[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is eating meat harmful to health?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: meat-04[1].jpg (449KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
meat-04[1].jpg
449KB, 1920x1280px
Is eating meat harmful to health?
>>
How long is a rope?
>>
>>7774391
It causes cancer.
So does sugar and sunlight, you need to get away from all three immediately.
>>
Yes. That's why we have 8 teeth designed to eat it.

You what's harmful to health? Being a fat fuck.
>>
>>7774391
>>7774396
Also too much water is deadly, stay away from water entirely.
>>
Some studies say yes, others say no.

What we do know is that livestock uses over 30% of the Earth's surface, contributes more greenhouse gases than the all world's transportation systems, and uses 4,000 gallons of water each day to feed one person instead of 300 for a vegan.
>>
>>7775106
>implying I give a shit about the Earth or the shitstain known as mankind.
>>
>>7775119
This desu?

What's the worst that could happen to ME?
>>
>>7775119
calm down mr.edge
>>
>>7774391

Assuming you're basing this on the Californian study linking high protein diets and cancer, probably, if you're between 40 and 60, but a statistically significant percentage increase is not the same as a statistically significant percentage point increase.

On the whole eating a chunk of meat is better than eating the same calories in say milk chocolate and you have to eat something.

You also have to consider how you prepare the meat, some cooking oils have been linked with cancer but I'd have to look up exactly which ones.

Then there is the type and quality of the meat, for instance processed meats with preservatives are in the highest class of potentially causing cancer according to cancer research groups. Things like hot dogs and packs of sliced and preserved ham are more likely to cause cancer than say a fresh steak. White meats like chicken, turkey and fish are unclassified but are believed to be less likely to cause cancer.

I don't know much about the cardiovascular health concerns of various meats but I'd assume they follow the same basic model, the more processed it is the worse for you, with chicken, turkey and fish being related to greater longevity. I'm only assuming here though.

We're also changing our opinions on the roles of visible fat in things like cholesterol levels. They have less of a role than we thought with exercise and calorie intake playing a larger role. While it's probably better to choose cuts with less visible fat, it's not the end game of staying healthy like we thought in the 90s.

tldr not as much as you would think, just don't eat too much of it and buy fresh rather than preserved.
>>
>>7775078
I also heard eating in general is extremely bad for you, so I would avoid that.
>>
>>7775174

Everything that eats dies.
>>
Meat is good for you.
Just dont be a fatfag
>>
>>7774391

Who cares about the nutrition? Purchasing meat provides a financial incentive for factory farming.
>>
>>7775205

It also provides a financial incentive to free grazing farming. The taxes on factory farmed meats go to subsidies in the EU based on land categorised as open grazing land, or in some countries per head of cattle on open grazing land.

Outlawing factory farming would very quickly make any kind of meat prohibitively expensive and lead to the death of traditional farming. The knock on effect of this would be to reduce the number of animals with a high quality of care index and ultimately cause major environmental shifts as more fields were used for arable farming, decreasing soil quality in rural areas meaning that more fertiliser would have to be produced, increasing toxic byproduct production in industrial areas, decreasing biodiversity and microbial biodiversity on and around farms, greater use of herbicides and pesticides increasing ppm concentration effects up the food chain causing detrimental effects on wildlife.

It's just a clusterfuck basically. You mean well, but what you're proposing is just unworkable and would result in more overall harm.
>>
>>7774396
How do I get away from the sunlight sir?
>>
>>7775205
This. I find eating factory-produced meat so disgusting I can't touch it. Fish and game, on the other hand feel a lot better since they aren't so inhumanly produced.
>>
>>7774391
I don't know about you but it's good for my mental health cause it's tasty and I like eating tasty things.
>>
>>7775733

You should look in to methods of branding in your country to find meats marked as non-intensively farmed. Fish are factory farmed too, I'd argue intensive fish farming is worse than chicken batteries or penned cattle.
>>
>>7775174
Breathing literally causes your body to spontaneously combust. Stop breathing now
>>
>>7775578
shouldn't be so hard for you
>>
>>7775756
Nah, that's stupid.

It does cause oxidation, though. So oxygen is definitely a no no.
>>
>>7774391
You should know, since you consume sausages on a daily basis, OP
>>
>>7775078
I expected higher quality arguments from /sci/
>>
>>7775106
source on all the shit you are saying
>>
>eating
>ever

lmao are you suicidal?
99% of people die within 24 hours after eating something!
>>
>>7774391
Raw meat is very healthy, if it is clean and fresh.
Humans have been hunting for 3.5 million years so we are evolved to eat meat.
>>
>>7775106
>>7775941
I'm not him, and I don't have a source, but I do know that is true. If you ask anybody that studies climate science, sustainability, environmental policy, or something similar, they will tell you that agriculture is the number one contributor towards greenhouse gas emission and fresh water consumption. That's the real reason for being vegetarian/vegan, not
>animals have feelings too!
Now while I recognize that the aforementioned degrees aren't held in the highest regard among /sci/, I would ask that we all put aside our pride for a moment in sober consideration for our planet.
>>
>>7775941
>>7776391
>>7775106

Water footprint
http://waterfootprint.org/media/downloads/Hoekstra-2012-Water-Meat-Dairy.pdf
All meat products are at or above 4,000 L/kg (~2 lb) required for production. Many vegetable products use more water than I had previously believed, but the values are still far lower than those representing the meat industry.
>[Vegetarianism] means a reduction [in water usage] of 36%.

Greenhouse gases
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?newsID=20772
>The livestock sector accounts for 9 per cent of CO2 deriving from human-related activities, but produces a much larger share of even more harmful greenhouse gases. It generates 65 per cent of human-related nitrous oxide, which has 296 times the Global Warming Potential (GWP) of CO2.
http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/197623/icode/
http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/a0701e/a0701e00.HTM

Land use
http://www.globalagriculture.org/report-topics/meat-and-animal-feed.html
>26% of the Earth’s ice-free terrestrial surface is used for grazing.

Arguments and rebuttals
http://www.mesacc.edu/~davpy35701/text/meatarg.html

I'm positive you can find other sources online if you try.
>>
>>7774391

Only if you're a little faggot.

>faggot: I got cancer..
>non-faggot: How??
>faggot: I eat too much manly steak
>non-faggot: haha, faggot
>>
Knowing that many butchers sell you rotten meat by merely cutting its surface and selling it like it was fresh out of the slaughterhouse, definitely.
>>
>>7776666
Nice try, Satan.

>>7776714
Where'd you hear this? I want to read about it.
>>
>>7775106
>uses 4,000 gallons of water each day to feed one person instead of 300 for a vegan.
so vegans are not people
>>
>>7775818

Ask extremely generic crappy questions and you will get generic crappy answers.

Everything is bad for you. Every single thing on earth is bad for you. Its just a matter of proportions.
>>
>>7776714
impossible. rotten meat has a distinct smell and look.
but "rotten" meat isn't bad for you anyway.
>>
>>7774391
Neu5gc.
>>
>>7774391
no

eating processed meat might be a little bit.

processed means the kike companies have done something to it to save some shekels.
>>
>>7774391
There have been studies that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that eating meat is extremely harmful to your health
There have been studies that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that eating meat is extremely beneficial for your health
>>
>>7774391
With all the added shit, I wouldn't be surprised
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.