[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is spanking actually bad for kids, or do kids of stupid violent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 144254-145798.jpg (49KB, 635x611px) Image search: [Google]
144254-145798.jpg
49KB, 635x611px
Is spanking actually bad for kids, or do kids of stupid violent parents merely inherit (genetically) violent and stupid tendencies?

Are there any double blind randomized controlled twin studies on this or is it all correlational bullshit?
>>
>>7761106
who knows

better do some maths
>>
>>7761106
If spanking was a genetic behavior, it would be more prevalent now not less.

Why do retards on /sci/ think genetics accounts for everything
>>
>>7761106
I was spanked as a child.

I've only punted my cat across the room twice, seems I turned out fine
>>
>>7761117
Are you saying that inclination to resolving issues with violence isn't in part attributable to genetics?

Why would it be more prevalent now if it were so?

And this faggot:
>Gershoff reports that Straus and Stewart (1999) found that 94% of American parents spank their children by the ages of 3 or 4.
claims it's still very prevalent, despite the shift in cultural attitude toward hitting children.
>>
>>7761106

Too much spanking is bad for kids.
Too little spanking is bad for kids.
Too much discipline is bad for kids.
Too little discipline is bad for kids.

These are dumb questions.
>>
Spanking is good. Human brains are susceptible to operant conditioning. Liberals are retarded as usual.
>>
>>7761117
>Why do retards on /sci/ think genetics accounts for everything
Because genetics account for everything you are
>>
>>7761132
Why not just teach your kids to not be little shits?
>>
>>7761117
>Why do retards on /sci/ think genetics accounts for everything
Actually the other possibility is that kids who don't need to be spanked are less aggressive and more intelligent, thus not needing to be spanked as they can be more easily reasoned with or whatever.
>>
>>7761138
This is obviously a joke right?

Do you honestly believe that genetics accounts for more than parenting, environment, diet, society, culture, life circumstances etc.?
>>
>>7761151
Not him but yes.

Genetics controls hormone levels, neurotransmitter regulation, brain structure, fucking everything. Fuck up a person's hormones enough and all the environmental influence in the world won't do shit. Remember that we're just physical objects, and our genes basically determine how we get built.
>>
File: 1450000869616.png (201KB, 598x292px) Image search: [Google]
1450000869616.png
201KB, 598x292px
>>7761156
>Fuck up a person's hormones enough and all the environmental influence in the world won't do shit

Please specify which hormones you're talking about.
>>
>>7761163
Epinephrine, testosterone and oestrogen spring to mind.

If you can show me a parenting style that will counter the effects of either of the above I would be extraordinarily surprised.
>>
>double blind randomized controlled
would be impossible to get past an ethics committee / IRB

>twin studies
would be hilariously underpowered (type ii error)

>or all correlational bullshit
you cannot simply dismissing any study that is not an RCT as "correlational bullshit". There is an entire field called epidemiology which is dedicated to the proper design of observational studies that are used to infer causation.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against the use of physical punishment as a form of child discipline. There is a large body of evidence that supports this. You can either start here http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0915/p1001.html , or ask your family doctor or pediatrician.
>>
>>7761233
>http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0915/p1001.html
There's literally no evidence in here, it's just a statement.

>you cannot simply dismissing any study that is not an RCT as "correlational bullshit".
It's a pretty weak form of evidence, and should not be relied upon as a primary source of data.

>There is a large body of evidence that supports this.
Remember the phrase:
>the plural of anecdote is not data
>>
>>7761156
>get a load of this uneducated person
>>
>>7761261
>get a load of this blank slate retard that thinks that a pigeon could compose better music than Mozart if only given the right training
>>
Spanking can't be done alone or in anger, it doesn't teach the child what they had done is wrong.

If you're going to spank the child, they need to understand why they're being spanked. Like if your kid nearly gets hit by a truck because they were being a dumb fuck on the road, then you should spank them just to let them know that if the truck hit him, they would've got a lot more than a spanking from the truck.
>>
>>7761256
lol it's pretty clear to me that you don't know what a "primary source" actually is.

>>There is a large body of evidence that supports this.
>Remember the phrase:

Did you hear this from your high school statistics teacher, and think repeating this makes you sound smart?

We are talking about a large body of scientific evidence here, not "anecdotes". Here is the AAP's position paper: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/101/4/723 .

Since it's obvious that you don't understand why I am referring you to this paper, I will give you a hint: scroll down to the references and you can find over 30 papers of accumulated data
>>
>>7761106
>>7761125
/thread
>>
>>7761106
>Does spanking work?
Probably

>Does not spanking work?
Definitely

>Is there any reason for corporal punishment when parenting without it is just as effective if not more so?
no
>>
>>7761383
And an actual parent answers the thread.
>>
>>7761123
>1999
>>
Spanking kids is bad coz the fucking policeman comes and puts daddy in jail for a night and he cant see the kids he loves for a week until all the police and social service reports are in.
Then comes a full year of fucking monitoring...
>>
>>7761558
Oh, and little fucking jonny got slapped upside the gead twice because he and his 3 12 year old schoolfriends was treating his 5 year old kid sister like a dog and making her lick their boots. (Just so you know).
>>
>>7761106
I don't care whether it's good for the child or not. If I wasted 9 months of my career only to give birth to this little dipshit, then he better be perfect or I'll beat the shit out of him.
>>
>>7761273
>get a load of this fucking child who can only view the world in black and white simplified extremes and can't wrap his tiny mind around the idea of complex, interconnected systems
>>
>>7761563
+i+s or @+fo
>>
File: highres_68037342.jpg (629KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
highres_68037342.jpg
629KB, 1600x1067px
>>7761383
>>Does not spanking work?
>Definitely
Yes, clearly. Has no negative effect at all. Glad we all stopped spanking. Hurray.
>>
>>7761256
yes it is. thats exactly what data is.
>>
>>7762728
For all you know all of those kids had an abusive childhood.
>>
>>7762852
I think we both know that's just not the case friend.
>>
>>7762927
>I think we both know that's just not the case friend.
Pre-emptively backing my claim:
The story goes that those who are spanked are more aggressive and violent. The people pictured, the general demographic they belong to, are hardly well known for their aggression and physical violence. Most of those people have probably never fought in their lives.
>>
>>7762931
Not all people who get abused are violent. Some people who were hurt a lot as a child are actually heavily opposed to violence. I'd say physical discipline can teach the young not to bully others or think too highly of themselves but will probably cause emotional instability and depression.
>>
>>7761139
Because a 2 year old likely doesn't know what 'manners' or 'behavior' are.
>>
>>7761125
this
the right amount of spanking/discipline is a much wider range than most people believe i bet
>>
>>7762947
Indeed. Anyway I'd really want to see some control for inherited temper issues/low intellect. The notion that low-IQ, violent people are more likely to spank their kids who are themselves liable to be low-IQ and violent themselves seems to me at least as plausible as the notion that spanking makes people more violent and less intelligent.
>>
File: 1437384953180.jpg (196KB, 985x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1437384953180.jpg
196KB, 985x1280px
Spanking?
My wife was spanked a lot as a child and now she gets off on it, I was only ever threatened with it but now I get off on spanking others. What dose this prove? Not a damn thing.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.