[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How late is too late

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: math-770x330-770x370.png (498KB, 770x370px) Image search: [Google]
math-770x330-770x370.png
498KB, 770x370px
I feel like the older I get, the more interested I become in learning more about math. Problem is, when I was in high school I fucking hated math, which leaves me now at 27, working in IT but barely able to solve a quadratic equation.

My question to you is: how would you recommend that a soon-to-be 30 year old approaches the subject of wanting to learn about math while having a huge complex over not being smart enough and having "missed the train"? Should I just buy old high school text books (soul-murdering) and power through them, or is there literature out there catering to those that feel like me?

What should I do?

inb4 "kill yourself"
>>
>>7743858
an hero
>>
>>7743858
find a personal tutor if you're that interested. it's the best way of having all that information tailored to you specifically.
>>
It's never to late to learn, man.
>>
>>7743866
spicy meme lad
>>
Why dont you go to community college and take math classes. Also anyone know how hard this class is?
>>
>>7743858
You've literally never done real math, why are you pretending to be interested in something you've had zero exposure to and have zero knowledge of? Stop being a pretentious fuckwit and get normalfag interests.
>>
>>7743880
being this autistic and defensive of the only thing you're good at
>>
>>7743878
Ez
>>
>>7743880
Do you think you have to have experience to have interests? If so, you must be very interested in sex.
>>
>>7743880
yeah? I knew I was interested in maths when I was 12 and didn't know shit.

>>7743858
Get school textbooks and power through them. Then get engineering maths by stroud and power though it after which you should be able to pick any intro textbook to a particular subject you're interested in.

avoid beta fag excuses like having shitty textbooks or being a visual learner. either you have it in you or you don't and sugarcoating it won't help.
>>
there are shit-tons of materials out there, from videos to (free) books to anything... if you want a guide, take a HS book
>>
Like one anon said, never too late to learn.
Who gives a shit for how long it takes to learn something. As long as it's what you want to do, do it.
It doesn't matter if you can't find the x intercepts of a quadratic equation at fast as other people.
>>
>>7743955
Also, if you're interested in some highschool math textbooks, these are the ones my school used:
Algebra 2 - Intermediate algebra, Dugopolski
Geometry - Geometry Seeing, Doing, Understanding, Harold R Jacobs
Precalculus - Precalculus with limits A graphing approach, Larson, Hostetler, Edwards
Calculus - Unsure, but Spivak's Calculus is a good one.
>>
>>7743878
Easy
>>
>>7743878
>LaPlace
This course is going to be piss easy my lad
>>
>>7743858
It's never too late man. As the other anons said, just get a tutor or take community college courses. Best of luck~
>>
>>7743917
>you have had a lot of sex
Nice comeback

(Not even that guy)
>>
>>7743878
>go on khan academy
>watch 2 hours worth of videos
>take class
>ez
>get A
>>
>>7743858
Was in a similar boat, though not as bad as you are.

The simplest advice I can give you is know your symbolic manipulation down cold. Look at a basic Algebra text and get good at solving equations for variables, simplifying expressions with shitloads of variables and partial fractions.

Take an algebra-based physics class to learn some real-world applications and challenge your brain.

I can't stress it enough, man. Symbolic manipulation. Derivatives and integrals, the slope of the tangent blah blah blah, the integrating factor in differential equations blah blah blah. Nope. All fucking symbolic manipulation skills.
>>
>>7743878
in order of difficulty (for me, of course)
calc III > calc II > diffy > calc I
take from it what you will
>>
>>7744726
Gotta tell the noob, though, that they do differential equations in undergrad calc classes. By the time they've been to a DE class they've already done plenty.

It's not just some magical mathematical barrier you pass each class.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.