[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do some smart high school students want to do research?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: kitty light sabers.jpg (34KB, 400x261px) Image search: [Google]
kitty light sabers.jpg
34KB, 400x261px
Note: I am talking about NON-AMERICAN countries where you can major in Medicine, Law, etc as an UNDERGRADUATE)

Some high school students who got extremely good grades in their finals (i.e. good enough for Medicine in non-American countries) decide to major in stuff such as Physics, Anthropology, Linguistics, Chemistry, etc. in the hope of doing research in the future. Why would they pick that?

>If you don't have anything published, your funding will be cut and you will have no income
>There is no guarantee that you will like research and most people hate if over time
>Jobs are meant to be monotonous, not fun
>They can easily major in Medicine, Law, Actuarial Science, Dentistry science, etc and switch to research later on or do a Master's degree in their area of interest
>The market for researchers is very bad at the moment - it is 100+ people competing for a tenured professorship post and it will not be you getting that job
>Being an adjunct professor sucks as all the contracts are short-termed
>It is hard to even secure a mortgage with such unstable employment
>If you can't find any professorship job, it is hard to find anyone else to hire you as they know that you will go back to academia as soon as you find another professorship job, so chances are you will either end up unemployed or working at McDonalds during this time

Pic unrelated
>>
Fuck off.
>>
>>7757381
What? All the statements I've posted are true.
>>
>>7757379
why did you make the same thread again?
>>
>>7757389
Why not? I didn't get any satisfactory answers.
>>
>>7757379
Because they don't want to do medicine or law or dentistry or actuarial sciences obviously. Those fields are either boring, mentally exhausting, or both.
>>
>>7757408
>boring, mentally exhaustin
>implying research is not
>>
>>7757409
It might be mentally exhausting and sometimes boring, but it's definitely not as boring as actuarial science or fucking dentistry.
>>
>>7757390

You mean you didn't get the answers you were fishing for?

Fuck off posting the same thread.
>>
>>7757416
Not getting results for months (or even years) seems dull.
>>7757419
No, I really don't get it. You can do research with a Medicine/Engineering/Actuarial Science/Law/Economics/Pharmacy degree too?
>>
>>7757379
this again
>>
I like biology. I like biology with weird organisms (insects). So I do master's thesis work with them.

I tried premed.
I tried pharmacy.
I tried dental shit.

It's all boring, dumb, and requires you to interact and look at humans all day long. Fuck. That. Only soulless ching chongs and indians see it as the only way out
>>
because I'm not spineless, I have bigger aspirations than being a doctor.
>>
I got some guys at my uni doing Phd's in botany or other useless shit and work as researchers for less than 500 euros a month until 40 years old. sad losers
>>
>>7757446
>Not getting results for months (or even years) seems dull.

I wonder why you keep posting this thread so many times then, when by your own admission (>>7757390) you haven't gotten any results since you first posted (which was november at the latest)
>>
>>7758115
Lol you are just being picky.
>>7758978
>implying you can make a breakthrough discovery
>>7759482
This is different. I don't go broke from having no results.
>>
Because some people enjoy learning more about their world than practicing what they already know.
To some people money is to no value relative to knowledge
>>
>>7759625
>implying they can make a breakthrough discovery that changes the world
>>
>>7759629

You aren't even looking for a discussion. You're just here to shit on the same responses you get every time you repost this with your exact same same fucking answers.

Would you stop spamming this board with your shitposts?
>>
>>7759683
I an here looking for satisfactory answers. None of the answers I got are satisfactory.
>>
because they don't go spamming the same thread related to every board's topic
>>
I left eletronic engineering to graduate on mathematics. Why?

I like math.
I like being an assistant professor.

>>7757379
>Jobs are meant to be monotonous, not fut

If that's your point of view, you'll never get a "satisfactory" answer.

Also, consider suicide.
>>
>>7759747
>I like being an assistant professor
You could have earned more as an engineer.
Finding this job is tough as fuck. Someone will end up as a professor, but that will not be you. And really, research is not fun.
You won't get promoted unless the other professor retires or dies.
It is a fact that jobs are not meant to be fun. You are meant to help a company or organisation generate a profit.
>>
File: spooo.jpg (63KB, 626x792px) Image search: [Google]
spooo.jpg
63KB, 626x792px
>>7759758
(first time poster in this thread)
I agree with you that it's tough as fuck and I myself remove myself from academia because I think it's mad to stay there.
However, some of your reasoning like
>Jobs are meant to be monotonous, not fun
or
>You are meant to
sound extremely absurd. Nobody has to confirm to any guidelines. You can of course think about it and come to the conclusion that it's the best thing to do, to conform I mean, but to formulate it like life is some axiomatic playground and the rules are set is absurd.
Nevermind that you have no idea what the world will be like in 2030.
>>
>>7759920
>it's mad to stay there
Yeah, so why would anyone pick research?
>sound extremely absurd
This is the truth. Even my parents would agree. Most people hate their jobs over time.
>>
File: 1433286860911.png (153KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
1433286860911.png
153KB, 400x271px
>>7759954
>This is the truth. Even my parents would agree.
I don't think that's an argument, but I also don't think anybody here will change their opinions.

>Yeah, so why would anyone pick research?
I'm not an American and I didn't go to university to get a better job. Nor do I plan to become rich. It's a question of interest.
I refrain from academia because I hate stuff like writing grand proposals, which take so much time and doesn't make you smarter.
(To argue your opponents point here: A capitalist mindset is a meme - the only important part is health insurance when old. When it comes to fucking around, working on your fitness and social skills in your mid twenties will get you a more rewarding sex life than becoming a finance millionaire with 40. Working towards having great vacations is working to not work - doing Couchsurfing with no money in your pocket in your early years is more rewarding than taking your ol' wife to the Bahamas or whatever.)
>>
>>7759966
If my parents agree, if means that I am right.
>>
File: purpose.jpg (52KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
purpose.jpg
52KB, 720x720px
>>7759758
>You could have earned more as an engineer.
Some people consider other factors besides money when choosing their professions.

Engineering is really tough. Especially when you know you will spend all your time working on projects that you have no personal interest, just to help a company or organization generate profit.
I find that tough as fuck.

>And really, reserach is not fun.
Why someone would devote a lifetime to research if not for fun or personal fulfillment? We all know that is not for money.

Jobs can be fun. I'm quite happy with my work.
Meeting people who share the same interests as me.
Do researches based on my interests.
New students every semester. Make new friends.
Btw, the "other teacher" is a great friend. I do not expect him to retire either die.
And I earn enough to satisfy my material ambitions.

But obviously, people are different. They have different opinions, ambitions and purposes.
>>
>>7759998
>Why someone would devote a lifetime to research if not for fun or personal fulfillment?
Because they were stupid and had no idea research is tough?
>Btw, the "other teacher" is a great friend. I do not expect him to retire either die.
Lol this is bullshit.
>>
>>7759954
damn... your family seems to be very unhappy

im sorry for u
>>
>>7760009
...what?
>>
>>7757379

Because they fucking like the subject.

Why do artists want to do art?
>>
>>7760088
Most people burn out even when they pursued their passion
See my thread on /ic/
>>>/ic/2331270
>>
>>7757379
Most likely because they want to do independent or meaningful stuff for the society.

Countries won't usually dis encourage students heading this path, as this is the kind of job that generates high value for the country, although it's overcrowded as fuck and is difficult to come with good ideas.

Somehow we should be grateful for these students to exist, even if its a though path. Compare USA or Europe against these countries that generate revenue by doing "brain dead" manufacturing (not that applied engineering is bad, the problem is when no body want to focus in research, bad for the country).
>>
Your priorities are job security and a reasonably large paycheck. Those aren't everybody's priorities. Is there anything unclear about that?
>>
>>7757379
>>7757383
>>7757390

>look mom i'm doing it again

you have to be the dumbest motherfucker in this board, not even the schizophrenic namefags are as retarded as you. people told you to fuck off with your stupid greedy mentality and "but jobs are meant to be boring!" shit in every thread.
>>
>>7760097
you stupid idiot, the thread has nothing of substance other than the "30% of people are satisfied with their job" shit, and it's the same stupid fucking memes you've been throwing every time you post the thread here like taking this number to imply "everyone should be (and eventually is) bored with their jobs"

you are stupid beyond salvation
>>
>>7759482
underrated post
>>
>>7757379
Because people aren't spineless cowards like you and take risks. It's how some billionaires make it big, and how some researchers make breakthrough discoveries
>>
>>7757446
>You can do research with a Medicine/Engineering/Actuarial Science/Law/Economics/Pharmacy degree too?

This shows how much little you know about research, come back when you know what you're talking about
>>
>>7760322
>Most likely because they want to do independent or meaningful stuff for the society
Kek and how many of them actually succeed?
>>7760619
>priorities are job security and a reasonably large paycheck
Why isn't is everyone else's priority though? Sucks to lose your job and having to work at Burger King.
>>7760639
>"but jobs are meant to be boring!" shit in every thread
This is the truth though.
>>7760643
the thread has nothing of substance other than the "30% of people are satisfied with their job" shi
How so? That thread pointed out the truth.
>>7761000
>people aren't spineless cowards like you and take risks
Well, taking the risk is not worth it. Their quality of life will probably be higher as government employees.
>>7761004
>This shows how much little you know about research
These people can do PhDs too? I don't see what I got wrong.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.