[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you like Science and Logic so much, why are you on 4chan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: Dove-doves-31209127-1024-768.jpg (87KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Dove-doves-31209127-1024-768.jpg
87KB, 1024x768px
If you like Science and Logic so much, why are you on 4chan?
>>
>>7755011
Because I'm a jackass.

Nice dubs tho.
>>
File: 1367536394434.jpg (621KB, 1864x3263px) Image search: [Google]
1367536394434.jpg
621KB, 1864x3263px
>>7755011
Because Aggression is a Bastion of What Betters what one would consider Bullshit
>>
>>7755017
If you are mentally ill, why do you speak
>>
File: 1451568933685.jpg (211KB, 808x719px) Image search: [Google]
1451568933685.jpg
211KB, 808x719px
Because I fucking hate myself
>>
>>7755011
because leddit is complete shit with nazi mods, le nein gag is filled with idiots, youtube is filled with idiots, twitter is filled with idiots.
science madness and 4chan are the only place i go
>>
>>7755011
Because there is a lot of people here with different opinions.

I don't come here to read logical arguments. I come here to exercise my own logic.

In other words, I like discussing and what better place to find good discussion than in 4chan

>Discussion in reddit
>Your opinion disagrees with the opinion of the average reddit user
>downvoted to hell and no one will ever see your post ever again

>discussion in tumblr
>your opinion goes against the norm
>report report report you cis fag white male scum!

>discussion in twitter
>your opinion goes against the norm
>WE ALREADY REPORTED YOU AND ALSO FILED A LAWSUIT AGAINST YOU

(look up actual people who went to jail for saying something 'offensive' on twitter)

>discussion in 4chan
>have a different opinion than the norm
>fuck you faggit! SAGE SAGE SAGE
>SAGE ALL YOU WANT I CAN BUMP MY OWN THREAD HAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: batpikamanchu.jpg (69KB, 447x459px) Image search: [Google]
batpikamanchu.jpg
69KB, 447x459px
Logic, Philosophy of Science and Mathematics major...where the fuck else I'm supposed to go?
>>
>>7755011
Because I was sucked into 4chan by the /fit/ memes when I was depressed back in 2012 [maybe 2013] (if I remember correctly).

Never entirely came back from the depression. Now I keep coming back to /sci/ even though I know it's not worth my time
>>
>>7755547
Why would you study false logic, you can't know muffins logic and true logic all at the same time?

Don't you experience cognitive dissonance as you move from class to class?
>>
>>7755561

Do you realise that science is based on empiricism, which is a branch of epistemology, which is a part of philosophy.

You have a blind faith in empiricism and call it "true logic".

Can you prove to me that axioms are 100% truth?
>>
>>7755564
>Do you realise that science is based on empiricism, which is a branch of epistemology, which is a part of philosophy.

Science could emerge without the need of philosophers. All you need is one individual with curiosity of the world instead of curiosity of muffins.

>You have a blind faith in empiricism and call it "true logic".

I don't have blind faith. I know mathematics works because we have built our society on top of it and we seem to do fine.

>Can you prove to me that axioms are 100% truth?

Indeed.

Theorem: Axioms are true

Proof: This is trivially true. QED

Proof: They are true by definiton. QED

etc.
>>
>>7755530
>twitter
I think you mean Facebook. How do you even discuss on shitter?
>>
Because 4chan is the reason I learned about fitness, computer stuff, and was motivated to learn theory cs/math by myself in high school..My school was boring and no one told me what to do academically or how to improve myself..4chan to improve yourself, you say? Yes, it isn't all for the memes..
Of course, you could argue that the time spent outside of 4chan could've made me a better person etc, but I doubt anyone else in my life would tell me to learn new things outside of school. Sorry for the personal post but its 2016 so yolo right
>>
>>7755573
>Science could emerge without the need of philosophers.
It can't because it itself is a form of philosophy. A cobbling together of philosophical ideas and endeavors. Hell, even as recently as the 1800's it was still being called "natural philosophy".

Your issue in reasoning here stems from two things. You don't have an accurate definition or understanding of what philosophy is, so you fail to identify it where it's present and misattribute or misconstrue it where it's less so. The second aspect is personal bias. You probably have some underlying distaste for philosophy, and you just don't want it all to eb so, no matter what you learn. which is understandable, I can see myriad ways a person would get dragged off on the wrong foot. And once you've settled into that, it's very difficult to fundamentally shift that kind of disposition.

Either way, the one direct and truly substantial thing I would say is that philosophy is as much personal as it is a formalized field. Probably more so. You've philosophized before. People you've agreed have philosophized. You will do it again, they will do it again. Denial changes little. Find a means to accept it, there is a whole angle on the world and yourself to be explored, and it is useful.

Some history to put what I said into context:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democritus
Read about this person and you will readily understand.

>I know mathematics works because we have built our society on top of it and we seem to do fine.
"It appears to do this, therefore it is known what it truly is and can be."
Bad reasoning. Something can appear to work and have small, critical flaws. Blind spots. Deficits. It can tick just fine but be a hacked together mess inside.

Reminds me of this. I don't know why we must continually state the obvious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-zWTU7X-k
>>
I stole this and paraphrased it for the purpose of this thread:
4chan:
>anonymous origins
>free, democratic, open source
>subverts corporate interests and intentions (Bane in TDKR used to attack the movie, not praise it)
>not created to push a product or message, but rather to amuse and humor individuals
>created for a specific group of enlightened users, not dumbed down for the masses
>memes are not forced by corporations, but rather become popular due to their innate appeal
>>
>>7755011
I can't focus for 24 hours a day straight. Fuckaround time is also necessary in between solving problems.
>>
>>7755561
>>7755564
>>7755573

Actually, I chose that program to study the Incompleteness Theorems of Gödel...So all formal systems have undecidable statements.

This sentence is false.

Quite resembles quantum uncertainty doesn't it? Also can be used in Machine Learning, AI.
>>
>>7755573
Theorem: I fucked your mom last night
Proof: This is trivially true. QED
Proof: This is true by definition. QED
>>
>>7755578
You would be surprised how many people try discussing politics, science, chinese girl cartoons, and business in 140 characters or less.
>>
>>7755573
>I don't have blind faith.
> I know mathematics works because we have built our society on top of it and we seem to do fine.

Lel
How can you know maths works if you can't know muffin?

Even if humans do exist out of your mind, how do you know we aren't all under some delusion?
I mean, it's difficult for us to imagine anything which is 4 dimensional, or any n > 3 dimensional object.
How do you know that math doesn't just SEEM to work, because we are all to retarded to know otherwise?

>>7755573
>Theorem: Axioms are true
proof needed
>Proof: This is trivially true. QED
trivially true = proof needed
>Proof: They are true by definiton. QED
True by "definiton". HAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAA
I see you are a retard. It's been fun, kiddo :^)
>>
>>7755573
The other poster is right. Logic is branch of philosophy. You cant make it scientific because that would just limit logic to empiricism and it would be biased. Science cant exist without philosophy and vice versa. If you are interpreting your empirical results you are just using philosophy.
>In before semantics what I defined wrong and what not.

To be honest we shouldnt limit ourselves to just fields that someone defined as more scientific than others. All these semantics about this and that is just complicating research. If I study how humans mate I wouldnt restrict myself to physiology but would also study psychology, evolution, chemistry, philosophy, sociology, cultural differences and all the shit you can think of that could possibly interfere, even religion.

All the constructs we created for fields of study are just so we could order things, it doesnt mean that you never venture into other fields. I wish people would stop trying to transform science into politics and segregations instead of cooperating.
>>
i like the funny pictures
>>
>>7755011
Because if i say something stupid using a username everyone will think the rest of my posts are also stupid , its also not possible to mention unpopular opinions and ideas.

For the sake of true knowledge I want to treat everyone like it doesnt matter who he is
>>
>>7755530
pretty much what this guy said
>>
>>7755899
And the price you pay is... YOU TALK WITH A BUNCH OF RETARDS
>>
>>7755011
Because shit forming is an art post.

Also fun to watch retards go at it here who have no knowledge of what they are talking about
>>
>>7755011
Because I'm anhedonic and this numbs me.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.