[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physic majors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: Sir-Isaac-Newton-HD-Wallpaper.jpg (367KB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
Sir-Isaac-Newton-HD-Wallpaper.jpg
367KB, 2197x1463px
Hey, /Sci/, I have a question (inb4 gtfo this isn't /adv/). If I were to major in physics, would I be screwed career wise even if I went to a great uni, had a great GPA, and started researching/interning ASAP?
>inb4 just do engineering, faggot1!1!
>>
>>7747820

just do pure math for 300k starting. faggot.
>>
>>7747825
Nice meme, friend. How many gbp did you get for it?
>>
>>7747820
why do you want to major in physics?
>>
>>7747820
Physics isn't a good standalone major. Double up with math or engineering.
>>
>>7747826
>wants to major in physics
>calls others memesters
>>
File: graphPrivateSector.gif (17KB, 341x282px) Image search: [Google]
graphPrivateSector.gif
17KB, 341x282px
>>7747820
>gbp

I'm sure as hell that no one in /sci/ knows of that meme.

>r9k mangina detected
Anyways...
Take a look at pic related.

It looks like physics majors are doing just fine. Now stop being a faggot and study what you like, not what you think will pay more.
>>
>>7747852
goddamn, only 5% of them actually go into physics?
>>
>>7747855
Going into physics means going into academia because that is where the only real physics research happens.

Academia is tight because it is the dream. Anyone majoring in any STEM wishes they could become a tenured professor in their field and live a comfy life while doing major contributions to humanity.

But not many can. Universities have limited positions for them and they are already filled with previous physicists.
>>
>>7747838
I want to someday do research related to photonics, semi/super conductors, nuclear physics, and other applications of physics. That, and I just think it is a very cool field to learn about.

>>7747852
Thanks, Anon, will do. Also I don't browse the cesspool that is r9k, I just know of the meme.
>>
>>7747859
As these are employed BSc students, I highly suspect they are lab techs in the national lab system. They are unlikely to be working for a university as they have grad students to do the grunt work and are almost certainly do not have any sort of academic position.
>>
>>7747855
A physics undergrad degree doesn't really qualify you for anything. That chunk going into "engineering" isn't even doing real professional engineering, but technologist and engineering assistant work.

You're basically fucked if you don't get into physics grad-school, which is why it's a risky undergrad.
>>
If you only care about getting an undergraduate degree, don't study physics. You have to go to grad school. That's why the chart only says ~5% continue studying physics/astro after a BS.

If you look at masters/ph.D graduates, you will see a very different chart.
>>
>>7747820
You are fucked with a BSc, good with a MSc, godly with a PhD, provided your dissertations are above average. GPA does not matter a shit after it gets you into MSc program where your dissertation shapes the rest of your life.

Distinction, Merit or 4.00 GPA etc., Dissertation: Abstract shit on more abstract shit with zero applicability= Unemployed or an academic which means poor employed.

Any GPA, Dissertation: Very Applicable Concept on abstract shit=Employed with good future prospects.
>>
>>7747897
At many engineering firms, and "engineer" that has a physics degree is indistinguishable from an engineer that has an engineering degree. And a lot of the mangers had physics degrees. The thing with any pure science undergrad is that you are poorly qualified to actually do that pure science (with the exception of biology, where the medical research industry creates a need for a large pool of lab techs and office workers with knowledge of biological systems). So, for physics and chemistry majors, you end up with a skill set that qualifies you for a broad range of fields, but you will probably fall behind someone specialized in that specific field. So, you can make up for your lack of specialization by the sheer breadth of positions you are qualified for.
>>
>>7747909
Sorry for not clarifying, I was implying I would be pursuing a PhD after getting a BSc.
>>
>>7747916
>At many engineering firms, and "engineer" that has a physics degree is indistinguishable from an engineer that has an engineering degree.
In your dreams maybe. They can't legally register as a professional engineer and the consumer protection act will literally allow you to sue the firm for trying something like that.

> And a lot of the mangers had physics degrees.
In shitty IT departments yes.

>The thing with any pure science undergrad is that you are poorly qualified to actually do that pure science (with the exception of biology, where the medical research industry creates a need for a large pool of lab techs and office workers with knowledge of biological systems). So, for physics and chemistry majors, you end up with a skill set that qualifies you for a broad range of fields,

>You aren't qualified for anything, not even your own field, therefore you are qualified for other fields.
No. This is not even starting to get to how light the course load in pure majors are, it's like the freshman year of real majors with one or two specialized electives spread out over 4 years. Really pathetic, but then again they have to pass all those idiots because they refuse to raise their minimum entry requirements.
>>
>>7747929
what is your point? physics is a bad/weak major?
>>
Physics PhD here.
/sci/ yet again confirms it knows fuck all and is full of babbys who probably don't even have an undergrad degree.
If you have a degree in physics from a great uni, great GPA and had good internships under your belt, you'd have an unbelievably wide skillset. You'd be ultra-employable and be able to turn your hand to just about any job. A physics degree, given the right modules, should teach you some fairly advanced mathematics, as well as absolutely hammer into you a lifestyle of technical problem solving. It's an -excellent- degree to have.
Be warned , it's fucking hard. Good luck OP. Don't listen to /sci/ babbies,
>>
do biochemistry op
>>
File: woody.jpg (22KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
woody.jpg
22KB, 403x403px
>>7748673
So much this.
>>
>>7747885
sounds like you want to do research generally, not necessairly academia
remember its still very competetive.

personally, I think if you cant answer a question like that on your own, you should not do it
(Im a physics major myself)
>>
>>7747855
oh yeah

if you want to do research you need a masters (or phd, but its useless and only an entry ticket to overcrowded academia, dont do it)
bachelor in physics is not super employable. its more like an IQ test. you will get plenty jobs just because of that.

all 'physicist' job € research => get a grad degree
there are plenty of engineeringish jobs, laser, plasma & semiconductor is all/mostly physics

but yeah since you keep asking here insteadof caually or obsessevily finding out yourself, your physics career would be probably be forever gradstudent / postdoc and eventually teacher
or, more likely, one of the many dropouts that came with false expectations
>>
OP, you are going to die alone from starvation if you decide to be a physicist. Don't do it.
>>
>>7748673
that's awesome. do you think it's a good idea to just do Physics at uni?? Or is it good to combine with something else. I have a passion for it and would love to work in the field.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.