[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How high does your IQ have to be to solve a petaminx?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: petaminx.jpg (164KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
petaminx.jpg
164KB, 600x600px
How high does your IQ have to be to solve a petaminx?
>>
You could teach a 5 year old the algorithms behind it.

He would most likely need a cheat sheet but he could do it.
>>
>>7770762
I mean actually deriving the algorithms yourself.
There's not much puzzle solving done when you're just given a walkthrough, right?
>>
File: 1452234351537.jpg (34KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1452234351537.jpg
34KB, 400x400px
>>7770782

Do you mean "deriving the algorithms" on the fly or implementing the algorithms on the fly? Because on is possible but not the other. One is also dependent on the other. One takes hours, perhaps hundreds of hours for a noob while the other would take minutes, perhaps even seconds but most likely minutes.
>>
>>7770757
What is the IQ of the person who created it and therefore must have been able to solve it? This would at least give an upper bound.
>>
What does your autism spectrum have to be to want to bother?
>>
File: GE5fJVw.sized.jpg (27KB, 640x427px)
GE5fJVw.sized.jpg
27KB, 640x427px
>>7771290

>creating a puzzle
>being the most adept at solving it
>>
>>7771290
Just because you invented the puzzle doesn't meant you know how to solve it.
It took Rubik a fucking month after he invented the 3x3 before he actually figured out how to solve it, or so I've heard.
>>7771288
I mean a person, who's never read a howto on this type of puzzle, sitting down in a closed room with a shuffled petaminx and solving said petaminx.
>>7771307
I'd like to at least fiddle with one...too bad they're priced in the $200 dollar range.
>>
>>7770757
if you had never heard of rubiks cubes and the methods to solve them and managed to solve one of these within several months you would probably be genius tier

but these days the algos are so well known and documented that its really more of a memorization thing
>>
>>7771352
>>7771367
Well I'm assuming these are being marketed and should actually be solvable. Are toys still sold that have unknown solutions? Anyway I was just trying to answer the question you spergs.
>>
>>7771403
>Are toys still sold that have unknown solutions?
These kind of puzzles are always solvable. They are produced in solved form and then randomly shuffled. You could repeat the exact opposite sequence of actions to put it back in solved state.
>>
File: 1452300318957.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px)
1452300318957.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>7771367

Well if someone sat down and tried solving it for the very first time then they'd have to first derive a set of algorithm for common task solves and then combine those algorithms into a larger process to solve certain distinct sub puzzles.

Regardless, they'd first have to derive some algos that they repeat various times to work their way to a solution.

They cannot just start solving that sphere unless they're some sort of savant with a spatial IQ of 900 or something.

>>7771403

Are you serious? The picture shows it as being solved and every single move they make can be reversible back to the previous state. However, due to the complexity of this toy in relation to the 3x3 original rubiks cube I'd speculate that there's actually moar ways to arrive at a solution in brute numbers than with a 3X3. And in fact more types of shortcut algorithms will probably be necessary in order to optimise the solutions than would have been so with the 3X3 cube.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.