[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we laugh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 144918_orig.jpg (81KB, 616x800px) Image search: [Google]
144918_orig.jpg
81KB, 616x800px
So /sci/, why do we laugh?

I can imagine its a signal that we're in a good mood or having a good time

But why do we laugh at certain things instead of others and why does everyone have a different sense of humor?
>>
We laugh when something is funny.
>>
>>7741796
Thx man it all makes sense now
>>
we laugh to fend off attacks from predators when we're caught off-guard.

Seriously imagine you're an animal and hear humans laugh like fucking hyenas
>>
File: 1447284571305.jpg (82KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
1447284571305.jpg
82KB, 900x450px
>>7741196
I talk about the dark humor because it is the kind with the least consensus, contrary to the genre burlesque or grotestque.

You have a disrespect towards a thing (which makes you laugh) which is, in itself, not funny for most people, and even worse, a thing which is a pain for the person bearing the hardship. This is disrespect towards a sacred thing by somebody not involved. Ex: a famous massacre from WW2: the german soldiers cooked the local baker in his oven. The germans were hysterical. this is funny. It is so sad, that your indignation becomes coated in the ridiculous. Sometimes we can find sadism as well in a laugh. With dark humor, you trace a frontier between the event and your self. This is a revolt. If the sad person manages to have a laugh at his predicaments, it only shows a strong personality IMO.

Nonetheless, you can find a notion of respect as well. Let's recall that a (dis)respect always implies a step back, a distance, from a thing, of the person showing respect to that thing. The previous paragraph talked about a layer of humor tacked on some tragic, some horror, some misery. Some call this the bitter laugh instead of a dark humor. In other words, we attach a seriousness to the human condition, to the life, to the universe but choose to laugh about it. With the bitter laugh, we elevate ourselves from the reality for The reality is a serious business beforehand.
By the new definition of a dark humor, on the contrary, we could say that the reality is absurd, an absurdity that we cannot grasp in full and even bear.
There are two cases: to laugh when we should whine, to whine when we should laugh.
On the one hand, with the bitter laugh, we can laugh from something, but instead we should have cried about it. On the second hand, we cry about something whereas we should laugh about it, we should mock the reality, the human destiny. The tragic does not exist, it was mystification from the outset. This is the entry point of the respect.
>>
>>7741839
But that doesn't explain us laughing to comedians and situations in general, we're not in any immediate danger in those situations and I can't imagine our bodies perceiving us to be so
>>
>>7741196
We laugh when things don't go exactly as planned, when things don't follow the pattern our brain predicted, blah blah Vsauce blah blah. It's not difficult to Google this shit yourself, yknow? It's quicker and probably less typing.
>>
>>7741867
I did, the results didn't really err fit my question...

Besides I think it's better than another IQ thread
>>
I laugh to forget.
>>
>>7741908
+1
>>
>>7741196
It is used for bonding with other people. It is a evolutionary trait that gives us an edge in social circles and life. It's overall effects help us cope with things. As a result those that laugh have better lives and more successfully have offspring who reach maturity to continue the line.

The type of humor we find funny is also evolved the same way. Which is why we don't laugh at anything we can't anthropomorphize first.
>>
>>7741196
It's a societal test. By laughing at jokes, people analyze others and when they laugh and smile with them, they know they are normal and feel safe. When somebody acts wierd, doesn't smile and doesn't give good emotional responses, it's an indication that the person is not entirely normal and would be potentially bad father / mother / family friend to keep around offspring. It's just natural selection in another form.
>>
>>7741196
There is only one thing in the world that universally makes everybody laugh, and that is the sight of your penis.
>>
>>7742287
Well it's definitely not your joke
>>
>>7742407
Right, I think I was pretty clear that it's OP's penis, not anything else. You're preaching to the choir.
>>
>>7741851
I said caught off-guard
you laugh when something unexpected or illogical happens
>>
>>7742440
But it's also definitely none of your posts either
>>
>>7742658
cringe/10
>>
>>7742807
Still not laughing
>>
>>7741196
it's the joy of debugging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzN-uIVkfjg
>>
>>7741908
Sending thoughts and prayers
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.