[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the sum of all natural numbers equal -1/12? From what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_ni094uwGwP1s2zr5eo1_500.jpg (65KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ni094uwGwP1s2zr5eo1_500.jpg
65KB, 500x375px
Why does the sum of all natural numbers equal -1/12?

From what I've read is that it is a 'reduced version' of the actual answer, which is infinity.
The reduced version is apparently useful in physics e.g. string theory. I know approximations must be made when doing science but this one gets me uneasy. Maybe the expression should be changed to '≈ -1/12' or am I being autistic about this?
>>
>>7752334

'=' denotes any equivalence relation. people don't use weird squiggly symbols generally. it's no approximation, but "analytic continuation" of a function. It's like saying the geometric series is equal to 1/(1-x) and then continuating it so that the geometric series at 2 is equal to -1 (where it is, in reality, infinity)
>>
The 'natural' answer is that it approaches infinity. More specifically infinity to the second power. So lets say you have 1 + 2 + 3 ... + x. When you have really large values in x, the sum is approximately x^2. There's some series that you can expand it into, don't know if I have the picture, but when you do it you'll get x^2 - 1/12 + something/x + something else/x^2 ...
So, when people say that -1/12 is the answer, where they get that from is ignoring not just the infinitely small parts, but also the infinitely large parts, and only looking at that one constant, -1/12.

The most concise way to put it is -1/12 is the acceptable answer in higher levels of mathmatics. You can do more if you can reduce infinite series into constants than you can if you can only say things like 'yep, that's infinity'
>>
>>7752339
Shut the fuck up, nothing you said is correct
>>
It doesn't, in the most obvious sense.

Divergent series, i.e the sum of all natural numbers can be described by certain summation methods which transform the infinite series

For example the fourier transform of infinite length sinusoids is nice and compact

Sines are not really delta functions, they are just represented that way after that transform
>>
Ok, so it's not an approximation but an "analytical continuation", yet at the end of your post you said that the answer to your example is, in reality, infinity. So it actually is an approximation because the real answer is infinity.
>>
>>7752334
It's easy to confuse yourself with this shit but it's quite simple.

All the ramanujan summation stuff, cutoff and zeta regularization does, is look at the smoothed curve at x = 0.
What sums usually do is to look at the value as x->inf.

It's just a unique value you can assign to a sum, really they have many such values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%8B%AF#/media/File:Sum1234Summary.svg
>>
>>7752369
>a value or quantity that is nearly but not exactly correct.

-1/12 is not close to infinity

-1/12 is completely correct, under a certain set of rules. Personal think mathematicians play way too loose with the symbols
>>
>>7752334
>Why does the sum of all natural numbers equal -1/12?
It does not. It's just extremely poor notation in the absence of context to make retards think "wow how is this possible, math is so interesting".
>>
>>7752372
Thanks for the explanation.
It just seems strange to use the "=" symbol when you make the agreement that it is only a reduced representation of an operation which makes it easier to work with certain type of problems.
Is it akin to the introduction of i as an imaginary value in the realm of complex numbers?
>>
>>7752390
No; it's strange to use = because it's just incorrect.

You would never denote this particular equivalence with = alone, because it'd be confusing and misleading.

But because it's so "mind-blowingly weird" to have the sum of all numbers literally equal -1/12, the = version gets passed around because it's clickbaitier.
>>
>>7752390
>It just seems strange to use the "=" symbol when you make the agreement that it is only a reduced representation of an operation which makes it easier to work with certain type of problems.
eh. overloaded operators are everywhere, and for the most part you can infer the meaning from context. it's only people who incorrectly write the expression to incorrectly imply a simple summation who are fucking things up.

if someone actually knows what they're doing they'll include the proper [math]\zeta{}()[/math] notation.
>>
>>7752339
You cannot say something tends to infinity, you can only say something grows without bound
>>
File: Emma-Burger.jpg (106KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
Emma-Burger.jpg
106KB, 1024x640px
>>7752339
>So lets say you have 1 + 2 + 3 ... + x. When you have really large values in x, the sum is approximately x^2. There's some series that you can expand it into, don't know if I have the picture, but when you do it you'll get x^2 - 1/12 + something/x + something else/x^2 ...
I can try to bridge those

For a function [math] f(n) [/math] on [math] {\mathbb N} [/math] that is sensible for more than just the natural, you can define an average between n and n+1 as follows:

[math] \langle f \rangle(n) := \int_n^{n+1} f(k) dk [/math]

The value [math] \langle f \rangle (n) [/math] equals [math] f(n) [/math] plus a terms that measures the growth to up to the next integer value.

For example, if
[math] f(n)=n^2 [/math],
then
[math] f(3)-f(4)=3^2-4^2=-7 [/math],
while
[math] f(3)-\langle f \rangle (3) = 3^2 - \int_3^{3+1} k^2 dk = - \frac {10} {3} = -3.333 [/math]

We have

[math] 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + \, … = \sum_{k=0}^\infty k = \lim_{z \to 1} \sum_{k=0}^\infty k \, z^k = \frac {z} {(z-1)^2} [/math]

which is divergent at z=1.

However

[math] \sum_{k=0}^\infty \left( k \, z^k - \langle k \, z^k \rangle \right) = \frac {z} {(z-1)^2} - \frac {1} {\log(z)^2} = - \frac{1}{12} + O(z-1) [/math]

so [math]- \frac{1}{12}[/math] measures the immediate growth of f(n):=n in the above sense.

We can bridge the connection to the finite sum:
Look at

[math] \sum_{k=0}^m \left( k \, z^k - (1-q) \langle k \, z^k \rangle \right) [/math]

Mathematica tells us that this is

[math] \frac{(1-q) (z-1)^2 \left(z^{m+1}-1\right)+z \log (z) \left(z^m \left((m+1) (q-1) (z-1)^2+(m (z-1)-1) \log
(z)\right)+\log (z)\right)}{(z-1)^2 \log ^2(z)} [/math]

Taking the limit z to 1 results in

[math] \frac {1} {2} (m+1) (q\,m+(q-1)) [/math]

and for q to 0 we find the classical result.

On the other hand, taking the limit m to infinity before going with z to 1 gives us

[math] \frac {z} {(z-1)^2} - \frac {1-q} {\log(z)^2} [/math]
>>
>>7752793
and for q to 1 we find the classical result, I mean
>>
File: limits.png (35KB, 667x412px) Image search: [Google]
limits.png
35KB, 667x412px
Mathematica
>>
It doesn't in the sense of summation as typically known, it's true in a fashion but the summation sign as used in that expression doesn't mean what you think it does. Watch this for more info

https://youtu.be/LMw0NZDM5B4
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.