[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What field of study ISN'T a meme these days...?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: 1434747443960.jpg (482KB, 1000x1926px) Image search: [Google]
1434747443960.jpg
482KB, 1000x1926px
What field of study ISN'T a meme these days...?
>>
Nanotech and Materials
>>
Any engineering field or mathematics.

But mainly, do what you want that is economically viable to pay off your debts and help you remain self sufficient.
>>
>>7739874
None. Studying IS a meme.
>>
Geology will land you a better job 9 times out of 10
>>
>>7739883
>Nanotech
Meme.
> and Materials
Pretty good. Has actual working nanotech and doesn't try to change it's name from what it really is.

>>7739884
>Any engineering field
>What is EP, Mechatronics, Biomed, Industrial "engineering", and environmental engineering.
A goddamn meme that's what it is.

>>7739912
Geology is also decent. Established profession, not too over saturated, respectable discipline that doesn't try to reach and pretend it's anything more than it really.

Pretty much most traditional disciplines are not memes.
>>
>>7739874
>apprenticeships
>>
>>7739922
What do you consider "traditional disciplines?"
>>
>>7739932
Traditional disciplines.
Math, engineering (chem, nuke, aero, civil, mech, EE, comp. only), chemistry (incl. pharma and biochem), physics (if you have realistic expectations), , biology (not incl. an entire degree dedicated to sub fields biotech, ecology, zoology etc.).

Memes:
>Anything with "interdisciplinary" in the brochure (excl. biochem, but especially shit like EP)
>Made up shit and buzzwords (anything with "nano", "tech management" etc. in it)
>Anything that has a subfield of the traditional disciplines in the name (the real bullshit like things with "quantum" in the name come here, also astro physics/astronomy (a dedicated degree instead of a real physics degree with specialization))
>>
>>7739922
>Believing we don't need people in these fields
>Believing the world can live with only math, mechanical, medical and electronic engineers
>Believing these fields don't provide livable pay and can pay off their college debts easily.

Kek'd. Have fun with your life, kid. Hope you're happy with your non-meme career a bunch of antisocial autists on a Chinese cartoon image board convinced you of.
>>
>>7739943
>nano is a buzzword
You are a meme
>>
>>7739946
>Believing we don't need people in these fields
We already have REAL engineers in that field. That is to people who actually mastered a discipline and then learned another as opposed to dilettantes who mastered neither field and generally aren't employed in the industry.
>Believing the world can live with only math, mechanical, medical and electronic engineers
No, we need farmers, waitress staff, assistants, finance guys and technologists too.
>Believing these fields don't provide livable pay and can pay off their college debts easily.
Sure, except the graduates find employment everywhere except the field their degree was intended for. Hence the meme. You have to be very naive to believe a rookie department's brochure instead of doing your own research to see where their graduates actually end up (hint: not STEM).

/sci/ has had several people who studied degrees like nanoengineering validate our concerns over the years. We keep telling people not to do the meme degrees, but they always think they know better. At least they usually admit their mistakes after the fact, unfortunately the new generation won't listen to their preaching.

>Kek'd. Have fun with your life, kid. Hope you're happy with your non-meme career a bunch of antisocial autists on a Chinese cartoon image board convinced you of.
I actually decided on my career long before I knew 4chan even existed. Some of us did our research as a teen instead of jacking off or pretending high-school coursework consumes any time.
>>
Engineering
>>
>>7739922
Don't know where you live, but where I live there is always call for environmental engineers. Booming clean energy industry and what not.
>>
>>7739959
Environ is only a meme because ChemEs can do it too while having alternative prospects.

Environ is traditionally a subfield of ChemE.

The put the feather on the meme cap, environE degrees are difficult and do many of the same courses required for process engineering, yet aren't recognised as being able to work in that industry.
>>
>>7739953
So from a physics degree what would be a good field to go into?
>>
>[thing i don't like] is a meme
>hahaha xD jet fuel cant melt steel beams xD dank meeeeeeeeeememes
>mememsmemem ememe memem mememe
>is a meme is a meme is a mimi is a meme is am maytm maymaymamymaymaymaym
You're all unfunny cancer.
>>
>Do Petroleum engineering you'll get a job right out of college

AHAHAHAHA
>>
the holy trinity
---
mechanical engineering
electrical engineering
chemical engineering
---
all required for society to function, all good choices, and you will get a job when you graduate, more likely than most majors to actually be related to what you studied
>>
>>7740033
Was true about 10 years ago, now it's over saturated as fuck thanks to a great campaign by Petroleum companies
>>
>>7739874
Civil.
>Absolute necessity
>Easy as shit
>Actually get to go out and get some sun so you're not a pale awkward aspie
>>
File: dank.png (17KB, 1238x241px) Image search: [Google]
dank.png
17KB, 1238x241px
Memeology
>>
>>7740045
replace mech with civil then yes
>>
Photonics
>>
>>7740108
>Actually get to go out and get some sun so you're not a pale awkward aspie
literally the reason I'm studying civil, fucking huge list of jobs I'm basically just driving between places and going "yep, that looks good. you got some coffee?"
>>
nothing is a meme, do what you enjoy and live life you fucking quack
>>
>>7739874
Applied Math
>>
>muh meme

fuck you /sci/
>>
>>7740045
I failed engineering hard by being all fucked up and going to college anyway. Not sure what to do anymore, might end up suiciding since it's been years since I got kicked out of it and nothing has happened
>>
>>7739943
Computational Physics is a meme? Seems pretty legit to me.
>>
>>7739874

microbiology
cant preform math when there are millions of diseases and germs trying to kill you constantly.

microbio is the PINNACLE of human scientific research, just before theoretical physics
>>
>>7741008
Learn a trade, or go back to community college and work back up from the bottom. You are in a bad place, but you can get out of it. If you an hero now, you'll always be "that failure".
>>
>>7741034
what this guy said. killing yourself is the ultimate bitch move. you don't want to be that cunt who just tips the king when he sees there is a chance he might lose a game of chess. no, you lose like a champ and ask for a rematch
>>
>>7739874
Mathematics. Applied, pure or teaching. Non of them are memes.

Not only is studying mathematics not popular (not by a long shot), but now there is not a single soul who would say memes such as 300k starting. The meme is now to hate on math so I would claim that everything BUT mathematics is a meme now. Specially engineering.
>>
>>7741034
I tried that, it didn't work out. long story short, I took the same classes twice and walked off with 7 f's on my record and a big dent in the bank.
>>
>>7741015
Wish I could find a job with my micro/molecular bio degree.
>>
>>7739874
Hotel management
>>
>>7739874
Better ask: "What ISN'T a meme these days...?"
>>
Park ranger

Catch couples in the act
>>
>>7740894
kek nice bait
>>
>>7741012
>Computational Physics
If the degree literally says "Computational Physics" on it then yes it almost certainly a meme and probably not a real physics degree.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.