[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /mathematics as escapism/ here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: yes_to_no.png (58KB, 236x308px) Image search: [Google]
yes_to_no.png
58KB, 236x308px
Who /mathematics as escapism/ here?
>>
The older I get the more insane it becomes
>>
>>7765978
i always liked hard videogames because they challenged me to git gud at them

math is the ultimate hardcore videogame in this sense
>>
>>7765978
Me to be honest
>>
>>7765991
This
>>
>>7765978
Me too, love videogames and maths, but while doing maths, people admire you instead of bitching about you being lazy. Would recommend 10/10.
>>
Me. Bunch of uncontrollable life problems are occuring so I'm throwing myself into the coursework for next semester.
I'm almost done with one of my math courses :(
>>
>>7765978
Same. Since my mother passed a few years ago.
>>
>>7765978
I wish I had the balls to do this instead of chemistry. It's too late for me now, and you can't escape into chemistry the way you can mathematics.
>>
>>7766145
I escaped into it after a particularly bad break up.
You can escape into any subject you want. The thing is, how much do you hurt?
>>
I wish I had more motivation. I barely feel pleasure from anything and friends asking to play games and playing them is less work than sitting down and doping math. I like solving shit though. I'm just a depressed fuck and it is getting worse rather than better. All the joy is sucked out of life and even playing games or going out feels like a huge chore. Sure am glad anhedonia has no cure.
I'd love to do some work recreationally again. I used too. I'm just dying inside more and more as the years pass.
>>
I tend to use everything as "escapism" in the sense that I live like the main character in a game I'm playing. Pure math lets me feel like a wizard what with all abstract and arcane symbolism that only the initiated can read and understand.

In fact, I'd wear robes and carry a god damn staff if I had it. Fuck what everyone else thinks, they're all NPC's to me.
>>
>>7767463
>Everyone else is just an NPC
I share this feeling
The hero's journey can get pretty lonely at times though, right?
>>
>>7767563
tfw dont know how to multiplayer
>>
Good to know I'm not the only one. I never talk much with my colleagues, but they all (most of them) seem like socially adjusted people. On the surface I too seem socially adjusted, but in reality I abandoned all friends and family.

>>7766093
So much this.
>>
>>7767463
That's pretty much why I went into science. I wanted to be a real wizard.
>>
In my relationship
>anon you are so immature and you never listen to me
>"would you mind proving it?"
>all you do is tell me your point of view and then you seem to ignore everything else I say. it is like the only thing that matters is your opinion
>"I am sorry, this is not proof"

In math
>be studying topic A where textbook introduces theorem X and subsequent lemmas
>be confused or perhaps skeptical of theorem X or lemmas
>search for proofs of theorem X and proofs of lemmas and find pleasantly explained step-by-step explanations
>all problems resolved.

Mathematics gives me extreme comfort and a sense of security in knowing that things can be explained, something that cannot be said in the real world. Mathematics is the only thing in life that is keeping me off the balcony.
>>
Wow so much autism here. I seriously hope you're all just joking.

I feel exactly the same though.
>>
>>7765982
>>7765991
>>7766082
>>7766085
>>7766093
>>7766136
>>7766145
>>7766809
>>7767563
>>7767582
>>7767585

Real men use alcohol as an escape.
>>
>>7768345
Have you ever heard about a woman doing maths?
Maths is the ultimate manly activity. Nothing is as manly as proving theorems
>>
>>7768345

Real men lifts weights and get jacked as an escape.
>>
>>7768279
>>"I am sorry, this is not proof"

kek'd. Literally the personal life of every mathematician ever.
>>
>>7765978
Mathematics had always kept my mind at bay; sometimes frustrating, but mathematics will never leave by your side unlike women and fake friends.
>>
>>7768724
>Have you ever heard about a woman doing maths?
Yes, I'm personally acquainted with quite a few.
>>
>>7768724
The best mathematician with whom I am personally acquainted is a woman, and others would corroborate this.
>>
I always enjoyed the process of mathematical thinking but I never actually tried to learn it more deeply. Is it possible to learn complex math by yourself? Where should I start?
Though playing chess kind of reminds me of solving problems, so if you like math, maybe you'll get into chess.
>>
>>7768279
>Mathematics is the only thing in life that is keeping me off the balcony.

>“There was a footpath leading across fields to New Southgate, and I used to go there alone to watch the sunset and contemplate suicide.
>I did not, however, commit suicide, because I wished to know more of mathematics.”

Salvation through mathematics, keep the tradition alive based anon.
>>
>>7769300
As you get farther along, it can get hard to interpret things or know where to go without an expert to talk with.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.