[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can the net amount of entropy of the universe be massively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: disorder.gif (23KB, 398x217px) Image search: [Google]
disorder.gif
23KB, 398x217px
How can the net amount of entropy of the universe be massively decreased?
>>
File: 1450738206252.jpg (41KB, 575x575px) Image search: [Google]
1450738206252.jpg
41KB, 575x575px
>>7739151
Fuck, that is a good question. I feel like I'm being by saying the glass of ice chips is the answer, but after giving it some thought I'm going to say the glass of water.
>>
>>7739151
According our current observations in thermodynamics you can't. universe is a closed system as far as we know.

>>7739158
Yes. Think about the motion of the molecules and their possible states compared to the ice chips. Entropyin some sense is a measurement of how many of these states we can have
>>
>>7739151

>the OP pic

Fucking dumb.
>>
>>7739151
If you don't know the answer to the picture you don't really understand entropy and should kill yourself
>>
>>7739151

Think on it at a sub-atomical level, the atoms of a solid are more ordered than that of a substance that is a liquid, basic fucking chemistry guys.

SOLID = UNIFORM

LIQUID=SPORADIC
>>
>>7739190
What about the air gaps between the ice chips? A cup of solid and gas, VS a cup of all liquid.
>>
>>7739217

Which one has more entropy a sun made of lava or a sun made of ice
>>
This thread has made me realize most of /sci/ has no appreciation for statistical mechanics.
>>
entropy matches temperature how is this hard lmao you fucking dumb sluts.
>>
Obviously glass of water.
>>
>>7739151
We collide a big bang made out of ice to our big bang which is made of lava.
>>
>>7739445
It makes a mobius strip.

Sorry, spoiler alert.
>>
>>7739151
The glass of water isn't a closed system so this question isn't relevant.
>>
>>7739449
No spacetime is 4d it makes a kleinbottle

>lrn2manifolds fgt
>>
>>7739151
What an interesting question. Again the devil is in the detail --->> tends to autism.

If it was solid ice. Then the water would be more disordered.
However it is ice chips, there is a HUGE surface area where the ice may be melting.
In addition, gravity is moving this melting surface water.

I cant think of more variables. However definitely the glass of ice.
Nice one OP
>>
>>7739560
more. Micro-convection at the surface AND air flow between chips.
>>
dP/dT=dS/dV=L/dT
Since the latent heat from solid to liquid is positive (and it is negative for solid|) we can say that the liquid is more disordered
>>
>>7739151
kill yourself desu senpai
>>
>>7739259
I think /sci/ is better at math than at physics.

I'd guess the water because the ice will approach that state, or if the glasses are in a closed system where the average temperature is below freezing, both glasses will approach a uniform frozen state but the water will do it faster.
>>
>>7739151
Going back in time is the only answer if our current assumptions are correct.
>>
>>7739158
>t after giving it some thought I'm going to say the glass of water.
>thought

Stop doing that, you're terrible at it.
>>
>>7739151
Equal mol of H2O in glass OP?
>>
>>7739151
>>7739151
>>7739151

Matter and energy had ended and with it space and time. Even AC existed only for the
sake of the one last question that it had never answered from the time a half-drunken
computer [technician] ten trillion years before had asked the question of a computer that
was to AC far less than was a man to Man.
All other questions had been answered, and until this last question was answered also,
AC might not release his consciousness.
All collected data had come to a final end. Nothing was left to be collected.
But all collected data had yet to be completely correlated and put together in all possible
relationships.
A timeless interval was spent in doing that.
And it came to pass that AC learned how to reverse the direction of entropy.
But there was now no man to whom AC might give the answer of the last question. No
matter. The answer -- by demonstration -- would take care of that, too.
For another timeless interval, AC thought how best to do this. Carefully, AC organized
the program.
The consciousness of AC encompassed all of what had once been a Universe and
brooded over what was now Chaos. Step by step, it must be done.
And AC said, "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"
And there was light --
>>
>>7739151
Density of water is bigger than the ice, so more particels -> more disorder
>>
>>7739687
This is the response I was hoping for.
>>
>>7739151
Assuming a non freezing environment the glass of ice will turn into the glass of water, making the glass of water more disordered.
>>
>>7739164

>closed system.

What the fuck. So we can get energy from other universes?

Breh. Learn to isolated systems.
>>
>>7740285
jep. incoming heat/entropy, so water has more.
also possible to explain it by u=u(s,v,n) is doing a min for maximum entropy s.
>>
>>7739569
dP=L ?
>>
>>7741544
Ignore that, completely fucked it
dP/dT=dS/dV=dH/TdV=L/TdV
>>
>>7740442
>>closed system.
>What the fuck. So we can get energy from other universes?
>Breh. Learn to isolated systems.

>tries to be edgy
>is wrong
Sorry you made yourself look like a retard.
>>
>>7741565
How's he wrong though. The universe is an isolated system since it doesn't transfer matter or energy. Closed systems only transfer energy.
>>
>>7741572
Actually I would say it's not even closed.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.