[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

neurons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: nn.3317-F1.jpg (35KB, 946x557px) Image search: [Google]
nn.3317-F1.jpg
35KB, 946x557px
Hey so i am working on an artpeice.

I want to use the image of a neuron connecting to another to symbolise positive change and the actual science of habits and thoughts building your reality.
I am no sciencer. but i was inspired by a friend of mine's explanation that emotions are the result of neurons connecting or detaching as you form or destroy new associations etc
I dont think i know enough to research wether this is actually true or works like that and id like to understand more before i use a neuron as symbolism. I also understabd theres multiple kinds of neurons, so which would work best?
If this isnt the best place to ask, can you direct me sonewhere better?
Thanks a bunch:)
>>
>>7766383
diabolism - the ultimate fallacy of the human brain.
>>
>science
>still hasn't solved the Hard Problem of Consciousness
>>
File: 151324124.jpg (16KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
151324124.jpg
16KB, 292x257px
>>7766564
>implying it will ever be solved
>>
>>7766383
Neurons don't work on yin and yang voodoo.
They spit blocks of chemicals at each other.

There is no electrical current running through us like wires.

The membrane potential change is just a signal that the neuron has received clumps of shit and should spit its clumps of shit at the next one.
>>
>>7766582
I dont understand the yin yang shiz on the picture either. I saved it cuz it looked cool and it needed a pic.
But what about certain synapses off neurons needing certain recievers for certain chemicals like happy ones, making more bonds as you think more positive thoughts? Or accomplishmore things for positive chemical reinforcement...
As i said before, i dont science very well and im sorry if what im talking abouy is actual puesodwcience bullshit. I want to understand and i appreciate input
>>
>>7766559
Shhhhh
>>
>>7766383
watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMYJn2-1u2Q
>>
>>7766582
>no yiny-yang principle
what is inhibition/excitation-balance
duuuuuuude come on please put some more effort into all this
>>
>>7766725
Imperial represent!
>>
>>7766678
I'm really not sure what you mean or want.

But there are over a hundred kinds of known Neurotransmitters and receptors for them.

They can have either excitatory or inhibitory effects, so I guess there's your happy and sad yin yang or whatever.

As for how pathways come about and reinforce, well I can't actually think of how to put it in a post really.

You could say synaptic plasticity comes down to how often the pathways are used, but that's dumbing it down a thousand shades.

Watch some videos of slime mold solving mazes. If nothing else they look cool.
>>
>>7766383

Neither the remarks nor the image (especially not the image) make any sense at all.
>>
http://www.curiousapes.com/the-science-of-happiness-why-complaining-is-literally-killing-you/
When i goofle a mumbo jumbo of keywords that try to describe, this is the best result.
I want to believe but i dont think it's that easy?
>>
>>7766856
No it's not.
He's taking a simplified concept of neuro plasticity too far.

These emotions and hormones are hard coded, you can't just eliminate them by choosing not to use them.

And besides, it implies we have powerful mind bending free will, and aren't just the shadow puppets of our subconscious that we are.
>>
>>7766875
Could you possibly do it over an extended period of time or is he really super pushing it, possibly with a hippie agenda?
>>
File: 1452137081939.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1452137081939.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
Thanks for responding you guys.
This is what i am working on.
Out of the two lower rainbow circles i wanted a neuron to symbolise changed habits, mirrored on the other side by a tree to signify growth.
Back to being stumped wtf to put there
Oi vey auugh
>>
>>7766944
I've never tried it, nor studied a control group over an extended period of time. So I can't say it's not possible with 100% certainty. I'm no professional with a lifetime of experience under my belt.

But in my understanding it makes no fucking sense without magic, and reads like obvious bunk.

It's like monks with superpowers. As a kid I wanted to believe it, but I just don't see enough supporting evidence.

I'm going off on another tangent here, but I'm assuming the changes in brain function of these monks (if you know what i'm on about) were the result of the brain adjusting to extended periods of shutting out their senses and being in isolation, not by force of will.
Sorry for the rant.

tldr
I don't know, but I doubt.
>>
>>7766963
Dont appologise for your rant. I value your opinion, especially since i dont know what i need to in order to ensure my art actually makes sense
>>
>>7766383
>>but i was inspired by a friend of mine's explanation that emotions are the result of neurons connecting or detaching as you form or destroy new associations etc
the truth of the matter is that we don't know exactly how emotions are represented in the brain.
>>7766564
basically this.

>>7766678
we don't know how memory formation works in neurons, we are pretty sure the synapse plays a role.
>>
>>7766567
It will because nothing paranormal was ever pointed out around it... nothing indicates that consciousness is anything more but a physical phenomena.
>>
>>7766875
>And besides, it implies we have powerful mind bending free will, and aren't just the shadow puppets of our subconscious that we are.

This is just a fear you have, actually humans have infinite freedom of expression from their awareness, your subconsciousness just agrees on things that keep you alive and constantly shuts you up to not mess that.. other than that you pretty much control everything.
>>
>>7766959
That's not art, that just retarded acidhead meme drawings.
>>
>>7767043
Alright if you say so :)
>>
>>7767048
It is acidtheme thing.. new age people do but as an artistic work is nice, you have talent.
>>
>>7767092
I feel more like I'm utilising older symbols from ancient people and intuition rather than anything associated with a drug induced expience.
I could see how youd think that, as certain sybols have become prevalent in our culture in conjunction with those typse of themes ... I draw on those slightly. But i try to not do so strongly
>>
>>7766383
>emotions are the result of neurons connecting or detaching as you form or destroy new associations etc

They aren't. Emotions and thoughts are electrochemical impulses that propagate through the neurons, albeit the strength of a connection might change during this ("fire together, wire together"). When a connection exists, the strength (thickness) can very greatly.

TL;DR: Emotions are not neurons
>>
>>7766990
Who on earth told you this? It's inaccurate. Even down to the political party you happen to side with, it's all your subconscious tricking you into thinking you've made a conscious decision. Sure, we do have some free will, but not as much as you'd like to think.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.