[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I lost my parents as a teenager and became homeless. I missed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1446403304711.jpg (3MB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
1446403304711.jpg
3MB, 1800x1322px
I lost my parents as a teenager and became homeless. I missed out on high school education, but I've been saving up money to go to college for the last 5 years. I still have about a year of saving before I feel comfortable going to school with enough money to fall back on. I want to major in aerospace engineering by attending a community college and then transferring to a major university (there is a good school and program in my area to do this).

Has anyone here succeeded in college without a strong background of education and support?

What should I be learning on my own before I attend school?
>>
>>7771027
>aerospace
About 30 years too late, fampai
>>
>>7771027
Large universities have support structures for people in your position. Community college may be rougher. Aerospace is a crowded field.

However a lot of fresh out of highschool undergrads lack discipline to get all that they can out of their degree. What you lack in youth. You make up for in having your shit together.

Are you in Dallas by chance?
>>
>>7771027
I never went to school and wasn't given education beyond basic numeracy and reading/writing.

I am now studying engineering a top uni. It's possible if you have the brains and the dedication. I wouldn't class myself as exceptional among my class and I think the average engineer would be capable of doing the same so you don't have to be a genius, just capable of being an engineer.

What I did:
1: got all the books for the entrance exams
2: found a place that would allow me to sit them without being a student
3: study like a madman
>>
>>7771027
Nice pic, but I prefer the one where they're playing poker.
>>
>>7771085

lul'd.
>>
>>7771027
My situation never turned as severe as yours, but I dropped out of high school after a psychotic episode
Wasted a few years before I got my shit together enough to get a GED. I'm in 3rd year of a math major now.

You can do it if you're willing to work at it, because like >>7771055 said a ton of freshmen are shithead kids that aren't taking it seriously

Good news is that American high schools are a joke.
All you really _need_ starting an engineering program is algebra, trig, some basic physics, and maybe a bit of calculus would help. You can learn that in a few months if you're serious.

The rest you'd just be learning in advance.
>>
>>7771027
Visit the university and see if you can set up any meetings with advisors or professors in your desired major. They know alot more about what resources may be available to you than you do, and establishing a network with these people may really come in handy later when you are competing to get in (maybe an early word on deadlines or extra scholarship opportunities that pop up). Plus if you are really interested and prove it, you may get to interact with some projects to some degree.

Just practice, and study, on being professional. It will really make a HUGE difference
>>
I never went to high school either OP. I got a GED and I'm a senior in chemistry. My GPA is 3.8 and it hasn't been a huge struggle. The biggest difference I can feel is my gaps in knowledge of math, but it's easy enough to learn as you go.
>>
>>7771027
I'm unschooled and started college having never even stepped foot in a high school. I literally could not figure out what I had missed (and still can't). You have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>7771027
>diogenes.jpg
>wanting so succeed anywhere within society
>>
>>7771545
You missed the
High School Experience™ ;^)
>>
>>7771523
Seriously you're allegedly senior year of chem. and you still feel like you have knowledge gaps in high-school math?

Either most of you posters are lying faggots or chemistry is more of a meme degree than I thought it was.
>>
>>7771027
OP my parents were also killed when I was young, I was raised by pack of wolves until they found me as a wild child who couldn't speak a word of English.

Eventually when I got out of the system I got my shit together and I signed up for CC classes, despite my disadvantage in only having one functioning eye and working part time I was able to get transferred to engineering at a top 5 university programme and I'm this year graduating Nuclear Engineering with a 4.0 GPA and I already got a placement at the top grad-school programme in the country.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.