[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After oxbridge, what are the best non-US universities? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 9

File: oxford_2378436b.jpg (96KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
oxford_2378436b.jpg
96KB, 620x387px
After oxbridge, what are the best non-US universities?

I'm thinking of Maths or Physics, in case that helps.
>>
Ecole normale supérieur in Paris, but it's not really a University.

Then ETH is probably the right call.
>>
>>7771611
ETH and EPFL are about the same for the sciences. ETH is bigger because it contains everything while EPFL is only engineering
>>
>>7771599
for stem, imperial college
>>
>>7771599
everytime i see this picture, I'm like, "whoa, thats a cool DS mod"
>>
>>7771622

thoughts on UCL vs Imperial?
>>
>>7771733
anal rodeo is a beautiful place
>>
>>7771599
in terms of studying or teaching/working doing research or what? It depends a lot. Otherwise you get just superficial tryhard answers.
>>
>>7771599
TU Delft
>>
>>7771599
well, not birmingham for math nor physics. birmingham for CS at best.

marseille for non-commutative geometry (not in the flavor of connes)

marseille for physics

cea and orsay for physics
>>
also not imperial for physics

and I would say oxford for math and cambridge for physics, to precise OP
>>
>>7771802

Yes, I will be applying to Cambridge soon. But I dont have any ideas about backup plans yet, I was thinking either UCL or McGill in canada.

>>7771744

interested in this
>>
>>7771599

Whichever is the most suitable for your needs and wants.
>>
Brown University
>>
>>7771776
nice meme, but OP's looking for serious answers
>>
In China, Tsinghua. I'm a grad student in the US, and I seem to come across more students/post-docs from here than any other Chinese university.
>>
>>7771744
>>7771831

Imperial for job.
UCL for girls.
>>
>>7772283

>girls
ew.

Which one for guys?
>>
Anyone is in Canada here?
>>
>>7771599

Nobody gives a shit what university you went to. Why would you go to university to learn math? Read a fucking book. University is for those interested in research. If you're not going to do research stay out of university. If you already have a job and just need an excuse for a higher salary any diploma mill will do.
>>
>>7772670
what you want senpai?
>>
>>7772283
Of course you choose UCL
>>
>>7771599
Toronto is decent
>>
>>7772681
Just fuck off tripfag
>>
>>7772667
Caltech
>>
McGill
University of Toronto
University of Heidelberg
University of Munich
University of Tokyo
>>
>>7772670
Waterloo for math/science, UofT for engineering, McGill for humanities
>>
>>7772760

how does McGill compare to Oxbridge in terms of difficulty of getting accepted?
>>
>>7772762
Waterloo for engineering (if you want to go straight to industry).

Speaking as a UW engineering student, don't fucking go here unless you're doing math or engineering, and have no concern about losing your entire social life. Literally everyone else is having more fun then you, even at the shittier universities. You're wasting the best years of your life in exchange for making more money later on in life.
>>
If you're talking engineering, National University of Singapore is the highest ranked non-Oxbridge outside of the US. If we're talking science it's ETH Zurich.
>>
>>7772806
McGill is not difficult to get into IMO. A Canadian would only need an average around the low 90s.
>>
>>7772283
this

tonnes of people drop out and get depressed and pretty much everyone is a virgin (at least in engineering) but the career prospects are insane.

I had like 3 internship offers last summer and I only started applying like a a month before the holidays and even though I completely fucked up the interviews they still hired me.

I also walked into a part time job as a software dev which is pretty cool when you consider most students are lucky to get a job bagging shopping.

It's amazing.
>>
>>7772833
Are you sure? Is it as good as people say it?
>>
How is Warwick and Bristol for maths?
>>
>>7772862
Well I haven't had the chance to attend every single university in the world, but QS World rankings are usually well regarded.
>>
File: 1427671820351.gif (421KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1427671820351.gif
421KB, 700x525px
>you will NEVER study physics at magdalen
>>
>>7773173
I went to Bath, and my mate left after first year to study maths at Bristol because it's easier
>>
>>7772852
>tfw did an internship at Goldman Sachs last summer, have a hot GF and will start as an analyst at Goldman after I graduate from imperial with an MEng this year earning 80k+ pounds a year (that's 120k USD for amerifats)
>>
>>7773232
>working for the kikes

good goy, enjoy spending most of your adult life miserable but rich.
>>
>>7773232
Wtf an engineer working in finance? That's a dime a dozen man.
>>
>>7773246
Perhaps. It pays the bills and more-what's not to like? You even can leave the office at 6pm if you are in trading.
>>
>>7772852
>>7773232

> complete PhD at Imperial
> get job at hedge fund
> mfw 100k starting is not a meme
>>
>>7773253
> studying physics and then leaving your area of studies for economies
pls go
>>
>>7773253
100k starting is a bit disappointing after a full PhD at Imperial, I don't get what you're proud about.
300k starting would be impressive tho
>>
>>7771611
Ecole normale supérieur is only ranked at 72 in the Shanghai ranking. So it's a pretty shitty university.
>>
>>7773277
>shanghai ranking
Kill yourself
>>
>>7773279
It's important for employers.

If you have a degree from such a low ranked university they will always wonder why you weren't ambitions enough to go to one of the 71 better ones.
>>
>>7773279
Shanghai is more objective.

THE literally scores "surveys" at 30% so of course people read the THE list and then basically repeat it on the survey as "reputable".
>>
>>7773277
because it's not a university.
French structures are small but extremely selective. The size doesn't help with international rankings.
Anyone who knows anything about their field knows about ENS.
>>
>>7771599
Fuck all these London universities, come to Manchester.
>>
File: Mancs.jpg (70KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
Mancs.jpg
70KB, 660x371px
>>7773315
>come to manchester
>>
>>7773293
So i'm supposed to believe that Oxford is way worse than Berkeley?
And Tokyo is way better than Rice.
>>
>>7773277
ENS is elite m8

http://www.ens.fr/a-propos/l-ecole/article/distinctions?lang=en
>>
Is 100k starting only possible at investment banks, hedge funds, etc?

The finance sector seems so much more rewarding than all others. What gives?
>>
>>7773246
actually it's not uncommon at all for imperial college student.

I'm an EE at imperial and I'd say between a third and a half of us end up in finance.
>>
>>7773443

how/why?
>>
>>7773449
well, the banks are always here shilling themselves as the ticket to getting rich and people at imperial are really autistically focussed on success (otherwise they'd be at UCL haha).
>>
>>7773454
I thought UCL is for girls.
>>
ENS Ulm.
>>
>>7773454

but what finance applications do physics or engineering have?
>>
>>7773277
>get a load of this pleb
>>
>>7773506
well, engineering (at least at imperial) has an enormous emphasis on making and evaluating models and designing solutions to novel problems.

I imagine that an engineer would approach a problem in a significantly different manner to an accountant or finance student. Also there is a strong emphasis on mathematics, modelling software and programming/algorithms in my course which is at foundation of algorithmic trading.

If you can manage the courseload presumably you'll have not much problem picking up the necessary financial knowledge along the way.
>>
>>7773333
>And Tokyo is way better than Rice.
It is. Tokyo is where every Japanese student dreams of going. It has produced 15 Japanese prime ministers, 10 Nobel laureates and one Fields medalist. Tokyo is to JAXA like Caltech is to JPL.

Meanwhile, Rice is not even the best school in Texas, Austin is.
>>
>>7771599
When it comes to maths shanghai ranking is useless. So many (American) unis in the top 100 that don't even do analysis in the first year.

If you want a BSc in maths: ETH Zurich, Lausanne, all the Parisian, Bonn, TU Munich, Goettingen, Vienna University, University of Pisa, St. Petersburg, Moscow Lomonossow, etc.

Just google "best maths unis in xyz country".

There are quite a few European countries where you can make a great bachelors degree in maths. When it comes to maths, it's better to study at f.e. University of Helsinki than an American non-Ivy school. And it's much cheaper too.
>>
>>7773529
Can i just give up and move there and earn money and pick up nippon chicks?
>>
File: YcmNtUH.jpg (43KB, 582x741px) Image search: [Google]
YcmNtUH.jpg
43KB, 582x741px
I have the choice to study at UChicago or stay at my home country. I want to study math. What's stopping me from leaving the country is a newly acquired girlfriend, whom I love and who doesn't know about this opportunity.

Wat do.
>>
>>7773277
>Shanghai rating
wew lad
>>
>>7773576
Don't go to study maths in USA, come to EU instead. Paying 40k tuition per year is really unnecessary.

If you make your future plans based on a relationship, consider what happens when you break up.
>>
>>7773576
If ur in Sweden stay, cause girls there are 10/10 on average. If ur in UK, up to you. If ur in any other part outside of UK or US, go.
>>
>>7773576
>newly acquired girlfriend vs. lifelong plans

Your shitty teenage romance is probably gonna be shorter than my uptime record anyway.

If you scrap your life goals for a girl you're probably gonna regret it later and that's gonna sour your relationship.

If it was a wife or a girl you've been with for the better part of a decade it might be different but as it is you're a fool if you don't go.
>>
What's the best engineering uni in europe that brings good social life? Wanna do my master's abroad but I want to make the most out of those 2 years other than getting the degree. Also kind of average grades so top unis wouldn't accept me either.
>>
Thanks everyone (non-ironically). I like to hear different opinions.

>>7773591
My tuition is 90% covered by UChicago itself.
> If you make your future plans based on a relationship, consider what happens when you break up.
I know, but I think this girl (my first girlfriend) is a bit special (muh spucial snowflake, etc). She doesn't party, shy, robot-y, hot as fuck (to me at least), I actually enjoy being around her doing nothing, in contrast to most people on earth. We've been through a few rough moments, and I am being tremendously honest with her (stuff I like, stuff I don't) for the sake of having a strong relationship. The only thing that pushes me off is her lack of life ambitions. I am open to pursuing a PhD outside, which is what actually counts if I want to get into academia.

>>7773592
I'm not in Sweden nor UK. Was about to apply to Cambridge and some other UK unis until I saw the moneys. US is much cheaper if you get tuition covered.

>>7773596
I've avoided teenage romances, I like think this is a bit different. Too young to judge, though, I know shit about women and life in the end. I understand and sympathize with your point.

I will tell her; see how she reacts. If she doesn't give a hint of happiness (because this is something important for me, all my HS efforts have paid off and my value is being recognized for 70k$ a year), I will understand that the relationship is about her, not about us. Then I will decide.

I've taken enough redpill, but I don't like to subscribe to philosophies.
>>
>>7773634
Bro i know it's hard, but there's plenty of fish in the sea(i know very archaic and hackneyed), but up to you, we're just here to advice you.
Partially the reason why i've previously avoided any relationships during my High school years.
>>
>>7773634
>If she doesn't give a hint of happiness

She probably won't be too happy about it anyway. Nobody likes hearing they're probably gonna get dumped.
>>
>>7773652
He could long distance, but come on, we all know it's not gonna work and it's gonna turn into a shitfest where both sides suffer from constant suspicion, even though they pretend with all that bullshit trust and shit.
>>
>>7773656

I'm in what is basically a long-distance relationship although we are in the same country. I see her once or twice a month during term time, during summers and christmas holidays a lot more.

It definitely isn't for anyone but I don't have time for a proper relationship anyway and I'm way too spergy to have one-night stands so I have nothing to lose.

But being in uni in two different countries just seems like it's super doomed to fail.
>>
>>7773649
I know. I just feel so happy now, I think i deserved a bit more time of happiness. Feeling loved by someone is such a nice thing, after struggling with so much shit and depression.

I wish I could just be asexual until my 30s, settled somewhere, then search for good love, no need to move around.
>>
>>7773656
>>7773666
OP here again. I don't think LTR is gonna work. If we had been together for 5 years then maybe, but it's too son for something so long-term (4 years of uni, an ocean apart, fuck me).
>>
>>7772806
>>7772760
I got into mcgill, u of t, and queen's (currently there in geology) with about a 86% average, so they aren't too difficult to get into, although I did have very strong extra-curriculars (I was being recruited for a sport). I also was in virtually every hard elective you could pick in HS (all sciences, all maths, comp sci, AP, etc. and no basket weaving, etc.) The other solid canadian choice I would say is UBC and (maybe) western? I don't know, I hear western is all partiers now.

I fully support Canadian schools and think they are really good (Queens just won the Nobel prize in physics), but they are definitely way easier to get into than other schools in foreign countries. (Although the only other schools I applied to, Syracuse (USA) and Essex (Britbong) both accepted me as well).
>>
>>7773527
Do so many engineers go to finance because of the money?

Is it really that much better than other sectors?
>>
>>7773634
I've heard UChicago is somewhat notorious for low GPAs. Keep this in mind if you want to do grad school someday.
>>
>>7772670
>>7772762
>>7773676

Ayy, forgot about Waterloo. I also got in there (my shitty backups were MTA, uOttawa and Trent). Keep in mind that the St. George campus (downtown) for U of T is much harder to get into than the others in the boonies. It is divided into colleges of which Trinity is apparently by far the most prestigious. I got into St. Mikes and New College if I remember correctly.
>>
>>7771802
you having a laugh m8

Cambridge is the pinnacle of undergrad maths. Oxford is obviously top notch, but no undergrad course compares to the rigour and prestige of cam maths.
>>
>>7773634
All gfs seem great, uni is a whole new ball game. I saw many "high school sweethearts" break up, cheat, and fight at university. People don't realize how crazy it gets when you are suddenly in a small city of young, attractive people and some slut is rubbing up on you at a house party. Any problems you have now will multiply ten fold at university. And her lack of ambition will become more and more painful for you to watch the older you get.

I was in the same position and broke up. I'm from a small town and my ex-gf stayed behind because she was lazy and stupid like everyone else there. I remember trying to talk to her about stuff I learned in class that I found interesting and her eyes glazed over and she fell asleep all the time. I know it sounds "elitist" or whatever, but a lot of these people with no ambition are not as smart as people that attend uni. I'm not saying that to be mean, but you try to explain even basic shit to them and they dont even try to understand it. They would rather just be stupid and ignorant.
>>
>>7773529
Okay, I'm a complete outsider here, but I thought Baylor was the top school in Texas?
>>
>>7773697
right, I am talking more about the departments and the kind of research they do.

i agree with you for the teaching
>>
File: image.jpg (395KB, 1340x1608px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
395KB, 1340x1608px
Bros, what university has the most rigorous physics programme? I fell for meme shit like UCL, but in all honesty in experience what is it in actuality?
>>
>>7772762
These are entering averages for 2012 and I would say this is a pretty accurate picture of the top schools in Canada. I keep seeing schools like Carleton and Dalhousie "ranked" way too fucking high in USN and forbes and all these other magazines. These unis (especially Carleton aka Last chance U) are notorious for being shit and if you want a job in Canada are best to avoid.

To be fair though, I would say most degrees in Canada are half decent. It isn't like the US where you can slap a sign on a lot in the a strip mall, call it Dave's University, and give out degrees for blowjobs.

McGill 90.3 (89.6)

UBC 89.6 (86.3)

Queen’s 88.7 (87.7)

Waterloo 88.4 (85.1)

Western 88.2 (86.0)
>>
>>7773634
I've had many gfs, currently I don't have any. I don't feel any worse.

Breaking up is not a big deal OP, and you'll easily find a new gf at uni. I will advise you however not to judge her for her lack of "ambition". Everybody lives life how he/she sees fit, and eventually we will all die, and the memory of us will dissapear soon after. Approach people with an honest and kind heart, and you can't hurt anyone, not your gf, not yourself - regardless of what decisions you make.
>>
>>7773728
In Britain you'll learn the same basics no matter where you go, that's mandated by the IOP. Now obviously some places will teach you more and some will have different emphases, so it really depends on what you mean by "rigorous".
>>
>>7773730
This. They're all essentially the same. There's no real difference in quality like the USA because they're all publicly funded and have to adhere to the same standards.
What does separate them though is research activity, international reputation, size, endowment, etc
You'll learn the same shit at Western as at U of T, but U of T is larger, richer, bigger math faculty, has the Fields Institute.
>>
>>7773743
Bang on. This is true for most countries outside of the USA. It obviously varies by country, but in most western nations, there is a national body that ensures that all institutions calling themselves a "university" provide the same basics. It is a protected term in most countries.
>>
>>7773333
It is possible that Berkeley is better than Oxford. Don't make judgements based off of historical reputation.
>>7772283
>>7773232
>>7773253
UCL is ranked higher on LinkedIn for finance jobs.
>>
>>7773232
Assuming this isn't bullshit, any tips on how to get an internship/full time offer. I'm still a first year at UCL but I want to be prepared
>>
>>7773728
Obviously the best physics school
UC Berkeley
>>
>>7771599
>ETH
>UCL
>Imperial
In no particular order.
>>
>>7771831
Come hang in Canada. But be warned, from December to April, it is cold as fuck.
>>
>>7771831
>aplying to Cambridge soon
>deadlines were in October
Is this about grad schools?
>>
>>7773246
That's the state of the British economy, m8. Financial services, research or leave the island for another nation which actually has a functioning, tangible economy.
>>
>>7773277
My university is ranked at 300
>>
>>7773277
here's your answer, mud student
>>
>>7773830
God I hate this country
why do I have to get a degree?
why can't I just work in a small shop somewhere in the countryside?
>>
>>7772806
Lol they're honestly not even really comparable. If you're American, it's like comparing getting into a not very good school like Syracuse vs getting into a low ivy
>>
>>7773232
>>7773246
>>7773443
>>7773449
>>7773454
>>7773506

In the piece of third world where I live it's also common for engineers ending up in finance. I always thought that is because engineers can do much more math than bachelors of economics.

>>7773527

Nice to know that the engineering program at my university is similar to the program at Imperial College.
>>
>schools outside US
>talking about Berkeley
Not even Harvard or Princeton? Come on guys.
>>
>>7773999
Check'd. Berkeley is ranked higher than Princeton for several STEM and non-STEM subjects, and I think it ranks higher than Harvard for at least Physics. I know that Harvard and Princeton trump Berkley in terms of reputation but only high-schoolers and people who care more about "prestige" than learning care about reputation.
>>
>>7773931
The only thing stopping you from doing that is your egoism/ambition, not your prosperous country.
>>
>>7771615
That's not true. The ETH contains only Mathematics, Science & Engineering on Bachelor Basis. There's Military Officer and Managment on Master Basis, but no arts etc. which makes sense, because the Uni Zurich is right next to the ETH. Also, in 2017, there'll be a medicine bachelor at ETH, so there'll be 2 medicine bachelor's in Zurich. Oh and they're building a train station under the main building right now.
>>
>>7774010
prestige is literally all that matters for college..

it's not like one professor knows more about physics than the other..
>>
>>7774049
What about metrics other than teaching quality like research quality, citations, etc.? And when it comes to academia I don't think it's very likely that a Harvard student will be seen as above a Berkley student just because of the Harvard brand name. Besides, most admissions tutors know how colleges rank and their grade inflation/lack thereof, which is why a 3.8 from Berkley with good undergrad research experience is more impressive than a 3.9 from Harvard with some experience.
>>
>>7773315
Seconded. Manchester Physics Best Physics.

We don't do things the way those poncy southern unis do it, we get stuck right in lads.
>>
>>7774150
also you can actually get laid and have fun here
>>
>>7773728
manchester
>>
>>7774155
>I go to college to get laid
I pay literally thousands of dollars a year to get lucky and probably get laid.
>>
>>7774046
>all this post with no useful information

are you seriously bragging

also pls talk about masters, no one cares about undergrad
>>
>>7773442
high levels of criminality not possible in other industries
>>
>>7773700
I did this shit when I was 14. I don't get why university students won't fucking study instead of this shit.
>>
St. Andrews is pretty good.
>>
>>7772283
>UCL for girls
M8, youre in London and you need Uni to meet girls? get a hobby and have a social day once a week.
>>
>>7773253
m8 you'd better be in a decent bonus pool or you got jewed
>>
What do you think about KTH?
>>
>>7773442
consider the responsibility of each position.
banker screws up -> billions out the window, for junior traders at least in the millions
engineer screws up -> some lightbulbs fail a few hours early
>>
UofT doesn't require an elite grade average to get in, but good luck maintaining elite grades in the university past the first year.

The curriculum is notoriously harder than other Canadian universities. This is a fact, and the bullshit myth about the school lowering grades to keep up appearances is not. There's a reason people shun UofT for undergraduate studies, because for a lot of people, it damages the chances of them getting into a graduate degree program.
>>
>>7776539
>engineer screws up -> some lightbulbs fail a few hours early

More like a bridge falls down an hundreds die.
>>
>>7776712
an engineer with that much responsibility will be far up the ladder and be earning tonnes anyway. it's also considerably less likely than trader losing money.

whereas even a junior trader is responsible for tens of millions
>>
>>7771599
Might I suggest Durham? It's pretty chill, you have more lectures but I think the assignments are easier. This is for physics though.
>>
>>7776720

Engineers generally have systems in place to hopefully catch an individual's mistakes, true. This is because human lives are at stake (as well as large quantities of money).

However, it is entirely possible for one or few people to screw up and have things collapsing and people dying as a result. One of our lecturers used to include as many examples as possible of such events to drive the message home. There was even a guy on /sci/ who built some system which ended up killing someone (and he wasn't deemed responsible because it happened due to operating outside of safety bounds, however even in constructing it he knew it could be dangerous and would likely routinely operate outside those bounds).
>>
I went to Imperial and did Physics. Now I'm a PhD student at UCL.

Pros:
>Employability in shit like finance is very good
>Generally good online resources, there's fucking tons of past papers for acing the exams
>Fairly nice location

Cons:
>Lecturing is generally (60-70%) shit
>No pastoral support of any kind
>No interest from Academics in helping students get into research. (Compared to what I've heard from other places) A professor killed himself in another department because he was being bullied into publishing more, they don't have time for your shit.
>You're going to have to put in work to get grills, if you don't have natural talent.

So, if you can look after yourself with regards to work, mental health and love life and just want a slip of paper to go get six figures from the city, it's a good choice. If you don't want to have an terrible life and/or have a genuine interest in the subject that you want to foster, go elsewhere. If you can prove yourself competent anyway, it makes little difference in academia where you went (unless it was shit).
>>
>>7776759
How much work did you do a week? Was Imperial Physics hard in terms of workload?
>>
>>7776739
unfortunately the number of deaths caused is not how the magnitude of a cock up is measured. It is in the financial cost to the company.

What is a handful of people suing for a few million (that likely won't have to be paid anyway) compared to billions?
>>
>>7776759

What do you think about UCL?
>>
>>7776797
Basically nothing for most of the term. Unless there was coursework, then I'd pull an all-nighter. In exam period (i.e, 6-7 weeks before first exam until last exam) 1pm - 10pm everyday including weekends, with a break for dinner.

Of course, during the term I'd be busy with applications for internships/PhDs, but that isn't too taxing.

Hard? I don't know. It was a lot of literal work and effort but there wasn't much in the way of very hard to grasp concepts. But then, I chose not too hard courses. You can fiddle your options in the years 3 and 4 to make things much easier (i.e stay the fuck away from quantum).
>>
>>7776814
At an undergraduate level I can't say because I don't have much interaction with undergrads

At the PhD level, fantastic. The working environment is very warm and friendly (even the senior academics are lovely) and as a more emotional person it's much better for getting work done that working 10 hours a day. Supervisor is great, work is interesting, lots of opportunities. Great stuff.
>>
>>7776834
Would you say this is similar to the workload at Oxbridge? I'd prefer to stay in London, but I want to work as much as possible if it means I know more than the next guy.
>>
>>7776878
If you just wanted a first it's probably something similar. If you want to get pushed to learn as much as possible, then I'd say Oxford is probably the better choice. Having 2 on 1 tutoring sessions with a top academic who almost certainly has an interest in you doing well is a massive resource.

I mean imperial is a lot of pressure to survive the course and get a good job, but not much above that. No one is checking if you've done problem sets, they just wait a year and give you an exam. Most of my hard work was self motivated for a better mark on my CV.
>>
>>7776915
This is pretty accurate I'd say

From what I've read and heard about oxbridge they have a lot more support and encouragement to get work done and people checking on them and whatnot.

I think the main difference is that oxbridge culls the people who can't cut when you apply whereas imperial does it after you get in.

Either it's great for employability.
>>
>>7776958
Can confirm. Get almost no support at Imperial.
>>
>>7776308
Because the people who got into good unis weren't the ones at 14 y/o house parties fucking sluts, so when we go to uni we escape the judgement of those that were stopping us and get to have fun for a bit
>>
If we're sticking in UK unis then I think Warwick's worth a shout for economics. I go there for chemistry which isn't the best but Warwick Business School is up there with the best and has really good commercial contacts and employment prospects
>>
>>7776915
>>7776958

As someone doing Physics in Cambridge I can confirm that the amount of support given is massive. You have meetings with a director of studies (for study stuff) and a tutor (for other stuff) at the beginning and end of each term. Usually these last 5 minutes and are perfectly useless, however if you actually have something you need help with it's very good. Essentially it removes any reservations you may have about approaching someone since you have to see them anyway.

Supervisions are the bigger attraction, although the quality of the supervisors is a bit variable (they can be anything from grad students to senior staff) I've never had a bad one. Basically they go over your work with you and a peer or two every week in all your courses. This means that you really are pushed to do the problem sheets, and that if you can't do something this is spotted and explained to you. One of my supervisors for a course later this year will be the guy lecturing the course, which should be great.

The university is big but the colleges, which deal with your day-to-day non-studying things, are smaller (although their size varies greatly). Which is good because it keeps things more personal and helps you avoid being just another face in a mass of thousands, at least on some level.

Finally, the students themselves are very supportive. Especially other people on the same course and college as you can help a lot.

Having said all that, there definitely are people here who still manage to not get shit done. And the workload is quite intense, especially given how short the terms are. Which means your so-called holidays are likely to be spent balancing between recovering stress and catching up with term-time work and revision.
>>
>>7777106
>This means that you really are pushed to do the problem sheets

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have problem sheets for imperial Physics students
>>
So what's the next best school after Oxford and Cambridge?
>>
>>7778452
Like another Anon said
> ETH
> UCL
> Imperial
In no particular order
>>
>>7777083
>economics
>business

Get out.
>>
Lancaster for Physics, it's well amazing.
>>
>>7778559
>>7777083
>>7776729
>>7776522
>>7776473
>>7774159
>>7774150
why are you posting meme universities as though they're up there with the worlds elite?
>>
>>7778700
>but we're number 2 only to MIT in computational memetics according to the 2015 Guandong International University Rankings
>>
File: complete university guide.png (24KB, 666x248px) Image search: [Google]
complete university guide.png
24KB, 666x248px
>>7778554
>>7778711

It's not completely baseless, yes I'm bitter I didn't get into oxbridge but if we're talking about unis apart from those two then I think it deserves a mention at least
>>
>>7778700

Because the topic of the thread is literally

>After oxbridge, what are the best non-US universities?

And given these conditions the universities posted here are about what you'd expect, looking at just about any ranking.
>>
>>7773173

Warwick is top tier for math, it's mostly Cambridge rejects though
>>
>>7773200
I know that feel bro. Got into Christ Church for Physics instead, so its not that bad actually
>>
>>7778730
My point is that nobody on this board is going to give a fuck about what uni is the best for economics or business-anything.
>>
>>7777106
What's the workload like at Cambridge for physics specifically?
>>
>>7778730

Haha, failure. Kill yourself.
>>
>>7779607

Workload is quite heavy, but it is doable provided that you maintain decent working habits both during and between terms. You can get through even without decent working habits but you'll likely have a bad time.

Depending on the year of study and your subject choices there's around 9-12 lectures per week, 3-4 hours of supervisions and maybe 10-15 hours of labs/practicals and such. Supervision questions take 1-3 hours each day with a large variance.

These don't seem to add up to too much, however timetabling and things being spread around the town add quite a bit of hours into your daily schedule. I think the university's stance is that working for 8 hours/day should be enough, which might be a good approximation. Quite often I have my first lecture of the day at 9 or 10 a.m. and I return to my room around 6 p.m. with supervision stuff still left to do, however some days are easier.

Also Natural Sciences have lectures 6 days per week, so Saturday lectures are a thing at least during first year.

Terms are 8 weeks with about a month in between. During the holidays you will likely do most of your revision, any leftover supervision questions (there usually are quite a few), whatever else your supervisor feels like setting you (usually past paper questions) as well as projects/reports/assignments. So while holidays leave time to relax you are expected to get work done during them and will be in a bad position if you don't.

I can't say how it is relative to other universities since I haven't been to any.
>>
File: supremeAutism.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
supremeAutism.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>7771611
>study in France
>get shot in europe
>>
>>7773506

I once sent in a job application to one of the Wall Street financial companies. I didn't get the job. I assumed it was because I was in Math and they seemed to be looking mostly for Physicists.

About three years later, a prof I knew told me that that company paid extremely well, but about the only chance of getting a job at that company is with a physics degree from an Ivy League school, preferably Dartmouth.
>>
>>7773506
>but what finance applications do physics or engineering have?

Modeling. Predictive systems.
>>
Did oxbridge change their application system this year?

my school normally had a 50% oxbridge success rate, but this year it was like 15% for some reason
>>
>>7779854
Fuck you for posing that.

I just lost another week of productivity to distant worlds speadsheet autism.
>>
>>7780988
They finally implemented AA probably. Your school is too privileged and white you shitlords.
>>
>applied for electronic & electrical engineering
>have offers from Bristol, Birmingham, Cardiff, Loughborough and Southampton
>liked Southampton, has the nicest department & is ranked next to Imperial
>but Bristol is more 'prestigious' overall

What should I do?
>>
File: yissss.gif (3MB, 325x234px) Image search: [Google]
yissss.gif
3MB, 325x234px
>applied for physics at Oxford only
>unconditional offer
tfw
>>
>>7781832
Don't go by overall statistics, how exactly do you benefit from an exceptional history department?

Also Cardiff engineering department is literally across the road from halls, it's worth it for the convenience alone.
>>
>>7781838
Do you get extra points by applying to only one university?
Are they aware you did so?
>>
>>7781876
Thought cardiff was a little naff, but thanks for the advice.

Probably going to end up firming Soton, has the strongest EE department. It's also 25 minutes away from home, which could be a positive or negative depending what way I spin it.
>>
>>7776739
Holy fuck, do you have that thread saved?
>>
Can anyone give a hand on this thread?
>>7781363
>>
>>7781878
I don't think you do, you just pay less for UCAS
They are not aware, although I did specifically mention Oxford in my personal statement so I guess that gave it away
>>
>>7781878
No, Oxford has extensive admissions exams, if he had an amazing MAT score for example he may have been admitted on that alone.
>>
>>7779854

Jesus Christ. Tell me at least some of that is automated.
>>
>>7781900
90+%?
>>
Studying Physics next year. Which uni is better Warwick or Nottingham? Warwick seems to rank more highly but thats mainly for maths and I've heard Nottingham's quite good for Jobs and stuff. I've heard Warwick's more of a post-graduate uni.

Also got Southampton and Bristol as backups and am officially a Cambridge reject as of 2 days ago (fucked up interview).
>>
>>7781907
You can automate everything from your economy to your political decisions to construction queues to your fleet movements (including attacking and conquering/bombarding enemy planets) and even to redesigning your ships automatically so your latest models optimally incorporates your best technology.

...on the other hand you can also do fucking everything manually, you can even take command of the the smallest irrelevant trading ship if your current laws allow it. You can usually do everything better than the AI too, especially ship and station designs and combat micro management.
>>
>>7771599
University of Bonn
>>
>>7779854
What is this autism?
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.