[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't universities offer a history class for mathematics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Why don't universities offer a history class for mathematics and the sciences?

You know, for people who arent going to be history, social studies, english or art majors.
>>
What? When you said "a history class for math and science" I thought you meant a history OF math and science, which most universities will have classes in. But then from the second sentence I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>7742079

There are classes on the history of mathematics.
>>
>>7742087
I think OP meant courses like a history of mathematics course covering stuff in modern mathematics aimed at math majors. eg.
>Such and such theorem originally came about because so-and-so was trying to figure out X.
>Later on these other guys realized they could generalize it and the breakthroughs led to the theory of Y.

I don't know, OP. I imagine it's because there are typically many professors on staff versed well enough in the history of mathematics to be able to confidently cover the material.
>>
>>7742087
>>7742102
A class dedicated to mathematicians as well as chemistry, biology, physics, environment, etc.
>>
>>7742126
I don't know about other people but as a mathfag I would be much less interested in a course that included all that science shit compared to a math course. Mainly because the science side of things is often so narrow and specialized that it would pretty much dumb down the class to babby math level.
>>
>>7742079
they have a math history class at my uni
>>
>>7742079
As with others in this thread, my university offers a history-of-mathematics course. Furthermore, abstract algebra is a pre-req.
>>
My university has one. It's called "Conceptual History of Mathematics". Calc II is the pre-req.
>>
>>7742079
A lot of history is given as side notes in the classes and some unis even offer it as an extra or optative course
>>
My problem is that these classes are math based, so you need prereqs.

What about a math class that only studies the history of STEM, but isnt a proofs class as well.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.