[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to write a paper?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: .1352026883059.jpg (83KB, 600x412px) Image search: [Google]
.1352026883059.jpg
83KB, 600x412px
Hullo /sci/

How does one go about making a scientific paper? I am a first year college student, but recent experiences have lead me to believe that it would be possible to work on something and maybe publishing it during college. Namely, asking one of my profs about various things and getting a surprisingly positive response, while catching from other sources that certain students are selected from the first/second years and tutored/taken in as assistants. But still, I don't know what to do.

Do I ask the teachers and they give me something to do or what? I would much prefer to write on something of my own choosing, but given the fact that I still do not know enough to do that makes me willing to accept a professor's subject as long as they tutor me.

Wat do? I've had many pleasant experiences while talking to my profs and they were extremely receptive especially since I went through much of the class courses and subject matter beforehand, yet I feel as if asking them for something so big so early would make them scoff at me.

I'm relatively uninitiated in how one goes about such things since I've spent most of my life up to this point playing vidya games and reading about this particular subject. Given the fact that I am studying a relatively obscure STEM field coupled with the fact that it is a competitive and economically important subject, I think there might just be a chance of doing this.
>>
>>7766458
Didn't you just make this thread an hour ago?
>>
>>7766458
Fucking google it there are a ton of lectures on this exact topic
>>
>>7766461
Nope. Looked around for something of the like or something regarding publishing papers but I couldn't find anything. Could you link to it, pl0x?

>>7766466
r00d
>>
It depends on your field, but from my experiences, getting to be an author on a scientific paper as an undergraduate requires a lot of work. Try to find a professor whose research interests align with something you may want to work on.

If you show the initiative to propose a project within their general realm of knowledge, I'm sure they'd be happy to mentor you. I'd try to find one, preferably, who has yet to secure tenure, and is still churning out publications. Work under them, and if you keep at it for a few years, you might end up writing a paper with the professor.

If you're in an experiment-based field, it may take longer than you'd like to get enough data to make a meaningful publication. Considering you're an undergraduate, you may get a single publication, which puts you in an extremely good position for graduate school.
>>
>>7766954
A lot of fieldwork and experimentation is required, but the profs are quite active, and some of them are experts in the fields despite the Uni being quite obscure and in a poor country, kek. I was not sure if I could just do this, I thought there was some required way to go about it. I guess I didn't think of them as normal people, it's still a bit of a disconnect how open and chill they are to high school teachers.

There's 3 weeks reserved for experiments and fieldwork, so that might not be that big of a problem, now that I think about it. Thanks for the help, senpai.
>>
>>7766466
Fuck off tripfag
>>
>>7766458
what's going on in your picture?
>>
>>7767449
It's from a trading card game. Don't actually play it myself, but I browse /tg/ a lot.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=174915
>>
>>7767330
what subject would you write about?
>>
wrote down my answer before you deleted the first version of the thread
reposted it here

>>7766457
>>
File: .biyori qt.png (818KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
.biyori qt.png
818KB, 1280x720px
More than one prof agrees to show me how to get samples, how to properly document myself and even let me access their libraries and databases. One in particular took me under her wing after I showed interest and allowed me to work together with her on a batch of samples shipped from Italy. She was very enthusiastic about it all and introduced me to PhD/Masters students who could show me more. I can also use several labs now, which is pretty nifty considering undergrads cannot use them under normal circumstances.

She and a couple of other profs agreed to show me how and what to do in more detail in the following weeks and that if I can handle the workload they'd be willing to let me help and join in field trips.

Thank you for the advice /sci/, I never thought having access to resources to explore my passion would be so easy nor that the people involved would be so warm and welcoming.

>>7767509
There are many formations that I could analyze and then compare to others, with enough literature and articles on the subject that I think it would be doable. Some of my profs have an active interest in this, and after talking to them I found out more than one who would be willing to help and I worked on samples for most of today.

What I have in mind is relatively close to my home but also representative for a large area due to certain factors. It might not be the most innovative piece I could work on, but it's quite safe; I'll ask the prof if it's a good idea regardless.

>>7767519
Thank you, famiglia. I deleted it in order to add a subject, as most threads without one tend to get ignored.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.