[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the legitimate strategies for placement and shooting in battleship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 9847499.jpg (36KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
9847499.jpg
36KB, 250x232px
Are the legitimate strategies for placement and shooting in battleship (other than 'don't shoot where a ship wouldn't fit in' of course), or is it all just randomness and maybe a sort of bluffing-type metagame?
>>
>>7758328
make them all touch alongside the borders or put them all in one corner/side
those are the only two strategies I know of
>>
>>7758328
and if you are shooting do it in some pattern eg
start with j1 -> a10 leaving two spaces, after each shot, then do a1 -> j10
after you hit a big one with a two-space pattern switch to a one-space pattern
>>
>>7758328
git gud
>>
>>7758328
Hide your ships in the void. Start with the smallest lying against an edge, stack the remaining ships on top, passing the boundary.
>>
>>7758328
>>>/tg/
>>
>>7758768
this
>>
>>7758328
Probably. There are strategies for Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Suppose that in the initial phases of the game, before any of your ships have been detected, your opponent has an equal probability of selecting every square on the grid. If he picks a square in the middle of the board and hits one of your ships, he will have four possible directions to move in after that. Ships are continuous, so he knows it extends into one of the four adjacent squares, even if it's the smallest ship.

However, if he picked an edge square and hits one of your ships, he will have three possible directions to move in after that. He will waste fewer misses in determining the rotation and position of your ship since it's rotation and position are constricted by the edge. Therefore it is superior to place your ships away from the edges.

This brings up "metagame" concerns; if you place your ships away from the edges, won't your opponent eventually wise up and stop aiming there? This is only an issue if you are playing your opponent multiple times, or if this edge-avoidance strategy is mainstream and well-known.
>>
>>7758372
SHIT strategy. anyone who played battleship more than once as a kid is aware enough of the metagame to check for this efficiently

placement performance is all luck, but you can use probabilities and a small amount of thought to eliminating the greatest number of possibilities with each shot to outperform most players

we used to play this as a drinking game in undergrad and i dominated
>>
placement should be random except ships should never be adjacent to each other

search should be done with diagonal search patterns
>>
>>7758328
The only way to win is to not go to war in the first place
>>
>>7758768
kek
>>
>>7758328
I'd like to see this game combined with chess, Knights making moves no idea if they're going to hit anything
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.