[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: Mochizuki.jpg (121KB, 630x763px) Image search: [Google]
Mochizuki.jpg
121KB, 630x763px
Hey /sci/,

I just got accepted to uni for math with comp. sci major. My computer is on its last legs, and I am thinking of investing in a new PC for before I start. Any suggestions?

My budget is less than 1.5k€.

Thanks

>pic unrelated
>>
File: cluster.jpg (344KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cluster.jpg
344KB, 1600x1200px
>>7759763

Just get a bunch of old thrown out PC and hook them together
>>
>>7759763
Get thinkpad, install gentoo
>>
>>7759780

Never worked in Linux, why is gentoo good?
>>
You need fuckall for CS. any piece of shit computer will do as long as it supports an editor
>>
>>7759787
It's not, please don't fall for the meme. If you've never worked with Linux before definitely get Ubuntu or something, it'll make your life a lot easier, especially in a stressful environment like uni.
>>
File: earl.png (464KB, 637x581px) Image search: [Google]
earl.png
464KB, 637x581px
>>7759774
kek
>>
something light, energy efficient and capable of running multiple displays
>>
>>7759790

I have been pranked. I presume thinkpad was also part of the meme?
>>
>>7759794
no, thinkpads are amazing and gentoo is only good if you know what youre doing.
>>
>>7759794
No. Thinkpad is genuinely solid. Just don't use Gentoo if you've never worked with Linux before.
>>
>>7759793

What do you use/would you recommend?
>>
>>7759796
>>7759795

But you guys would also recommend ubuntu?
>>
>>7759798
Debian. Ubuntu without canonical cruft
>>
>>7759806
Is there a hefty learning curve to adapt?
>>
>>7759801

yea since the likely alternative is windows 10
>>
>>7759790
>>7759801
Ubuntu a shit because of Unity. Get Fedora, seriously.
>>
>>7759801
Just any linux distro you're comfortable with. I use linux mint it's pretty good. But you'll want to use linux for CS because it's way easier to get all the compiler tools and shit there.
>>
>>7759818
Alright, cool thanks :)
>>
>>7759817
What about ArchLinux?
>>
>>7759823
That'd be the same thing as Gentoo to a newcomer.
>>
fuck off to /g/ retards
>>
>>7759823
really stop listening to /g/ lol
>>
>>7759806
Kubuntu is better imo. Debian stable is ancient.
>>
>>7759848
Kek, all I really wanted was advise on hardware from some experienced math degree peeps.
>>
>>7759823

Just use ubuntu, it takes a long while before you need arch. Im doing upper grad CS and I use ubuntu since it just werks
>>
Get a Mac.
>>
>>7759763
Get the new macbook pro, that shit is sick mate
>>
Here is good built for your purposes

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wDrQpg

It uses an APU with very low power consumption to save money in the long run since you don't need much speed if you don't play games.
>>
>>7759763
Assuming you're going with a laptop (do so), I've had both macs and thinkpads (T series), and I prefer thinkpads. Both have good build quality, but macs aren't as Linux-friendly. You have enough budget to get a good model of either.

Since you're doing CS, I'd recommend using either OS X or Linux, with a personal bias of Linux.

>>7759790
There's definitely an opportunity cost to factor in here with Linux. Stick with a well-documented and well-supported distro and take a week or two out of the summer to set everything up.

>>7759823
Arch is okay if you read the wiki carefully and choose a desktop environment that isn't totally bare-bones (I like XFCE). You can experiment with fancy tiling window managers later when you're more comfortable.
>>
>>7759763

Just get a new macbook pro that will last you many years. You'll probably want something you can use for everything pretty easily rather than a laptop you have to constantly fuck with to do what you want. Your time should be valuable to you.
>>
>>7759763
After skimming through the answers, /sci/ is retarded for computer advise. Get a thinkpad (new or used T, W, X series) and dual boot windows and ubuntu.
>>
>>7760791

>use a dual boot

He has 1.5k at his disposal he's not poor like most of us.
>>
>>7760795
What's your point? Why wouldn't you dual boot? What's your alternative? Get two laptops and carry both around? Why?
>>
>>7760801

You could use a mac.
>>
>>7759763

Here anon. Stop being a dipshit

http://pcpartpicker.com/
>>
>>7760804
>muh mac because i've money
how about no
>>
>>7759763
Congrats on acceptance.

So, for your purposes you won't need a lot of computing power.

Even if that is the case. You should be given access to several university VMs running anything from ubuntu to Centos.

If you want to pay for assured quality I would side with a Lenovo Thinkpad(Laptop). Those are consistently nice laptops.

If you start going into things like Intelligent Systems analysis, or computer graphics I would recommend buying a high end ASUS gaming laptop.

The scientific computing stack that is popular at the moment supports Nvidia accelerated computations and solvers(CUDA). They're dominating the Machine learning field right now.
Asus tends to put Nvidia cards in their gaming laptops so there you have it.
>>
>>7760825

>What is streaming over Uni wifi to your built computer
>>
>>7760807

>dual booting between unix and windows over and over again

You must hate yourself on principle
>>
>>7759763
If you're gonna use your computer for studying and programming, literally anything goes, and you don't even need 0.5k€.

It's on the gaming that people blow their precious bullions.
>>
>>7760853
>over and over again
I use windows when I need it (that is, when I have to work on visual studio)
I use ubuntu because it's faster and nicer to code for other things
switching OS takes about 20 seconds when I need to do a different task. if you don't need to, you don't.
>>
I thought this was /g/ for a minute..then I realized that /sci/ is just a bunch of monkeys who can code and do some math..
>>
>>7759811
Not really. Just make sure to read the wiki and get a live non-free iso (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/)
>>
>>7760795
I am not rich, I'd have to sell all my audio equipment and be an SAT tutor this summer to afford; the cheaper the better for sure.
>>
>>7760825
Thanks for the advice, it seems like Thinkpad is the comment consensus :)
>>
>>7760805
Lol, I was asking for advice from people that have experience in what I wanna study
>>
>>7761499
Even a 20 year old 386 CPU is fast enough for coding.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.