[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Infinite monkeys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: karl-pilkington.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
karl-pilkington.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se2RN1t-XVI
@4:20

Is the stats major right here?

Infinity makes it infinitely probable does in not?
>>
>>7763809
What the fuck is an A-level
I'm finishing my bachelor's in statistics and I'm sure that the probability converges to 1
>>
>>7763822
A level is basically what we take before university.
GCSEs into AS level into A level into Bachelors
>>
>>7763836
Why do Brits think that graduating high school is a great achievement
>>
File: chavs.jpg (24KB, 640x389px) Image search: [Google]
chavs.jpg
24KB, 640x389px
>>7763840
Because it is for the most part. Up until fairly recently very few people went to university.
>>
I was always wondering about this:
The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

If that is true then why dont we use monkeys to write awesome storys?
>>
>>7763849
Let's say you had infinite monkeys and infinite time. You would still have to sort through an infinite amount of gibberish just to find the awesome story.
>>
>>7763849
Karl get off 4chan
>>
>>7763845
lmao brits are so fucking dumb
>>
>>7763922
Just get more monkeys
>>
>>7763849
Because money and death.
>>
>>7765461
fuck off. i did a levels and am in uni in the usa and 80% of the chem, phy, and math i was doing in HIGH SCHOOL is in class here lmfao. ameridumbs i swear
>>
Ricky is such a closed minded fuck
>>
>>7763922
Here you go, plenty of awesome stories https://libraryofbabel.info/
>>
>>7765678
To do what? Randomly pick out stories for you? Then you have the exact same problem, finite gems among an infinite amount of crap means you have zero chance of finding the gem.
>>
>>7763809
top tier trolling, fuck ricky gervais
>>
infinite monkeys + infinite time = infinite shakespeare
>>
>>7766991
Why does it say on the bottom
>By this art you may contemplate the variation of the 23 letters
But there are 26 letters in the alphabet?
>>
>>7767035
get more monkeys to sort through them to find the best ones
>>
First of all, it's a physics problem, not a math problem, because before everything would be reduced to almost nothing in the universe before even a minuscule chance of it occurring. Not a 100% chance of it occurring eventually as Ricky says.

However, Karl makes a brilliant observation around 2:45 when he says "what's stopping the monkey from simply repeating something over and over forever?"
>>
>>7767441
Karl is right though. What's stopping the monkey from forming a repeating sequence? The requirement that the typing be random?

If it's random, the odds of the experiment being forcibly stopped (say, by the sun encompassing the earth) far far outweigh the odds of Shakespeare being written.
>>
>>7763849
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards
could produce the complete works of Shakespeare;
now, thanks to the Internet, we know that it is not true."
– Robert Wilensky, UC Berkeley (1996)
>>
>>7767446
>>7767441
Respond dammit.
>>
Karl and Ricky are my favorite useless cunts in the world.
>>
>>7763809
Not a stats major but if you give the monkeys a keyboard with the alphabet and common that's 35 characters.
Romeo and Juliet has 83,223 words and the average word is 5.1 char or 6.1 if you include spaces, so you have 507880 characters
If the monkey is random then the chance of it typing romeo and juliet in (1/35)^507880 which is 5.26787E-784202 extremely small. Lets call this number P, 1-P is the probability that it doesn't happen. So the probability that it has happened after N tries is (1-P)^N.
But since N is infinity in this case and (1-P)<0 the probability that it doesn't happen is 0.
Which coincidentally is also OP's chances of ever getting laid.
>>
>>7767515
top kek
>>
>>7763809
Moronic. Monkeys are machines, they aren't random generators, and they aren't magic. They create outputs depending on their state, and their inputs. There system will likely give a clustering of outputs.

Infinite monkeys do not have infinite states. The question is not meaningfully addressed through statistics. You need to reverse engineer the monkeys in questions and factor in their environment.

Any other answer is an answer from an idiot who isn't attempting to represent how the real world works.
>>
>>7770419
>There system
Oh my. Their*

I've done it now. The moment I hit post and saw what I had done, I hated myself and the shameful act I had committed.

Time to end it all. Goodbye 4chan.
>>
>>7766152
DESU it's the same way in the US. There is a lot of overlap between advanced HS work and entry level college work.
>>
I had an "argument" with an idiot about this a day ago.

And the answer is that very few persons understand what infinity means.
>>
>>7770947
What does infinity mean, Anon?
>>
>>7770949

I don't answer questions.
>>
>>7770424
I did that on his the other day, some mfalord pretended to be me and corrected me for myself
literally strangest act on 4chan to date.

anyways 100% agree with your statement, there's no conditions applied for how the monkeys will type randomly, and there is also no definition as to how shakespear would be 'written'.

If only the number of correct letters were to be given sequentially to one super computer looking for shakespear, then the answer is yes, an infinite number of monkeys would type shakespear instantly. But what is instantly if you have an infinite number of monkeys, did you just cherrypick the right answer or did the computer take *time* to compile the data? Remember, an infinite number of monkeys must take an infinite time to compile.

There is no answer because the mechanisms are paradoxical in nature, and there aren't enough real parameters to give decisive arguments, or, bad dialogue.

now there's an incidental paradox, if from A to infinite B must type on the keyboard, then what is the perameter of time and why would we think it needed to be infinite?
>>
what would happen if you had an infinite amount of shakespeares?
>>
>>7771009
"I could be bounded in a nutshell,
and count myself a king of infinite space,
were it not that I have bad dreams."
– Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2
>>
>>7771009
you'd have a bunch of plagiarists
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.