[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Reading a scifi novel >They refer to am arbitrary "range"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1446581606536.jpg (1MB, 2380x2753px) Image search: [Google]
1446581606536.jpg
1MB, 2380x2753px
>Reading a scifi novel
>They refer to am arbitrary "range" for a spaceship
>No mention of Delta V

Let us discuss the silly things in scifi, and suggest good hard scifi.
>>
>reading sci-fi
>they say op is not a fag
>>
Perhaps their calculator auto-calculates the furthest destinations based on their available delta-v and a preset time limit. ^^
>>
What type of ship is it?

Where in space is it?

Could be many reasons why they aren't using Delta-V.
>>
Once you have the technology necessary to create interstellar craft (which is what almost all the craft are in the cases you're describing), dV doesn't matter. You won't have to fuck around with orbits, you can just go right in to your destination.

Besides, the relevant metric isn't "what change in velocity can your starship effect", it's "how long can your ship survive out in the wild and what's the maximum distance it could travel in that time." There will be a maximum safe velocity for any craft and a maximum safe acceleration, so the maximum range is the distance you can reach given maximum acceleration to maximum velocity, traveling as far as your craft's resources can sustain you, and then decelerating at your destination.
>>
Maybe I'm just autistic but this is the reason I refuse to indulge in many movies shows and shit. I mean I really enjoy horror and supernatural shit, specially Lovecraft because it's supposed to be about things beyond our comprehension or that we simply can't explain/understand, but most sci-fi just triggers me because it tries to pass off its shit as not-magic and doesn't even try to make it consistent.
>>
>>7768482
Supposedly The Expanse series is pretty hard scifi. The Mars Trilogy and The Martian are also supposed to be hard scifi.
>>
>>7769387
>because it tries to pass off its shit as not-magic
no, it tries to pass its shit off as a plot device

if you go into a movie created for entertainment and expect to be given an accurate lecture on scientific phenomena then you've misunderstood the point of watching a movie
>>
Im reading the Eon series by Greg Bear. Not the hardest of sci-fis but has some interesting concepts and ideas.
Also Solaris by stanislaw lem which is more of a philosophical book but also very good. Some mindfuck and horror themes
>>
>>7768482
I recommed you to see the anime steins gate. It was some god-tier sci fiction story.
>>
>>7769748
>see the anime
>not watch the VN
>>
>>7768482
Ship takes off from planet, just kind of flies away from it at a quick but steady speed like gravity is constant regardless of distance from planet.

Often even more problematic is the huge amount of potential energy the ship has gained in what appears to be a near trivial task of breaking orbit. Made more glaring when some other setup fails to have enough power to function.

>Sure we got enough power to break solar orbit, but you are taking about powering a toaster to toast TWO slice of bread at once and we just don't have that kind of power supply.

Extra deductions for just hovering there like gravity and tons of metal don't attract with out any signs of support.
>>
File: R333-I56.png (38KB, 115x159px) Image search: [Google]
R333-I56.png
38KB, 115x159px
>>7768482
>No mention of Delta V
Real space ships don't run on ancient physics.
>>
>>7769982
This sort of shit scifi only really occurs in hi-tech fantasy novels, like Dune and stuff.
Legit science fiction either takes into account real space travel, or uses something so far advanced that the technology might as well be magic, avoiding the need to publish fucking papers on how it works to satisfy autistic nerds like you.
>>
>>7769999
There is a guy in omaha trying to build a ship that would behave exactly like a ufo, being able to accelerate absurdly fast and avoid g forces acting on the occupants. Its probably a dead end, but it still makes me smile to imagine him succeeding and seeing the shitstorm it would unleash
>>
File: millenium-falcon-sketch.jpg (272KB, 1342x842px) Image search: [Google]
millenium-falcon-sketch.jpg
272KB, 1342x842px
>>7770007
Hey now, no need for name calling. I mean I accept a mass nullifier, so long as it does not violate thermodynamics. I am sure someone could make work within those large limits, no detail blueprints required, although a scaled sketch is nice.
>>
>>7770017
there would be no shitstorm, someone would arrive at his house and take his shit while he dies of a heart attack
>>
>>7770093

I'd like to them try as his house levitates and flies away
>>
I read Blindsight a while ago, and while I enjoyed it a lot overall, there was a part where the aliens were mentioned as having ATP that had me cringe a little bit.
>>
>>7770093
His shit is patented tho
>>
We don't need Delta-V with our atomic rockets! Just more nukes!
>>
>>7768482
Presumably, "range" is how long it takes for the crew-supporting consumables to run out, or possibly how long it takes for half the consumables to run out so the other half can be spent returning.

You could even construct a distance-based maximum range: At full thrust burning half of your delta-V, how far out will you get before you exceed half of the maximum mission length? Or: Starting at Earth, what is the farthest circular orbit you can reach with a Hohmann transfer before you either exceed the maximum mission length or run out of dV?
>>
>>7771079
Other factors limiting mission length besides life support and energy: radiation exposure, low-gravity health effects, mental stress due to insufficient long-term habitat accomodarions, maintenance, cryogen boil-off...
>>
>>7771082
Or perhaps it's a craft reliant on beamed power, and thus has a maximum range based on beam range, or depends on solar wind or solar power and thus has a maximum range from the Sun.
>>
>>7769387
I feel the same way.

Most horror and spoopy stuff doesn't try to force-feed you a suspension of disbelief by saying "haha look how sciencey it is!! xD"

sci-fi just makes me cringe
>>
>>7771079
It doesn't make sense to construct a distance based scaling on dV. If you burn half your dV, there's no guarantee you can get back; if you burn more, there's no guarantee you can't. Once you reach solar escape velocity all bets are off as far as distance- so anything with a dV above a threshold has effectively limitless range, but can perform only a few maneuvers. Time based dV would make the most sense since oxygen filtration, food, and crew morale are some of the most limiting factors.
You wouldn't usually call circularization of an orbit a "hohmann transfer" because that implies change of sphere of influence (transfer between two planets, etc.)
>>
>>7771099
I meant time based range.
>>
>>7770093
>>7770707

He will be raided and his computer will be found to be full of CP.
>>
>>7771100
That's what I was talking about, though. Burning half your dV gets you up to a certain velocity; your time-based range then gives you a distance based on that.

Why use a distance-based range at all? So you can say things like "This spacecraft can reach Mars orbit from Earth, but doesn't have the range to reach Ceres"
>>
>>7768677
>dV doesn't matter.
?
Physics doesn't magically disappear even if you have higher density fuels
>>
>>7772060

It really depends

Excess power/fuel enough so that you needn't even bring it up when talking about your "range"

Outside of the bounds of gravitational bodies (say, waking up from deep space sleep)

Difference forms of propulsion, such as atomic rockets, where you'd measure what you can do with how many nukes you have combined with other factors like dV (it'd be a whole new equation)

Anti-gravity/reactionless drives, which follow their own laws; say needing a gravitational mass to push against or needing specific quantities of solar energy for whatever you need to do

So on and so on.
>>
>>7771115
you faggots are paranoid, the government would get the largest boner of all time if they could start claiming new planets in the name of the USA. We would go from superpower to absolute hegemony, and the people making the ships and setting up the trade routes would become wealthy beyond comprehension.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.