[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Answer this
You have the simpliest circuit in the world:
A lightbulb and a switch.
You turn it on for an hour, then you switch it on and off for an hour.
Which takes more energy and why?

I was arguing about this with my friends for like 3 hours. My logic is that if you switch it on and off regularly it takes half of the energy needed to be lit for an hour. They said that a single click to light it needs more energy. It's an analogy to car engine. You need some fuel to turn it on but it takes less fuel when it's on.

Which is right and why?
>>
Depends:
If the circuit is using direct current, you're correct.
If alternating current is used, They are correct that it takes more energy, but for the wrong reason.
It has to do with just how many Joules/coulomb you can squeeze out of a modern-day battery source.
Hope that helps.
>>
>>7771652
Btw most cars today are extremely efficient at start up. If you are stuck in traffic with low gas it is usually better to turn the car off at stops.
>>
You are right and they are wrong. They are probably confused because they heard that will wear out the bulb faster (which is true), but it won't use more energy.

You can see that's the case even without a current meter. If switching it on used more energy, that energy would still have to go somewhere, ie light or heat. It doesn't create a bright flash of light, so that leaves heat. Does the bulb heat up instantly in a flash, burning your hand if you are touching the bulb when it turns on? No, it starts out cool and takes several seconds to warm up.
>>
>>7771573
>single click to light it needs more energy
In principle, yes, but only for a fraction of a second. The reason is that the initial current is much higher than the nominal current which produces I^2R losses in the wiring. The initial power of a 230V/100W lightbulb is about 1.5kW. That's why they light up so fast and always blow at switch-on.
>>
>>7771573
>A lightbulb
>in the 21st century
fgt pls
>>
>>7771573
Depends how often you switched it. Mythbusters did a project on this
>>
>>7775182
>science
>mythbusters
choose one
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.