[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The #1 STEM degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: 1426977594447.jpg (581KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1426977594447.jpg
581KB, 1920x1200px
Hey autismos, what's the hottest STEM degree right now? What's it gonna be in 2020?

I hear a lot of people splerg over CS, but isn't an EE degree just an applied and superior CS degree?

Is a math degree worth anything more than concrete proof of your autism? Is there 'bad' engineering degrees, or is it just memes upon memes?

>enlighten me

I'm probs going into MechE, but something like CompSci could be cool because I think AI / machine learning is dank af.

Happy New Years :^)
>>
>>7755960
Computer Engineering
>>
Mechatronic Engineering.You can work as both a mechanical and electrical engineer.
>>
>>7755970
Never do this, mechatronics is a meme degree.
>>
>>7755965
How interchangeable is CE with EE? At my uni they offer it as one major, Electronic and Computer Engineering (ECE).

>>7755978
Yeah this
>>
>>7755960
>Picking a degree based on whether it's hot
>Picking a degree based on whether drooling idiots on /sci/ think it might be hot in 4 years
>Spend the next 40 years at work, wishing you'd picked your degree based on something you loved
>>
>>7755960
Physics

Sorry I'm biased
>>
>>7755960
Mathematics with programming and finance classes.
>>
>>7755980
>How interchangeable is CE with EE?

Depends. There are lots of flavors to EE: power EE, RF systems, analog design, digital design.

For an ECE degree, you'd probably get digital design, a bit of analog design, and the parts of CS related to low level work (e.g. OS and compiler).
>>
Med/CS/Engineering gives you the most money. Out of those three I picked Aerospace + Mechanical engineering and I'm also getting an MBA in the future to maximize my salary.
>>
>>7756001
>CS

I don't see why this is thrown around so often when EE is vastly superior.
>>
>>7755960
All degrees are memes if you actually believe there is any degree with perfect structure that will ensure you get a a job in the field.

Take responsibility for your own education, no one is going to spoonfeed it to you.
>>
>>7756134

Did you even fucking read? Engineering GIVES YOU the most money. I was talking about which one was better. It doesn't even matter. People like you who have a superiority-complex need to get their head out of their ass. Fuck man, it's understandable if that person who holds the degree is a total prick or majored in something like women's studies, but come on now. I've met plenty of decent CS majors, but /sci/ exaggerates them as being a bunch of weirdos. Yes, you have your weirdos, and the coursework may be more difficult for EE's. But are you really that much of a faggot that you need to go around comparing which degrees are better? Well, I guess it doesn't matter since CS majors will be making more than you.
>>
>>7756153

Engineering and CS* wasn't
>>
File: 1153321446921.gif (26KB, 200x267px) Image search: [Google]
1153321446921.gif
26KB, 200x267px
>>7755960
>lel math is useless meme

why do subhumans bother coming here
>>
>>7755980

They differ in 4th year electives. You can jump between disciplines and sub-fields with just a bit of self study regardless of what you do in college.
>>
>>7756153
>I've met plenty of decent CS majors, but /sci/ exaggerates them as being a bunch of weirdos

Normie or neckbeard, all of them are totally incompetent at what they study but believe themselves to be total geniuses. Ridicule is inevitably.
>>
>>7755960
CS if you go to a prestigious enough school, you can work for a Silicon Valley meme company making meme apps.
>>
>Is a math degree anything more than concrete proof of your autism?

I'm a math major and this gave me a chuckle
>>
>>7756180
>>7756202
>>7756229
>Getting banned

Nigger had it coming for samefagging to be honest.
>>
File: 1420930206652.jpg (91KB, 510x1499px) Image search: [Google]
1420930206652.jpg
91KB, 510x1499px
>>7756524
>samefagging

No.
>>
Come do medsci wit me and leave these nerds behind
>>
>>7756717
>medsci

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
Engineering physics

>inb4 meme degree
>>
File: dip.png (911KB, 1920x1077px) Image search: [Google]
dip.png
911KB, 1920x1077px
>>7755960
CS + Math seems like you're best bet, I'm really enjoying the content I'm learning right now. I was in your situation as well 2 years ago OP, just be sure to get to a place that offers them properly.
To put things into perspective, I'm trying to wrestle my way into some good AI courses but they're all locked in the main campus of the university I go to. Either I commute 3 hours per day and crush my studying abilities or I don't specialize in AI barring the introductory course offered here.
>>
>>7756781
>you're
I feel like I deserve my fate more and more each day
>>
>>7755981
Sadly the standard of living isn't very high for someone who professionally shitposts on /sci/ all day, so I chose the next closest thing and am currently engineering major
>>
Better for what? Bragging rights, getting girls, goat farming? No one makes it through EE into a lucrative career without either being autist level conformist about doing their homework or extremely driven by an internal need to build shit. In other words, you already know you want to do it or you'll just become a simulation monkey and desk jockey. Both make good money but one leads to middle management before the really fun projects come along.
>>
Might be Biochem

>massive move to personalized medicine
>Biochemistry as a major is fairly new
>BLS projects 20%+ job growth over the next 10 years

Too bad it's boring as fuck compared to pure chem and is a step down in difficulty

-Biochem major
>>
File: Screenshot (79).png (709KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (79).png
709KB, 1366x768px
>>7756143
I agree, but some are definitely worth more than others. Degrees like CS would scare me out of constant paranoia that some 18 y/o autistic script kiddie is going to be able to outperform me at a cheaper rate, rendering my "degree" useless, whereas with engineering I just don't see that happening.

>>7756153
Hey angry guy, I've just read from a lot of different sources that EE covers what CompSci learns, plus more, and the 'more' part is generally more practical, employable areas of the field, hence the 'engineering'. I don't have a superiority complex, I'm not in EE, I'm in community college and haven't even declared a major yet. So calm down, tard.

>>7756168
I actually like math, and went into school with intent on majoring in math or physics, but the work it leads to doesn't appeal to me so much. Feel free to try and persuade me otherwise though.

>>7756178
Thanks. So they are very similar it seems, good to know.

>>7756202
I agree with this more and more everyday.

>>7756229
Thanks, glad you didn't splerg out and get defensive like that other actual autist :^)

>>7756781
Up until very recently, that was exactly my plan. I was planning on attending a private university where the only decent classes where those two. But recently I decided I didn't want to live in an academic pigeon hole, and I wanted the option to change majors at the last minute if need be. So I've been heavily exploring engineering now, and I've grown fond of ME, with likely a Computer related minor and electives.

>>7756785
lol

>>7757004
My body is ready to conform.

>>7757343
Sounds ok.

>thanks for the responses, goys.
>>
>>7757343

Last sentence sums up my attitude as well.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.