[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is -51F realistic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: cold.jpg (159KB, 600x901px) Image search: [Google]
cold.jpg
159KB, 600x901px
According to news reports, the temperature in one part of Colorado has dropped to -51F (-46C). While much of the east coast is experiencing short sleeve weather, the drop to -51F is rather extreme even for high altitude Colorado.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/12/22/A-cold-day-at-Antero-Reservoir-51-below-in-Colorado/6451450804077/

Am I missing something in the news reports as to why it can be that much colder at this location other than altitude? Is there perhaps a microclimate that reinforces the low temperatures? According to Wikipedia, the area in question is usually mild in comparison to surrounding areas. I keep thinking there must be some catch in what is being reported where the author went for the better headline than for accuracy.
>>
>>7739863
>Fahrenheit
Why?
>>
File: Astronaut-temp-Moon.jpg (53KB, 616x402px) Image search: [Google]
Astronaut-temp-Moon.jpg
53KB, 616x402px
>>7740159
(F - 32)/1.8 = C
>>
>>7740159
Because it sounds so much better.

I'd rather hear 80 degrees than 27 degrees. It sounds so much comfier.

Same with feet and inches. I'd rather hear "X foot X" than "X cm"

This is why Europoors are always upset. They lack the comfiness.
>>
>>7740159
fahrenheit and celsius are equally unscientific. they are both completely arbitrary and meant for real-life applicability, which they both have.

pointless discussion, they are both fine.
>>
>>7740236
>muh equivalency fallacy

So tired of this meme. C is better than F and you fucking know it. They are NOT "equally" unscientific and arbitrary.
>>
>>7740262
They're both not Kelvin, and thus do not start zero at absolute zero.
>>
>>7740277

Yeah and C is still better than F you fag.
>>
>>7739863
Plausible but unseasonably cold. In the past around this time where I live, we've had -40C temperatures and I'm in a significantly lower altitude. Granted I'm a little further north than Colorado, but not significantly.
>>
>>7740262
from a scientific standpoint they are.
sry for applying that standard on /sci/

>>7740277
>They're both not Kelvin

not kelvin, rankine or any other arbitrary scale with an absolute zero (kelvin is arbitrary aswell, you could literally make up your own scale and it would be just as valid)
>>
>>7740291

Yes and designing a garden shed using a rotating spherical coordinate system with origin at alpha cenauri is also "valid" but it's fucking stupid and so is fahrenheit.
>>
>>7740291
Kelvin is less arbitrary than Fahrenheit or Celsius.

>>7740278
>>7740306
Chill your mammary glands.
>>
>>7740313

I'll chill when you admit Celsius is better. Otherwise I will find you and kick you ass IRL.
>>
>>7740291
>just as valid
What about the wavelength of the radiation given off by an object as a temperature scale?
Or even better, the average kinetic energy of an atom within in the system divided by the average mass of an atom (within the system) as a temperature scale.

I just came up with both of these, they're less arbitrary than kelvin.
>>
>>7740313
>Kelvin is less arbitrary than Fahrenheit or Celsius.

yes, but it still is an arbitrary scale, in the sense that there is an infinite amount of possibly valid temperature scales. kelvin uses the triple point of water as a fixation, rankine uses the freezing point of brine, and if you felt like it, you could construct a temperature scale around the boiling point of hafnium.

as long as it just has one fixation point and an absolute zero, it is "valid" ( = it could be mapped to every other scientific scale )
>>
>>7740320
>What about the wavelength of the radiation given off by an object as a temperature scale?

Just trading arbitrary temperature unit for arbitrary length unit.

>Or even better, the average kinetic energy of an atom within in the system divided by the average mass of an atom (within the system) as a temperature scale.

That isn't equivalent to temperature.
>>
Celsius is an outdated and inaccurate measurement and I think we will see a lot of institutions moving away from it.(some major ones already have)
>>
>>7740201
this post made no sense
>>
>>7740608
Neither does slugs/hogshead.
>>
>>7740336
>meter
>arbitrary
1 meter is the distance light travels in (a vacuum) 1/299792458 seconds, which is defined using a universal constant.
>>
>>7740201
Fahrenheit makes zero sense to me. When I hear 80 F or whatever it means absolutely nothing to me, like someone saying 80 zorks. This exemplifies why the system has stuck in America, the powers that be never taught the kids the new system and the older people who grew up with it can't change because their brains are set to feel hot when they hear 80 F and cold when they hear 30 F. When I hear "30 degrees" I imagine heat. We actually have the same problem here in Europe, the older generation before the metric switch is still alive and kicking therefore imperial units are still widely used unofficially with a lot of resistance. The moral of all this is that you only prefer Fahrenheit because that is what you were taught.
>>
>>7740772
0 degrees Fahrenheit = crazy cold
100 degrees Fahrenheit = crazy hot
It's a scale for humans.
>>
>>7740785
100 degrees celsius is boiling hot
0 degrees celsius is freezing cold
What's your point?
>>
>>7740800
Fahrenheit is a scale for humans.
Celsius is a scale for water.
>>
>>7740201
>It sounds so much comfier
so basically
>I'm used to hearing it because I'm an american
"sounds comfier" is completely arbitrary
>>
>>7740236
>fahrenheit and celsius are equally unscientific.

Not so sure I agree with you on this.
Celsius is at least linearly related to Kelvin scale.
And let me ask you this--when is the last time that you saw a Kelvin thermometer in a science lab? Probably the same time as you saw a Fahrenheit one.
>>
>>7739863
>Is there perhaps a microclimate that reinforces the low temperatures?

Well, why does Death Valley always seem to have an inordinately high temp in the summer?
Certainly there are scientific reasons, but who knows what they are.
>>
>not using glorious planck units for everything.
>>
>>7739863
Altitude with unnatural humidity?>>7739863
>>7739863
>>
Amazing how well this thread discussion is going. I can see the heated debate on the question at hand
>>
File: dozen-eggs.jpg (23KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
dozen-eggs.jpg
23KB, 500x300px
>>7741254
Half of it boils down to "this is what I grew up with so it is superior" which is stupid because they're all using base ten instead of the vastly superior base twelve.
>>
>>7740201
American here.

I really wouldnt mind meters, grams, liters and celsius as our national measures
>>
Winds, atmospheric pressure, humidity, elavation, sun exposure/season, time of day and other externalities effect weather and temperature.

We also dont know if the weather is in a refridgeration type of cycle where the heat is being pulled from the upper atmosphere down and causing extreme weather above due to the aformentioned variables.

Its why im skeptical of climate change pushers and deniers. Our knowledge isnt clear enough to make accurate models of ongoing weather, much less for accurate predictions 1 month from now and even less for a decade from now.
>>
>>7742009
>base 12
>3 feet per yard
>22 yards per chain
>10 chains per furlong
>24 furlongs per mile
>>
>>7740862
nigga you're a human having a human experience.
You were born human, you will die human.
Just embrace being human.
Embrace comfy.
>>
>>7740785
>>7740819

0 degrees: freezing point of water on Earth, the single most important temperature difference to humans

negative: freezing
single digits: need a coat
teens: sweater weather
20s: comfortable outside in indoor clothes
30s: beach weather

1 degree celsius: the smallest noticeable difference in air temperature, approximately

Seems pretty fucking intuitive and human-friendly to me and I grew up with Fahrenheit.
>>
>>7740608

You will never feel cozy feels towards scales. You are cold an inhuman. You may as well just kill yourself .
>>
Am I the only one who uses both systems of measurement interchangeably? My teacher got ticked off because I kept switching them around. For temperature I grew up with Celsius but with things like height I won't perceive 190cm as tall until they show me the measurement in feet
>>
>>7740188
(C * 1.8) + 32 = F
>>
>>7740323
This may be true, but there is a difference between valid and useful as >>7740306
points out.

Choosing a system that is useful for its application only makes sense.
>>
>>7742264
nah that's shit for humans. F is better
>>
File: laffin fam.png (20KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
laffin fam.png
20KB, 120x120px
>>7740315
>shitty weak non-American sissy
>kicking a big strong American ass
>>
>>7742264
>0 degrees: freezing point of water on Earth, the single most important temperature difference to humans
It's important sure, but not in every day life. By the same logic one would argue that Kelvin is an even better scale for every day use because absolute zero is so much more important.

People don't agonize over the weather because they're concerned on whether or not a glass of water will freeze if left out for long enough. It's also not the case that people immediately decide that if it's below 0 outside then it's too cold to go out.

The Fahrenheit scale pretty much sets limits for what temperatures you want to go out at. It's designed so that 100 degrees is the normal human body temperature (though due to a fuck-up it actually sits at 98 degrees). Most humans don't like sitting out in the sun when the ambient temperature is hotter than the normal human body temperature (unless they're doing something else to vent off heat). Similarly most people are fine going out in a coat when the temperature is below freezing but they're much more hesitant to stay out for long when the temperature is below 0 degrees F. You typically want to hang out at about 75 degrees F (about room temperature). Below that is chilly but by adding layers of clothing you can be just fine at temperatures pretty close to 0. Similarly things get warmer above 75 F but removing layers of clothing or doing certain activities can make you comfortable at temperatures around 100 as well.

If you live in a hot region that regularly goes over 100 then you adjust the scale by 10 degrees F (since you're also less accustomed to the cold).

>single digits: need a coat
>teens: sweater weather
>20s: comfortable outside in indoor clothes
>30s: beach weather
lol and people criticize the English system for being arbitrary.
>>
>>7742400
>By the same logic one would argue that Kelvin is an even better scale for every day use because absolute zero is so much more important.

Oh would you stop being retarded please? (Let's leave aside the fact that Kelvin and Celsius are the same unit just shifted by 273 degrees)

If a temperature scale has 0 at the freezing point of water that's critical for everyday life. If you know the temperature is gonna be below 0°C you know shit's gonna freeze, which means snow, black ice, and cold weather, so better prepare for that. How do I tell in the Fahrenheit system when I should start salting the street?

I wouldn't even know at what temperature water freezes in the Fahrenheit scale.

>lol and people criticize the English system for being arbitrary.

>ten degree steps
>arbitrary

Please refrain your inner Ameritard from acting up again
>>
>>7742369

Being fat and huge doesn't mean you're strong, fatty
>>
>>7740277
>They're both not Kelvin

Actually Celsius IS Kelvin and Kelvin is based on the Celsius scale. Kelvin just puts zero at absolute zero to be a Celsius scale without negative numbers, to make scientific calculating easier. Kelvin also uses Water as its base to determine what a degree is.

So yeah, Celsius IS more scientific than Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit is just absolutely retarded. And let's put things into perspective: The germans, you know the people who INVENTED Fahrenheit, don't even use Fahrenheit because it's just that retarded. There is only one people on this planet stupid enough to use that scale.
>>
>>7742452
Kelvin:
>0 degrees: absolute zero
>100 degrees: means nothing
lol

>Water freezing on the street
Yea, because every day everyone wakes up and asks themselves if it's the first day of Winter.

By the time it's gotten cold enough for shit to freeze you already know it's coming. More importantly if the streets were frozen yesterday then you don't look at the temperature and say "oh it's 1 degree today, means we're safe now". This shit is simply not an every day problem.

Water freezes at 32 degrees F, really though what matters is that by then you're at the opposite end of the scale from where you want to be (room temp is 72 degrees).

>10, 20, 30 not arbitrary
The problem isn't the 10 degree increments. The problem is that your scale stops at 30. In other words, it's arbitrary to make a scale where you only use 30% of it because it simply doesn't apply to ambient human living conditions.

Every portion of the Fahrenheit scale is used in every day life. If someone picks a random temperature between 0 and 100 on the Fahrenheit scale then odds are you've experienced it and can relate.
>>
>>7742482

>Yea, because every day everyone wakes up and asks themselves if it's the first day of Winter.

You've pretty much proven that you're underage. Have you never gritted the road? You know when you need to grit the road? When it's 0°C

The scale doesn't stop at 30. 40 is when temperatures become critical for humans.
Temperatures above that are very well used for
say cooking because knowing when water boils is pretty fucking useful for that.

You're saying the ten degree steps are arbitrary, but 32°F and 72°F as your critical points that make Fahrenheit superior are not? What logic is behind that? It's just stupid
>>
>>7742489
>Gritting your own road.
What's it like living in a third world country?

Okay, so
>40 to 90 degrees will literally never affect your life.
>100 degrees matters when you're boiling water.
My_sides.png

>You're saying the ten degree steps are arbitrary, but 32°F and 72°F as your critical points that make Fahrenheit superior are not? What logic is behind that? It's just stupid
Draw a line segment by hand. Mark it at the halfway point. Then mark it at the 32 percent mark and at the 72 percent mark. The marks will sit pretty much the same distance from the halfway mark but on opposite sides of the scale.
>>
>>7739863
>While much of the east coast is experiencing short sleeve weather

They're excluding Florida in this right? It's still hot as fuck
>>
>>7742503
>What's it like living in a third world country?

Okay seriously are you stupid or what? Tell me a single third world country where you need to grit the road

>40 to 90 degrees will literally never affect your life.
And? This is literally an autism argument. The only thing bothering you is that you don't see some arbitrary numbers between 0 and 100.

>100 degrees matters when you're boiling water.
>My_sides.png
Cooking is an everday task. Just because Mommy does it every day for you doesn't mean us adults don't need it every day.

>Draw a line segment by hand. Mark it at the halfway point. Then mark it at the 32 percent mark and at the 72 percent mark. The marks will sit pretty much the same distance from the halfway mark but on opposite sides of the scale.

But so fucking what? It's just some random ass numbers with no clear reference points. 100 degree is the human temperature and 0 degree is uh... very cold? But not that cold? What is 0 degree Fahrenheit?

To someone who doesn't use Fahrenheit you might was well use boogaloos.

You know 784 boogaloos is pretty hot. 543 boogaloos is okay, but never go under 400 boogaloos that's too cold.
>>
>>7742452
A good portion of humanity lives in places where it never gets below freezing. Check your water phase privilege.
>>
>>7742527
0 F is the freezing point of alcohol.
Important because it was put in compasses since it didn't freeze on long journeys.
Celsius is just as arbitrary. In fact, they use the same incremental scale.
>>
>>7742527
>Cooking is an everday task. Just because Mommy does it every day for you doesn't mean us adults don't need it every day.

Yes it is but how does knowing 100 degree = boiling point of water help you cook? Have you ever seen water refuse to boil because you didn't have a thermometer sitting in the pot while you watched it? Is there any cooking tasking where knowing 100 degrees = boiling water is essential or even tangentially important to the task? Pretty much every cooking task that involves knowing the temperature of the contents of your pot has nothing to do with the boiling point of water.
>>
>>7742527
>Okay seriously are you stupid or what? Tell me a single third world country where you need to grit the road
The one you live in, clearly. In most civilized countries this is handled as a public service.

>>7742527
>And? This is literally an autism argument. The only thing bothering you is that you don't see some arbitrary numbers between 0 and 100.
No, it's that if I were to choose a random number between 0 and 1000, like 68, then odds are most people wouldn't be able to relate to it as a temperature in Celsius.

>Cooking is an everday task. Just because Mommy does it every day for you doesn't mean us adults don't need it every day.
I cook for myself. However if you cooked for yourself you would know that unless you're doing something very specific (like bringing sugar up to soft-ball stage) you don't often care about the boiling point of water. More often than not you care about temperatures like 400 degrees and you measure them by using the smoke point of the oil you're using.

>But so fucking what? It's just some random ass numbers with no clear reference points. 100 degree is the human temperature and 0 degree is uh... very cold? But not that cold? What is 0 degree Fahrenheit?
The difference in temperature from room temperature to it's so god damn hot I can't do anything but lay here and wait till it passes (100 degrees) is the same as the difference between freezing and 0 degrees.
>>
>>7742524
I live in Miami and I concur but short sleeve weather means it IS hot as fuck
>>
File: grabbing his energizers.jpg (6KB, 107x143px) Image search: [Google]
grabbing his energizers.jpg
6KB, 107x143px
>>7740201
>he hasn't googled gezelligheid
>>
>>7739863
I fucking love this weather. I'll take 60 degrees any day.

Fuck the cold and fuck the 100+ inches of snow and fuck the people who like snow.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.