[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>picking one area of expertise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1445037344198.jpg (83KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1445037344198.jpg
83KB, 400x267px
how the fuck do you decide what you will study for the next 4-5 years? this is insane. what if you lose interest?

i'm interested in superconductors, CPU architecture, heat exchangers, propulsion systems, chemical explosives, protein synthesis, nonlinear PDEs, energy storage, machine learning/cryptography, lithography/crystallography, electroactive polymers, josephson junctions, multijunction solar arrays, all both in theory and in application. am i fucked? some anon here said do material science, electrical engineering, or physics. pic related.
>>
>>7762445
if you can't even decide what to study at uni then what hope is there for you?

also why are you asking on /sci/ rather than /adv/ and why did you choose a meme picture that makes me hate you?
>>
How do you get to undergrad level and not know what topics you're interested in?
>>
>>7762454
Get help. Seriously
>>
>>7762472
shut up faggot, I'm not the one that needed a bunch of dribbling idiots to tell me what to study.

you're the one that needs help
>>
>>7762465
Its not that i dont know i just like a lot of them
>>
>>7762475
You're butthurt enough to not answer the question and whine. Get help.
>>
>>7762483
you're really thick
>>
>>7762478
Then pick the ones that are the most useful to you.
>>
>>7762497
but that would be a physics-mathematics degree
>>
>>7762454
>>7762465
Not OP but I'm in this situation and I've read around and there are a lot of people like that too. I figure my reason is that school gets you into the habit of just completing the course work and not really thinking too much about anything else. I can get good grades easily but I'm still not too sure on what I'd actually like to do. Even if something strikes your fancy now it's not like you know enough of the details of it to make an educated opinion until you're deep into the program.
>>
>>7762445

Go to a technical college for the first two years.

>Come out with 2 year Associates with general transferable credits
>courses easy enough to study your interests in your own time
>no debt
>>
>>7762494
And you're thin-skinned.
>>
>superconductors, CPU architecture, heat exchangers, propulsion systems, chemical explosives, protein synthesis, nonlinear PDEs, energy storage, machine learning/cryptography, lithography/crystallography, electroactive polymers, josephson junctions, multijunction solar arrays, all both in theory and in application

All of those things are themselves very broad areas of study. I assume you're going into a graduate program..? You're fucked if you don't get help.

Most people end up working on topics very closely related to their advisers' topics of expertise, for obvious reasons.Not just in grad school, but it's true for undergrad as well. My undergraduate adviser did her PhD thesis on quantum groups and gauge theory, and so for undergrad, she helped me form a specialization in standard model gauge theory. In grad school, I'm likely to be working on further developments in this field, or very closely related things. See?

You need to actually do research with someone. If you don't apply yourself, your interests men jack shit.
>>
>>7762445

you'll lose interest sooner or later no mather what. Pick something you like and has good prospects, then just push throw it
>>
>>7762623
>no debt
what?
>>
>>7762454
Because /adv/ sucks
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.