[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A challenge for you nerds: Make a meal plan for a day or a week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

File: nutrition.jpg (77KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
nutrition.jpg
77KB, 736x414px
A challenge for you nerds:

Make a meal plan for a day or a week with a $15/day budget that meets every nutritional need.

No vitamin pills, as you can never be sure what's in them, and even if you could be sure, it's been shown that (at least some) vitamins in pills do not have the same effects as vitamins in real foods.

No stupid shit like 'eat 500g seaweed' or 'buy a whole cow and freeze it and slowly consume it over several months' or 'eat goat testicles'

I bet you can't do it
>>
Human breastmilk every day for every meal.
>>
>>7753797
15 dollars a day is a lot lol
canned tuna / whey / chicken / sirloin beef
becel / peanutbutter / olive oil
bread of any kind
1 a day multivitamin + multimineral centrum brand
>>
>>7753797
>$15/day budget
you could do that on 5 a day easily
>>
>>7753797
3 instant noodles <$4
1kg of any fucking fruit <$5
100g cheese $2 (depending on the cheese I guess)
100g of meat

you can get fat on this.
>>
>>7753818
fun fact: many fat people are actually poor but have shit eating habits/exercise habits. Fat = rich is a thing of the past.
>>
>>7753821
everybody knows this
I'm literally showing you can be fat with bad food
>>
>>7753797
Soylent is $8 a day. You have $7 left for treats.
>>
Day 1: Dominoes lg pizza
Day 2: Pizza Hut lg pizza
Day 3: Papa Johns lg pizza
Day 4: Bojangles 8 piece chicken
Day 5: Taco Bell grande meal
Day 6: 2x 5 Guys burgers
Day 7: Popeye's 8 piece chicken
>>
>>7753887
>that meets every nutritional need
Not even close.
>>
>>7753894
Autism?
>>
I'd put in the effort but this is just a shitpost anyway. Its quite easy desu and that's actually a lot of money per day for one person...
>>
>>7753797
$85/wk for one person is enormous.
>>
>>7753797
a homework thread in disguise
>>
>>7753797

Soylent green

https://www.soylent.com/
>>
File: MeanwhileInAmerica.jpg (17KB, 450x357px) Image search: [Google]
MeanwhileInAmerica.jpg
17KB, 450x357px
>>7753797
> it's been shown
Source or fuck off.
>>
>>7754001
Not OP but there are many examples of this. Here's one

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/can-folic-acid-be-harmful/
>>
>>7753812

>canned tuna / whey / chicken / sirloin beef

The daily requirement for a healthy 67kg male is ~60g of high quality protein to maintain muscle mass (~110g if bodybuilding).

This is equivalent to 330g canned tuna, 133g of whey protein isolate (90% protein), 260g raw chicken breast or 390g raw sirloin steak, when taking into account amino acid completeness.

Approximate cost of each item:

Tuna - $2.70
Whey Protein Isolate - $6
Chicken Breast - $3.65
Sirloin Steak - $7

Assuming all four foods are consumed, the average cost per day is $4.85. For 110g protein, the cost would be $8.90.

The energy value would be 650cal on average, about 28% of the daily requirement for a male who does light exercise.

4 slices of bread (enriched with vitamins & minerals I'll assume), 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil per day seems like a fair limit I'd say.

The total nutritional value of the above is as follows (using chicken):

1090 calories (47%)
822mg sodium (16%)
874mg potassium (35%)
68g carbs (20%)
- 13.7g fiber (36%)
- 7.6g sugar (32%)
80.4g protein total (~60%-110%)
- 20.4g plant protein
- 60g animal protein
42.6g fat total (84%)
- 8.4g saturated fat (35%)

261% Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
150% Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
98% Selenium
73% Phosphorus
74% Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
NEG% Iodine
NEG% Vitamin A
43% Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
94% Iron
92% Vitamin E
2% Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
4% Calcium
NEG% Vitamin K
23% Manganese
NEG% Biotin
27% Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)
38% Choline
8% Copper
2% Vitamin D
NEG% Vitamin C
18% Magnesium
NEG% Molybdenum
6% Vitamin B9 (Folate)
48% Zinc
NEG% Chromium

As stated already, vitamin pills are not the same as vitamins in real food. Whey protein powder is also questionable, but there is at least evidence it works - the same cannot be said for vitamin pills.

Malnourished stick with a bulge 'diet'/10
>>
>>7754062
This reminds me, why wasn't this thread posted on /fit/ or /ck/?
>>
>>7754001

I've read studies comparing the effects of vitamins in vitamin pills to vitamins in real plant sources, but it was a while ago so I can't recall them.

I'd say it's up to the pill-pushers to prove their snake oil works, before I am called to refute them.

Everything I read tells me that we are remarkably well-adapted to our historic environment, and any attempt to find a 'shortcut' usually backfires. Look at aspartame for example, which was meant to be a smart replacement for sugar - didn't work because it interferes with gut microbiota. Another thing that fucks your body up in many more ways than one is taking food without the fibre that is supposed to go with it.
>>
>>7754070

Nutrition is a science.
>>
>>7753818

healthy nutrition =/= getting fat

Why is this so difficult for Amerilards to understand?
>>
In truth what I have posed is a trick question - you cannot have a healthy diet with just $15/day, even though that is indeed a moderately high expense.

I know, because I have tried myself.

I currently eat a variant of chicken vegetable soup (a whole potful) with fortified bread, chocolate milk, orange juice, smoked salmon sandwiches, and an oatmeal cereal variant. It provides me with near complete and optimal nutrition, but costs the equivalent of ~$18 USD/day.

If you live on $15 or less a day of food, chances are you are fat/skinny and/or have serious nutrient deficiencies which will come back to haunt you later in life in the form of bad teeth, bad mental health and ass cancer.

Nutrition has been a neglected science for far too long. Over the past few decades the only 'progress' has been in identifying shortcuts so they can be excitedly presented to the public - only to later find that no, these shortcuts don't actually work. Case in point: The low-fat diet, after the introduction of which the obesity rate skyrocketed. Or the low-salt diet and that oft-quoted recommendation of 2300mg or even 500mg sodium to reduce blood pressure ~1%, when the data has shown that overall mortality is minimal at intake of ~5000mg (which of course, is about how much people would normally consume anyway).

If you don't know (perhaps simply don't care to know) what your own diet contains, you should get your shit fixed up.
>>
>>7754096
I'm not american, and I was just trying to prove to OP that you can eat more than enough for $15 you doofus.
>>
>>7753964

Did you post this just to trigger me friend?

They want you to pay $2 for a glorified fatty protein powder that only gives you 22% of your daily calories, but 45% of your fat intake, hardly any fiber, and only 25% vitamin & mineral intake. Not to mention the protein is shitty low-quality plant protein (I don't know what form of 'rice protein' they're using, but 60g chicken protein is equivalent to 390g brown rice protein!), and the vitamins are as unnatural as they are in pills and are thus unproven - even disproven already in some cases.
>>
Oats for breakfast, tuna for lunch, chicken for dinner. Cucumbers as snacks throughout the day.
>>
>>7754146

>Make a meal plan for a day or a week with a $15/day budget that meets every nutritional need.

Not

>Make a meal plan for a day or a week with a $15/day budget that makes you fat and feel full.
>>
>>7753797
fresh fruit and vegs
bread, butter, milk cheese, eggs
potatoes, rice, corn
fish, pork, chicken, red mea

vary intake daily
put at least $5 a day in savings account
>>
>>7754159
does it meet every nutritional need? Yes so stfu
>>
>>7754157

F all Vitamin C (14% per cucumber), sodium (not easy to salt oats, or meat on its own), and I'm guessing off the top of my head less than (perhaps well under) 40% zinc, chromium, molybdenum, copper, biotin, manganese, Vitamin K, Vitamin B9 and Iodine

Under half the fiber needed

300mL milk + 150g oats + 250g chicken breast + 300g tuna (steaks?) + 2 cucumbers = 1880cal (82%)

~$14 USD (excl. oils, condiments)
>>
>>7753797
you should ask this to /fit/
>>
>>7754202
Macros, baby.
>>
>>7754172

I seriously hope you don't believe your own words and eat that garbage you suggested.

Instant noodles = Simple carbs, empty calories
1kg fruit every day = Diabeetus when combined with above (~100g+ sugar, also enjoy kidney stones and diarrhea)
100g cheese = so much saturated fat that even the decent amount of medium-quality protein isn't worth it
100g meat = too pathetic to be a saving grace

Not only would you get fuck all vitamins and minerals from that (save calcium and vitamin C), but it would only account for about 60% of calories needed.

>>7754162

Good luck getting 2300 calories of all that for $15 or less.
>>
>>7753880
>8 dollars a day
with soylent that's like 1200 calories
only works if ur a small as women

gonna be like 16 dollars if you're not a manlet
>>
kale/spinach
corn
tomato
3 different types of beans or chicken or some other meat
brown rice
milk
blueberries
>>
>>7754205
>Good luck getting 2300 calories of all that for $15 or less
Doable with $10. easy as pie
>>
>>7753887
>Day 6: 2x 5 Guys burgers
Ayy lmao
>>
>>7754224
>brown rice
>>>/fit/
>>
>>7754062
So you can get quite a lot for ~$5 - I'm sure the rest can be made up for with the remaining $10.
Some fries would cover the sodium and the calories - perhaps with iodised salt for the iodine requirement. Some fruit and veg, a Greek yoghurt, etc. would easily git in that $10.
>>
>>7753797
Soylent. It's about $10 a day.
>>
>>7754062
You moron. 260g is close to 0.6lb.

Chicken breast on sale is $3 a pound.

$1.80 for a full days protein.
>>
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/3730634/2
i've been living on it for almost 2 years now, fucking awesome.
>>
>>7754626
well at least living in Poland it's much below 15$/day, don't care about anywhere else ahahahahahaha
>>
lol @ 15/day. i spend 250/month (8.33/day) on 4 healthy meals per day totaling 2500 kcal/day. im 5'11" (180 cm) 170 lbs (77 kg).
>>
>>7754641
i should also mention that all my food comes from the grocery store.

whenever i hear someone say that eating healthy is expensive, i know theyre full of shit and have never attempted to do that. my meals consist of chicken, pork, eggs and turkey. additions are fruits, veggies, oats, bread and yogurt.
>>
>>7753797
>450$/month
That's more than what I spend in rent AND food combined.
>>
>>7754652
you got dat section 8 and foodstamps hookup?
>>
>>7753797
With 15$ a day you could suicide in that same day you get the money... why waste time?
>>
>>7753797
$15/day is a lot. I eat well on half of that, and could halve it again without getting malnutrition.

1) use your freezer
2) keep your eyes open for meat under $2/lb
3) large containers of grains/flour and frozen vegetables are your friends
>>
>>7753797
Use coupons and shop between several sources. Dark veggie greens, bright peppers, fruits, and lean poultry and fish. Whole grains and no soda or crap food. It's not hard.
>>
>>7754210
Nope, 2100 calories in powdered form. Just add tap water.
>>
>>7754592
>chicken breast on -sale-
>i am a retard
>>
Not your personal army. Fuck off.
>>
>$15 a day
My parents make $60 an hour. I don't have to pretend to be poor.
>>
>>7754864
>$60/hour
>a lot
That's like middle class buddy, call me when your parents can bill for $500+/hour
>>
>>7754062
>As stated already, vitamin pills are not the same as vitamins in real food. Whey protein powder is also questionable, but there is at least evidence it works - the same cannot be said for vitamin pills.
This is complete bro-science bullshit, though. Vitamins are vitamins, whether isolated or in food. The efficacy of vitamin supplements for preventing and correcting deficiencies is extremely well-validated. You can watch malnourished people be dramatically transformed in weeks by vitamin supplements. It's not subtle or difficult to investigate.

The supposed further benefits of vitamin-rich foods, over and above the benefits of the known micronutrients they contain, are subjects of shitty correlation-fishing nutritional "science" studies, from the same sort of people who get in the news telling you that chocolate and red wine are first good and then bad for you and then good again in alternate months.

Nutritional fine-tuning is mysterious, basically outside the scope of practical scientific investigation due to the number of uncontrollable variables. People worry about fine-tuning their diets without even getting health basics like appropriate caloric intake, exercise, and rest right.

Vitamin supplements are a good idea when you have digestive problems, can't afford or be bothered with proper food, or are restricting your food intake enough to lose weight while leading a sedentary lifestyle (and yes, this includes spending an hour in the gym every day and sitting or lying down for most of the other 23 hours -- you can train as hard as you like in that hour, you're not going to be running your metabolism like someone who's on their feet and moving most of the day).
>>
>>7753797
>buy a whole cow and freeze it and slowly consume it over several months
lol
>>
File: 1411968569899.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1411968569899.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>7754890
>The supposed further benefits of vitamin-rich foods, over and above the benefits of the known micronutrients they contain, are subjects of shitty correlation-fishing nutritional "science" studies, from the same sort of people who get in the news telling you that chocolate and red wine are first good and then bad for you and then good again in alternate months.

get a load of this pseudo-intellectual

you have it all figured out my man
>>
File: DSCN0749b.jpg (3MB, 3072x2300px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0749b.jpg
3MB, 3072x2300px
>>7753797
Uhhh... wut? $15 a day? That's fucking $450 a month! I spend at most between $75 and $100 a month and only if I splurge for name-brand comfort shit and it'd last me a few months at that.

But then again most of my store-food is just splurge shit. I'm a farmer so I have all I really need to eat at home. Here's my last store-grocery list, I didn't splurge,

-Hersey's cocoa powder
-Peanut Butter
-Cumin
-Nutmeg
-Cinnamon
-whatever spice I'm out of that I can't grow or trade for
-Toilet Paper (Charmin, most expensive thing I buy)

When I splurge it will be stuff like some chips and soda. Which I regret because it doesn't taste like anything I grew up with, which is the only point I get it for being nostalgia.

Everything else I grow/raise myself or trade for with my relatives, friends, and neighbors. Hell, my monthly egg money take in is enough to cover all my store expenses for food.

I wrote like 2 post's worth of stuff I grow and eat then realized there's no point. If you want it, I'll finish it and post it Otherwise, join the rest of the Homegrownmen over on >>>/out/654914 It is our 42nd continuous thread since /out/ started.
>>
>>7754890
>This is complete bro-science bullshit, though. Vitamins are vitamins, whether isolated or in food.

Incorrect. There is more than 1 type for most vitamins. Some are derived from non-food sources. Because they work, doesn't mean they are the same. There's something like 8 different types of Vitamin E sources and 8 different types of Calcium sources.
>>
>>7755040
>Incorrect. There is more than 1 type for most vitamins.
Starting this with "Incorrect." is just being an irritating little twerp. You're not correcting any inaccuracy in what I said.

>Some are derived from non-food sources.
This is entirely irrelevant, and you should be embarassed to post this shit on /sci/.

>Because they work, doesn't mean they are the same.
That they work is what matters.
>>
>>7753800
this
>>
>>7755090
Thank you for reinforcing my point.
>>
Easy, Bulk purchase fresh produce for the week or fortnight, portion them according calorie count, and pack freeze, then all you have to do is take it out and cook, less than $15 a day.
>>
>it's been shown that (at least some) vitamins in pills do not have the same effects as vitamins in real foods.
nigger, a vitamin is a vitamin period. it doesn't matter where it came from, it's a vitamin. there is no such thing as two molecules with same structure having different chemical properties.
>>
>>7753797
meal for week:
>1 unit of emergency rations (20,000 clories)
>7 bottles of ionized water (100% intake of daily minerals)
>7 vitamin tablets
it'll probably cost 15 dollars assuming the ration is 5$, each bottle of water is .50$, and each vitamin pill is .25$
>>
>>7755721
Vitamins and nutrients in general can have varying biological effects dependent on the food matrix they're embedded in. Isolated vitamin c for example can act as a pro-oxidant postprandially, yet in vegetables it's accompanied by a cocktail of different phenols, chromanols, carotenoids, etc which act as a network to prevent this effect.
>>
>>7753797
>$15/day budget
>for 1 person

lol Holy hell, that's $5,475 a year. I at absolute most spend $1,000 a year. Does that mean I'd be more than 5 times fatter or more than 5 times more unhealthy or more than 5 times more pretentious?
>>
>>7754592

260g is what you get after trimming about 390g of breast chicken

http://twofrugalfairfielders.com/2012/12/03/how-many-pounds-of-boneless-chicken-do-you-really-get-for-your-money-not-meant-for-the-queasy/

Sales cannot be consistently relied on, and it's better to buy organic chicken which is significantly more expensive - but I have taken a figure on the low side of $9.36/kilo which is slightly higher than what you pay for the cheapest form of supermarket chicken breast.

>>7754626

>340g seeds per day
>7 eggs per day

If you can eat that, good for you, but I don't think the vast majority of people can.

Also as your nutritional breakdown shows, too much fat, protein overkill, and the 1766mg of cholesterol might be a problem but egg cholesterol has been shown not to have the same degree of bad effects as from other sources.

>>7754641

Post your meal plan in detail for one day

>>7754652

If you're not spending more than $15 a day on food, you're probably most definitely suffering from malnutrition

>>7754789
>>7754796

Show me your meal plan, then we'll talk
>>
>>7754890
>This is complete bro-science bullshit, though. Vitamins are vitamins, whether isolated or in food. The efficacy of vitamin supplements for preventing and correcting deficiencies is extremely well-validated.

Good goyim.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20131216/experts-dont-waste-your-money-on-multivitamins

>With three new studies finding that a daily multivitamin won't help boost the average American's health, the experts behind the research are urging people to abandon use of the supplements.
>The studies, published in the Dec. 17 issue of the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, found that multivitamin and mineral supplements did not work any better than placebo pills.

There are several reasons why vitamin pills may not have the same effects as vitamins in real foods. One is chemical difference, but another is, for lack of a better word, 'context'. Fiber in food for instance reduces/slows absorption of fats, sugars, and of course vitamins too - slow absorption of fats and sugars is obviously good for us, but what about vitamins? Well, would our evolutionary adapted bodies just throw away vitamins for no good reason? Another example is lycopene in tomatoes which is more readily absorbed when cooked and when mixed with fat. Omega-3 competes with Omega-6. Lutein competes with Vitamin A. And as aspartame has shown, there are other factors we don't normally think about such as interactions with gut microbiota. These vitamin pills have no fiber, fats, nothing. And it's not just the context of what you eat, but the context of how you eat it. When you chew food, disgestive enzymes in saliva gets mixed in making absorption better when it reaches your stomach. Vitamin pills are just swallowed. Pills and capsules are absorbed much slower than liquids and direct injections - how much of the massive vitamin content (we're talking perhaps 5x the amount you'd get in a plate of food) in these pills has been absorbed by the time you shit it out?
>>
>>7755030

Not everyone has the time, money, space or patience to tend to their own fruit& vegetable garden and livestock pen.

>>7755701

Detail your meal plan for one day

>>7755725

'Emergency rations' a.k.a glorified protein bars usually contain too much fat and taste like shit. There's a reason they're called that. Eating them long-term will give you diabeetus, since most of those calories are from flour, sugar and cheap fat. There's zero fiber, zero natural vitamins,and looking at the ingredients, surprisingly no protein even presumably.

A ~$5 unit of emergency rations also contains ~2400-3600 calories, not 20,000.

I don't know why you're suggesting vitamin tablets, when the emergency ration bars already have vitamins and minerals added to them - that's the point of them, otherwise you could just buy a bag of sugar and make sugarwater.

Here's the ingredients list for one of these 'emergency rations':

Enriched Flour, Vegetable Shortening, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Soy Flour, Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate, Vitamins (Vitamin A, Iron, Vitamin E, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Copper, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Thiamin, Niacin, Falate, Biotin, Iodine, Zinc), Artificial Lemon Flavoring, Artificial Vanilla Flavoring, Artificial Butter Flavoring, Artificial Coloring (Egg Shade).
>>
File: 1447774739894.gif (948KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1447774739894.gif
948KB, 500x281px
>>7753800

Kekd
>>
>>7753797
There are lots of nutritional benefits of plant foods that you probably don't even consider as a nutritional need.
The answer is a plant based diet. Only it can offer you the most benefits. It's also very nutritionally dense.
>>
>>7756126
>Not everyone has the time, money, space or patience to tend to their own fruit& vegetable garden and livestock pen.

Stick to the drive thru, kid.
>>
prices in CAD

breakfast:
3 eggs ($2 for 12 = $0.50)
2 slices of toast ($2 for the whole loaf, 16 slices? = $0.25)
banana ($0.70 a pound = ~$0.50 let's say)
cup of milk ($4 for 4L = $0.25 per 250ml cup)
>total: $1.50

lunch:
tuna cakes ($1 a tin = $2)
spinach salad ($3 per premade bag = $1.50)
>total: $3.50

dinner:
2x breaded chicken cutlets ($10 a bag with 7 per bag = ~$3)
broccoli ($3 per frozen bag w/ ~4 servings = $0.75)
peas ($3 per frozen bag w/ ~6 servings = $0.50)
six bean medley ($1 a can = $1)
>total: $5.25

grand total: ~$10.25

high protein, lots of greens
>>
>>7756126
>2000 calories
mine has 2000 kilocalories it also specifies to eat 1 bar per day
>>
>>7755030
oh hi fellow sc/out/

>dat isoprenoid concentration
>>
>>7755040
>much tocopherols and tocols
>>
>>7756294
how would you go around feeding the breasts for under $15/day?
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.