[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do protons, which determine atomic numbers, match up perfectly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: periodic table.png (79KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
periodic table.png
79KB, 1440x1080px
Why do protons, which determine atomic numbers, match up perfectly from 1 to 118? For example, the last element discovered, Ununoctium, has 118 protons. Is this just a coincidence? How come there are, for example, simply no elements that have 55 protons? Why aren't there any gaps?
>>
>>7758004

I know there is an element with 55 protons, but why? Couldn't it have happened that there wouldn't exist one? Why are there perfectly 118 elements with protons from 1 to 118?
>>
>>7758004
there may be more periods actually
>>
also it's not like there is any amount of 117 or 116 for example
scientist made them like from lego bricks, but the bricks collapsed
>>
>>7758004
>>7758014
If there wasn't any element with 55 protons, you could create it.
Some of these elements are unstable and don't exist in nature; or are at least very rare. Those are radioactive with very short half-lifes.
>>
>>7758004
It's just a state of being OP, even if an atom with 55 protons wasn't naturally occuring, an atom with 55 protons would exist as an atom with it's properties etc. Even though an atom with 118 protons doesn't occur naturally, we can "build" it and it'll have it's own properties etc.

It's a state of being, nkt like it's some organized table.
>>
Coz out of the primordial soup at the start of this big bang, quarks spun into a single proton, hydrogen, then to 2 protons, helium, its a simple system, but its how it works, add a proton, get a new element i believe the Germans are trying to make +128 as i type this.
>>
>>7758494
>i believe the Germans are trying to make +128 as i type this.
I'm German and I'm not doing anything the like.
>>
>>7758862
Dont you got a kitchen ?
>>
>>7758004
Because if an element didn't occur, we created it. Say there didn't exist an element with 103 protons - we could make small amounts of it in a particle accelerator from lighter elements. It might never occur naturally and have a half-life of only a few seconds to minutes, but it still existed for a time.
>>
>>7758004
And why would they not, OP?
>>
>>7760180

But isn't it weird that, if we only look at natural elements, there is an element with exactly 55 protons? And 54? And 56? Why can't there be gaps?
>>
>>7761541
Because if you throw a bunch of protons and neutrons together they'll eventually find a stable state where 55 protons are bound together with a certain amount of neutrons.

It would be extremely unlikely that there wouldn't be any with 55. Basically it just comes down to probability.
>>
>What is Technetium?
>>
>>7761584
Awesomeness.
>>
>>7761541
>But isn't it weird that, if we only look at natural numbers, there is a number 55? And 54? And 56? Why can't there be gaps?
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 600x720px
This is a graph of all known elements and their isotopes. An element is defined by how many protons it has. And an isotope is an element with a number of neutrons that is not the most common found in nature. Every element with more protons than lead, 82, is unstable, meaning it decays into multiple smaller elements and isotopes.
You can combine as many protons and neutrons as you like, as long as the ratio between the two remains on or near the red line in this graph. I don't know why this ratio is more stable, And I don't know why atoms with 82+ protons are progressively more unstable. there are no hidden rules saying you can't have like 20 protons or whatever, that's retarded. The public education system has failed you.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.