[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magnets and Health

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: DY04L.jpg (41KB, 230x360px) Image search: [Google]
DY04L.jpg
41KB, 230x360px
Sci, what do we know about the health properties (positive or negative) of magnets?

I know of one study they did back in the 90s where they put magnets on post-polio patients who had muscular or arthritic-like pain. The magnets (static, not varying magnetic fields) ranged between 300 and 500 Gauss.
"Patients who received the active device experienced an average pain score decrease of 4.4 +/- 3.1 (p < .0001) on a 10-point scale. Those with the placebo devices experienced a decrease of 1.1 +/- 1.6 points (p < .005)."

The study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9365349

So apparently magnets may have some potential to reduce pain. A few questions I have:

1) What could be a mechanism for this reduction in pain?
2) Does the north or south pole direction matter?
3) Are there any other studies you know of that talk about health effects of magnets?
>>
File: _20151226_103633.jpg (523KB, 1246x2034px) Image search: [Google]
_20151226_103633.jpg
523KB, 1246x2034px
>>
>>7745333
it seems crazy but maybe it works

maybe it accentuates the signals of the neurotransmitters affect on polarity, increasing the peaks? That might further recruit anti-pain responses like shunting and endorphins
>>
here is my dumbass two cents idea

from what i can tell pulses of current run through nerves to make signals, so maybe magnets interfere with those current pulses somehow to diminish them
>>
>>7745333

Placebo effect. 100%.

Medically, magnets are not able to do anything measurable. But things based on perception instead of measurement are very prone to the placebo effect. So, for things that aren't measurable, people made to think it works often report that it does.

Go watch the Penn and Teller episode of Bullshit! where they send an actor to a mall to use magnets to treat various pains and ills. Some of thr people treated report that it works. One thing they didn't tell the people: they weren't real magnets; just pieces of shiny metal. But the placebo effect is all that's making it "work," so it doesn't matter if they're really magnets.

tl;dr
It's quackery. In fact, it's *really old* quackery.
>>
File: alexchiu[1].jpg (37KB, 244x363px) Image search: [Google]
alexchiu[1].jpg
37KB, 244x363px
Magnets are the key to immortality.

Immortality Device has been tested and researched by medical researchers all over the world from time to time.

Don't buy inferior device like magnet bed, only ring mounted immortality device suitable.
>>
File: icp-mangets-werk.jpg (16KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
icp-mangets-werk.jpg
16KB, 500x250px
fckn mangets,
how do they werk?!
>>
File: 1365351248962.jpg (115KB, 591x530px) Image search: [Google]
1365351248962.jpg
115KB, 591x530px
>>7746793
>Two magicians took an actor to a mall once and played pretend. It's only a placebo.

>OP posts results of a double-blind study statistically showing it's not a placebo
>>
>>7745333
our body contains iron which reacts to magnets

>fucking magnets, how do they work?
>>
>>7746690
>>7746793
>>7746710
>>7746794
>>7746796
>>7746871
>>7746880
its not that crazy. your body is literally from clay and has metals and stuff.

pharmacuticals would be smart trying to hire as much scientists and experts and push disinfo to make sure the board scoffs at the idea of alternative medicines. They make bank from antidepressants.
>>
>>7746871
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9365349

Well, holy shit, call the papers. I'm shocked this isn't on the cover of every magazine in the country. What on earth could be causing any doubt about--

>Fifty patients

Ah. Never mind. Yeah, color me completely fucking skeptical. When I see it peer reviewed and the effect reproduced I'm sure I'll give a shit, but as that'll never happen, I think I'll stick to plain ol' "actually-works" medicine.
>>
>>7747016
Well when your refutation consists of a sub-Mythbusters level TV stunt, your argument is not worth considering.

...But only fifty patients does make the study garbage too, though.

In that case there's no real evidence either way. Saying it's definitely only a placebo effect is as equally unproven a statement.
>>
>>7747063
>...But only fifty patients does make the study garbage too, though.
No it fucking doesn't. Fifty patients is more than enough for just about any clinical trial.

Unless you've done the power analysis yourself and can demonstrate it was underpowered?
>>
What the fuck would happen if you injected 100mg of iron ion encapsulated in carbon buckyballs (to make it biologically inert) and put a big ass magnet near the extremities.
>>
>>7745333
maybe the patients were able to figure out which magnets were and weren't placebo magnets disabling the advantage of having a control
tldr people knew when they had real magnets and were more influenced by placebo
>>
>>7746968
>because your body has metal, magnets work and must cure mental illness
>being this braindead
>>
when i got an mri and the bed went down the magnets turned on. i felt better than i always do but just as accident prone i think. it lasted like 6 or 7 seconds.
>>
>>7747752
THERE

what more proof do you people need

inb4 2nd coming of jesus
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.