[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vector sequences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1428529584896.jpg (103KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
1428529584896.jpg
103KB, 750x600px
How do you define "increasing" or "decreasing" for a sequence of vectors? Do we use the standard norm [math]|| \cdot ||: V \rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/math] or what?
>>
>>7745062
Considering you just made up those two meaningless terms you can apply whatever definition you want.
>>
is length usually drawn with 2 lines or 1?
>>
File: sweating pepe.jpg (3KB, 125x119px) Image search: [Google]
sweating pepe.jpg
3KB, 125x119px
>>7745065
W-What did I make up?
>>
>>7745068
We do it with 2 lines breh
>>
>>7745062
You can say the sequence of norms is increasing. No need to bother with imprecise and clumsy extensions of familiar definitions to absurd contexts.
>>
>>7745071
But breh I need to prove the following sequence is converging and I want to do it with the monotone convergence theorem:

[eqn] \lim_{k\to\infty} \mathbf{v}P^{k} [/eqn]

I already know the sequence is bounded.
>>
>>7745077
What is P here? In any case I don't think there's any analogue of the theorem you're thinking of outside of R, so you'll need to use something else.
>>
File: 1437783972309.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1437783972309.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>7745078
P is a matrix representing a Markov chain. However P isn't diagonalizable. If we know the sequence converges it's easy. We just call [math] \lim_{k\to\infty} \mathbf{v}P^{k} = \mathbf{x} [/math] and then say:

[eqn] \lim_{k\to\infty} \mathbf{v}P^{k} = \lim_{k\to\infty} \mathbf{v}P^{k+1} \\

\lim_{k\to\infty} \mathbf{v}P^{k+1} = P \dot \lim_{k\to\infty} \mathbf{v}P^{k} \\

\mathbf{x} = \mathbf{x}P [/eqn]

Where [math]\mathbf{x}[/math] is the equilibrium vector but first we have to prove it converges it's driving me freaking nuts.
>>
>>7745087
I'm probably missing something but this seems obvious if you use a Jordan basis for P.
>>
>>7745095
>a Jordan basis for P
I haven't learned this yet m8
>>
>>7745098
Never mind, I realized that the theorem I was thinking of only works for complex vector spaces. I'm pretty sure this isn't true in general for operators on a real vector space so you'll have to use things about Markov chains specifically, which I don't know much about.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.