53).jpg (58KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
EP (53).jpg
58KB, 400x225px
Is the determinant of a tensor product the product of the determinants?
If so, would this be true in the infinite dimensional case?
>>
>>7775611
I agree senpai, thanks Im just retarded, I am really stupid loll fuck
>>
What's your favorite maths book?
>>
>>7776604
For finite dimension you're close but it's the product of the determinants raised to the dimension of each of the original spaces, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_product#Relations_to_other_matrix_operations

What exactly is the notion of determinant you're using for infinite dimensional matrices?
>>
2x-1
------- > 0
X
>>
I am taking both Calc 3 and Linear Algebra over the summer in 8 weeks

Will I struggle? (Only taking these two classes)
>>
>>7776073
t only appear in the sin term, which averages to 1/2 for all practical purposes since the other stuff is continuous, differentiable and has all the usual boring properties
>>
>>7776668
Nice. Thanks for that.
I'm calculating functional integrals to find gap equations. To evaluate them I need to find the determinants of the Dirac operator (amongst other things)
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.