[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which path should I choose Algrebra, Analysis or Geometry? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: CXDJMu0WsAAb8P6.jpg (41KB, 599x458px) Image search: [Google]
CXDJMu0WsAAb8P6.jpg
41KB, 599x458px
Which path should I choose Algrebra, Analysis or Geometry?
I'm an undergraduate pure math student
>>
Whichever one you like most

And then you'll realize all math is one and making a choice is silly
>>
Algebra and geometry are the same thing.

Analysis is if you don't like rigid mathematics
>>
>>7754239
I got 40% in grade 10 geometry. If im not good at geo, you arent, so do algebra, because solving for x is fun
>>
>>7754286
got any more stupid shit you wanna share with us?
>>
>>7754290
>doesn't know what geometry is
>doesn't know what algebra is
>browses a science & math board to give advice
I want to believe...
>>
>>7754294
What is stupid about what I said?

Algebra at higher level is rings and ideals and modules.

What's an example of a module? A vector space with coefficients in the ring.

Algebra is just a generalisation of geometry.
>>
>>7754239
Well you're going to need to take 2 semesters of undergrad Abstract Algebra, 2 semesters of grad Abstract Algebra, 2 semesters of undergrad Analysis, and 2 semesters of grad Analysis no matter what you do.
>>
Algebra or Geometry if you want cool shit.
>>
>>7754239
Don't do analysis, it's boring. The other two end up being similar at the highest level.
>>
If you are an undergraduate, don't specialize. Save that for grad school. Take all the courses you can. Make sure you include topology as well. Make the effort to learn as much as you can in each subject matter.
>>
>>7754294
look up the Nullstellensatz
faggot
>>
>>7754239
You should look for a real job outside of academia.
>>
>>7754367
>I have taken Commutative algebra 1 so I know everything there is to know about algebra and geometry
>>
>>7754367
So what does this nullstellensatz tell me about manifolds which admit an indefinite metric? What on earth does it have to do with C^*-algebras, commutative or otherwise? Etc.
>>
>>7754286
>Algebra and geometry are the same thing.
Oh look, another wikipedia scholar who recently read the article on algebraic geometry.
>>
>>7754367
How do I compute a triangle?
>>
>>7754239
At the undergrad level you shouldn't have to choose yet. It's absurd how interconnected everything is, so no matter what you end up doing, it usually pays to have a broad knowledge.

That being said, just pick whatever interests you most. Why are you asking this on a mongolian novella appreciation newsgroup?
>>
>>7754239
Also, pure vs. applied is an illusory distinction that is harmful to 'both' types of math.
>>
>>7754367
lmao it's so strange seeing a typical impotently-angry shitpost mention a result in comm alg. I guess the cretin that wrote it went to school? Anyway, saying all geometry is just algebra is patently false, for reasons that >>7754406 mentions. All the nullstellensatz does is establish a correspondence between radical ideals (intersections of primes) and alg sets in affine space. This is great and generalizes to schemes and all, but it by no means describes all geometry.
>>
>>7754425
This.

>>7754431
Not this. You're probably applied if you think that.
>>
>>7754613
Undergrad detected. Good luck getting funding later, idiot.

I'm actually pure. I work on a specific type of varieties over the complex numbers and finite fields. To sell that to the NSF you can't just say 'oh lol just for funsies'.
>>
>>7754684
Yeah... you're applied and don't even know it.
>>
>>7754739
Undergrads please, stop embarrassing yourselves
>>
Who gives a fuck, you're an undergrad. You need to learn the basics in all of them. See which you like most/which professors you like most to determine your undergrad research focus.
>>
File: Screenshot (21).png (448KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (21).png
448KB, 1600x900px
BUMP
U
M
P

captcha know what's up
>>
>>7754684
autism
>>
>>7754239
Fuck that pleb shit, go into mathematical logic
>>
>>7754309
>>7754367
You're still wrong. Look up synthetic geometry.
>>
Has anyone read this book? Any thoughts?
>>
>>7754364
yeah, where the fuck is topology on here?
>>
>>7754946
If you download it would you mind to upload it to mega and send me the link?
>>
>>7755174
libgen
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=eba529080380c68348d3bad5d828c358
>>
>>7754378
>You should work as a wave slave instead of doing actual research.
Beta dumbfuck.
>>
There is so much hate and jealousy on /sci/

It's delicious.
>>
File: 1383420227123.png (8KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1383420227123.png
8KB, 493x402px
>>7757319
And search for mcjobs later?
Hows life?
>>
>>7754239
>choosing between them
Aren't entry level things like that mandatory?
>>
Algebra
>>
File: kek.png (12KB, 421x82px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
12KB, 421x82px
>>7757322
>>
>>7757319
>implying a research job isn't the epitome of wage slavery
>>
>>7754239
You should do all of them.
How is it possible that they are not compulsory?
>>
>>7754239
Algebra will benefit you the most as a pure mathematician.
>>
>>7758206
Why?
>>
>>7758379
Because for some reason, /sci/ equates "pure" math with algebraic geometry
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.