[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemistry, I guess.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: hf.gif (48KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
hf.gif
48KB, 400x271px
Is there a way to neutralize hydrofluoric acid that's soaked into leather? We had a spill at the water plant I work at, and I got enough on my boots that my coworkers told me to throw them away. I'd rather not, I just finished breaking them in and so I was wondering if there's a way to neutralize it. If it matters, they're steel toed red wing Wellington boots, and all of the chemical got on the outside.
>>
soak a base into them
>>
Calcium gluconate-gel works if HF comes in contact with skin, dunno if it works with leather as well
>>
>>7739641
hydroFLUORIC? Stuff's no joke. Acid effects on cotton and leather well take some time to appear. I'd toss them for safety. Boots are cheaper than skin graphs.
>>
>>7739805
>skin graphs

I hope he labels his axis'
>>
>>7739641
From what I've read, just throw them away. Even experienced chemists seem to regard HFl as one of the most dangerous things you can come into contact with, toxicity wise.
>>
>>7739805
Yeah. OP, when did this happen? Was it today? If you've touched the boots at all, or if there is any chance the HF came into contact with your skin, however remote, I'd consult a doctor immediately. That 4 on the hazard diamond isn't hyperbole.
>>
File: boxer.jpg (120KB, 270x344px) Image search: [Google]
boxer.jpg
120KB, 270x344px
>>7739808
Ugh, excuse by late night typing.

I was about to attach some ACID accident gore to make the point but I'll spare it.
>>
>hydrofluroric acid is literally one of the most toxic substances known to man
>add fluorine to water because what could go wrong
>>
>>7739641
Toss them and make sure that no one will want to use them. If that shit gets on your skin, you could actually die from a heart attack and it's extremely painful while you wait for that to inevitably happen.
>>
>>7739832
Damn, you can't even burn them to get rid of them. Bag 'em in layers I guess.
>>
>>7739828
Holy fuck that does make sense. Why the fuck do they do this then? Is it a slow acting poison? Would 'hydroflouric' acid retard child development?
>>
>>7739838
They add fluoride, not fluorine. Learn the difference, it could save your life.
>>
Hey OP, chemist here. I've never used HF personally, but if they're nice boots I'd wash them thoroughly several times (should clear out any soluble fluoride salts, which are the nasty ones), then maybe rub in some calcium glutonate to immobilise what's left (CaF2 is insoluble: this is one of the reasons HF is nasty, because your body assumes that Ca2+ ions in solution are going to stay in solution). Any mobile fluoride that's left should be in a low enough concentration to ignore.

Remember: dilution is the solution to pollution!
>>
I don't see how this question is answerable without knowing the concentration. You can buy 2% hydrofluoric acid stain remover at the grocery store, used for removing rust stains from laundry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCa2Xv1mscM
>>
I am more worried by how the flying fuck you got into a situation where you spilt that stuff on your feet op. You need to SERIOUSLY consider your approach and the H&S and work instructions.

Safety apparel does a job. It saves your life. It saves you from any serious injury. You would not wear a safety helmet after a serious crash.... because it would shatter in a repeat scenario - you would die.

Your boots are compromised. A base will make them usable - but not for working with toxics, only for outside wear. So my answer to you is a question....

How much do you value being able to walk?
>>
>>7739838
>posting in chem thread
>not knowing difference between fluorine and fluoride
>>
>>7739641
No even gloves save you from the little fluorine ions OP, it's supposed that if you have contact with HF, you should apply a neutralizing agen to your skin and go to hospital immediately. HF penetrates your skin really quick, and seems to promote some sort of accelerated osteoporosis.
>>
>>7739809
>HFl
>>
trash the boots. HF is too shitty to take any risks with it.
>>
>>7739838
The difference between drinking fluoridated water and hydroflouric acid is *exactly* analogous to the difference between drinking saltwater, and drinking hydrochloric acid.

The difference in chemical properties is laughably massive. It's like the difference between pure hydrogen peroxide and water.
>>
It doesn't appear the OP has responded to this thread since posting it. What are the odds he's actually dead?
>>
>>7741001
He could be hospitalized while they decide how much to amputate while they try to keep him from going into cardiac arrest.
>>
My chem teacher told us a horror story about HFl. Said a guy was stepping a bucket of it and the lid broke. A good portion of his leg got submerged. He was completely fucked, didn't make it. Electronegativity aint no joke.
>>
this is why I skipped chemistry and decided to go with life sciences
>>
>>7741454
>HFl
what the fucking fuck is Fl
>>
>>7741466
woops, not sure where that "l" came from
>>
>>7739809
>HFl
prepare for a beatdown
>>
>>7741458
my nigga amirite?
>>
File: wegottatalk.jpg (3KB, 125x106px) Image search: [Google]
wegottatalk.jpg
3KB, 125x106px
>>7739809
>>7741454
>>
>>7740629
Hydrochloric acid is a stronger acid than hydrofluoric acid. Your stomach contains hydrochloric acid.
A strong acid and the anion of a weak acid form the anion of the strong acid and the weak acid.
[math]2 \; \mathrm{HCl} + {\mathrm{CO}_3}^{2-} \rightarrow 2 \; \mathrm{Cl}^- + [{\mathrm{H_2 CO}_3}][/math]
Wouldn't that mean that in your stomach hydrofluoric acid is formed if you ingest fluoride?
[math]\mathrm{HCl} + \mathrm F ^- \rightarrow \mathrm{Cl}^- + \mathrm{HF}[/math]
>>
>>7741583
You cant fill a glass with fluoride ions, you have to start with the acid in the first place you mong
>>
File: 1444030225942.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1444030225942.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>7741583
and the NWO puts this shit in our children's drinking water, new vaccine much?

>>7741614
this retard
>>
HF is only slightly stronger than acetic acid in terms of pKa. It's not the acidity that hurts you, the corrosion occurs by a different mechanism and systemic toxicity is the major concern.
>>
>>7741650
So what makes HF so dangerous? The F- ions?
>>
>>7739838
Back to the basics, nigga.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8mbGH6b2cg
>>
File: not_chlorine.png (431KB, 538x422px) Image search: [Google]
not_chlorine.png
431KB, 538x422px
>>7741681
That's horrible.
That's not chlorine. He even refers to it as a gas. And yet holds up a liquid (which was probably water; no reason for it not to be).
>>
File: 1447854198582.png (58KB, 259x308px) Image search: [Google]
1447854198582.png
58KB, 259x308px
>>7741691
It's intended for the most basic rundown of chemistry.
You can't really "show" chlorine gas off to children and I doubt they would have used real cold liquid chlorine for a set piece.
>>
File: chlorine.jpg (17KB, 203x200px) Image search: [Google]
chlorine.jpg
17KB, 203x200px
>>7741715
I know that it's meant for children. But talking about chlorine as a gas and then holding up a liquid might seem confusing.
>>
>>7741666
>>7741650

It actually is the low acidity that causes it to fuck you up more. HF permeates the skin much easier than it's constituent ions. Once in your body, the F- reacts highly exothermically with Ca2+ and it essentially just reks ya cunt.
>>
>>7741583
not necessarily, F- is extremely stable and would be resistant to protonation. while what you say is true wrt to weak/strong acid-base ion pairs or whatever, the concentration of HF that would be formed is extremely low.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.