[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite area of math? >pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: FanGraph_700.gif (18KB, 356x448px) Image search: [Google]
FanGraph_700.gif
18KB, 356x448px
What's your favorite area of math?

>pic related
>>
The area of a circle.
>>
cognitive sciences
>>
>>7754597
area 51
>>
>>7754597
It's been said graph theory is just the slums of topology.
>>
>>7754609
>It's been said that discrete mathematics are just the slums of programming

That's how you sound.
>>
>>7754598
the are of you're moms anus
>>
Number theory, because it encompasses so many areas of math. Numbers really are at the heart of everything.

You like algebra? You've got algebraic geometry, commutative algebra, algebraic number theory all used to study NT. If you're more of an analyst there's plenty for you too -- Dirichlet series, harmonic analysis, automorphic forms, Hodge theory, analytic number theory are all analytic subjects. And even better, there's plenty in the field that mixes both.

Many famous theorems and hypotheses lie in number theory. Riemann's hypothesis is number theory, as is Fermat's Last Theorem. Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture is NT as are the Weil conjectures and Mordell's theorem. Tate's thesis is another monumental work that incorporates a huge number of topics from across mathematics to produce results of stunning clarity and insight. The Langlands program is math's current frontrunner as a "theory of everything" and researchers in this area are already producing many incredible results.

You have to have a really solid grasp of a lot of topics in order to do work in number theory, and it's perfect for those who want to be on the cutting edge of research and maybe can't quite decide what fields they like the most.
>>
>>7754617
But it's true, anon. I understand many people care about graph theory, and good for them. But from my perspective it's just the study of 1-dimensional CW-complexes, why not go broader and deeper?
>>
>>7754627
Because it serves a purpose. It's not useless.
>>
>>7754629
I never said it's useless. I just find it uninteresting.
>>
>>7754627
>why not go broader and deeper?
Why being more abstract if you don't need it? Graphs have enough interesting properties and questions that don't generalize well. If your problem is about monoids, you don't start with categories unless you need to.
>>
File: 1451000653420s.jpg (6KB, 250x181px) Image search: [Google]
1451000653420s.jpg
6KB, 250x181px
>>7754627
I see where you're coming from. But focusing on 1-dimensional CW-complexes is,by definition, going deeper.
>>
Calculation of probability
I am a rng junkie
>>
>>7754635
>I
Okay
>>
>>7754597
engineering.
>>
>>7754627

Because not everything about graphs will generalize to more abstract structures.
>>
>>7754598
underrated post
>>
\Yeah, Number theory gives you a chance to work in many areas of mathematics. Too bad my country doesn't work with Number Theory; they only the course for it which I'm luckily going to do soon.

The postgrad degrees in my country gives you a chance to do two research areas. I'm going to pick one area in algebra and one area in analysis.
>>
>>7754597
Calculus
>>
>>7754609
>It's been said
it's also been said that you suck dicks for breakfast
>>
boolean logic
>>
File: ABC_04-615x400.jpg (99KB, 615x400px) Image search: [Google]
ABC_04-615x400.jpg
99KB, 615x400px
abc conjecture of course
>>
>>7754597
calculus, and statistics.

all a nigga really needs.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.