[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EMdrive, EM drive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: 0.jpg (23KB, 350x236px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
23KB, 350x236px
So, I recently heard about the EM drive and how it seems (as I understand?) it actually work and scientists are baffled by it and it might actually open the door to a new spatial era.

Is it true or is it just a buzzhype and I should rather talk about it on /x/?
>>
>>7738095

There's a reason it's called the meme drive on /sci/
>>
>>7738109
I don't often go on /sci/ Is it just called meme drive because it's a popular discussion topic and/or cause lot of shitpositng?
>>
>>7738095
It's real, just depends on when the world will take it seriously enough to put it to good use.
>>
Also, I see a lot of place where EM drive is mentionned also mention Warp field, but from what I am getting the tow are unrelated and the EM drive is just a propulsion engine. It's not very clear if it is effectively the case, as a lot of Hype article tend to make confusing clickbait intro when they somehow imply it allow to warp space too.

What's actually going on, there?
>>
>>7738120
>What's actually going on, there?

Id also like to know, but i just hope im alive to see it used
>>
Ah yes the meme drive,
#1: if it does work it requires far to much energy to get into the atmosphere to be applicable.
#2: I could have sworn this was stamped out by German scientists earlier.
#3: The only good thing I see coming out of it was when NASA accidentally made its first warp-bubble in the resonance chamber.
>>
>>7738095
it doesn't work unless you design an experiment for it that is complete shit.
>>
>>7738132
>#1: if it does work it requires far to much energy to get into the atmosphere to be applicable.
That seems like it could still be used in the void satellites and space station to keep stabilizing themselves and modify their orbit, though.
#3: The only good thing I see coming out of it was when NASA accidentally made its first warp-bubble in the resonance chamber.
Waitn fucking really?
>>
>>7738133
>unless you design an experiment for it that is complete shit.
someone with a DIY model
http://www.masinaelectrica.com/emdrive-independent-test/
was able to obtain significant results by just using an electronic balance as the control. Doesn't seem like an over-complicated experimental design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-cgVoLUJ8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbStna1-XZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbf7735o3hQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAMttfMC8PI
>>
>>7738225
Simple doesn't mean it's not complete shit, in fact it means it is complete shit because it doesn't take into account sources of error like air convection, heat dissipation and magnetic interactions. Several researchers have found anomalous thrusts in wrong directions or when the power is not even on, sometimes greater than the observed thrust in the correct direction at the correct time. So it seems sources of error cannot be distinguished from the alleged phenomenon.
>>
>>7738215
>#3: The only good thing I see coming out of it was when NASA accidentally made its first warp-bubble in the resonance chamber.
>Waitn fucking really?

They directed a laser beam into the [vacuum] chamber and it warped the beam.
>>
>>7738109
>not embracing the future of meme powered propulsion

/s4s/ alone will be able to light all the world's cities for the next millenia
>>
>>7738120
My understanding is that the EMdrive works by bouncing rays around inside a chamber in such a way that it exerts more force in one direction than in others, without expelling reaction mass (something which should be impossible according to our understanding of science). Warp is another experimental area that's being worked on, but I think it's separate.
>>
>>7738440
So what was doing that? The microwaves or x-rays or whatever?
>>
>>7738095
fake.

its been around for over 14 years.

its never going to do anything except let people shit post with it on /sci/
>>
File: 1413231865191.png (208KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
1413231865191.png
208KB, 361x691px
>>7738225
>being this much of a mouthbreathing retard
>>
>>7738095
It's pretty much pure hype. The claimed thrust is small enough, and the power involved is large enough, that there are many sources of error potentially large enough to be entirely responsible for the apparent measured thrust. The most rigorous published replication so far discovered a source of error actually *larger* than the measured thrust, which appeared when the device was measured perpendicular to the thrust axis.

The inventor's theory is also nonsense, which doesn't actually disprove the EMDrive but should certainly cast doubt on it.

If the thrust is real, we can't really say anything about the EmDrive's usefulness. There's no guarantee it would scale to usefully high thrusts or efficiencies - it's currently less powerful than an ion drive. And even if it did work, if it simply allowed you to accelerate forever for a constant power, you'd break conservation of energy as well as conservation of momentum, and the obvious ways it could behave to avoid this break fundamental principles of relativity.

In order to not break every single fundamental assumption of physics, the drive must be pushing off of *something*, even if that something isn't ordinary visible matter. Without knowing anything about the properties of this something, we can't say anything about what a real, flight-capable EmDrive would actually behave like.

The EMDrive has not been disproven yet, but I would bet against it ever revolutionizing spaceflight.
>>
>>7738440
Beyond the initial claim nothing has been shown to back it up. It takes a lot more than hearsay to rewrite GR.

You should be much more skeptical of a team which chooses the internet over proper publication.
>>
>>7738440
The people publicizing these results failed to take into account any sort of interaction with the power they were pumping into the resonance cavity and were completely ignorant of several possible mechanisms which could change the path of the beam that are mundane and well understood.
>>
File: 1345355534263.jpg (94KB, 563x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1345355534263.jpg
94KB, 563x1032px
>>7738095
I'm 99% certain they make a mistake when they measured it (the force it allegedly produce is so abysmally small it's barely measurable within good reliability)
gluing bucket to a microwave to turn it into a hyper-drive makes about as much sense as that wiring a phone to a microwave will make it a time-machine
>>
>>7738115

You speak as though it were already proven, and as though those skeptical of it (as I am) are wrong to be, or even fools to be.

I am curious: if it is later shown not to really work, and for its effect to always have been measurement error, will you, at that time, recall how certain you are now that it works and is real, and so feel some embaressment at having been certain of something and also completely wrong? Or will you change how you remember feeling about it, so that you are humbled not at all by it being proven wrong?

If I promise to write down on a piece of paper, "I firmly believe the EmDrive is total and utter bunk," and to sign my name to it, so that later if I am wrong I will have to face it for at least a moment, would you promise to do the same, recording your current strength of conviction that it is real, so that later you will have to acknowledge the magnitude of your error, should you be wrong?
>>
Graphene produces 42.5N/1m2;

>http://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.04254.pdf

This is superior to the EM Drive's propulsion, and there's no controversy about it's reality.
>>
>>7738109
Everything people don't approve of on 4chan is called a meme. Even if calling it that makes no sense
>>
>>7738109
Is this machine responsible for the increase in dank memes experienced in the current year? 2015
>>
File: 1282194212162.jpg (63KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1282194212162.jpg
63KB, 400x300px
>>7740115
>if it is later shown not to really work

If this happens, default is pic related. The Man wanted to suppress it, same as cold fusion.
>>
maybe this Blue Orb is the trick

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MvacG_nhD34
>>
>>7740115
He didn't come off like that all. Butthurt much
>>
You'd think that physicists would be more excited to analyze what's going on here, because physics has been fucking stuck for nearly a century.
>>
I thought the Alcubierre drive was the meme drive, do we have two meme drives?
>>
>>7741382
No, the Alcubierre drive functions within the laws of physics. The meme drive does not.
>>
>>7741377
Lol k.
>>
>>7741386
>laws of physics

>implying that the prevalent theories are immutable and complete

Lord kelvin, pls.
>>
BIG
RESONANT
CAVITY
THRUSTER
>>
>>7741402
/sci/ is practically kindergarden for internet IQ babbies who believe science is complete, don't challenge him it will shatter his world view
>>
>>7741382
Yes. Alcubierre is a warp drive, and EM is an impulse drive, in Star Trek terms. We are now ready to build Meme Enterprise.
>>
>>7738095
>scientists are baffled
popsci's favourite headline
>>
File: 1440019402925.jpg (92KB, 648x799px) Image search: [Google]
1440019402925.jpg
92KB, 648x799px
>>7740115
I find your response to that anon very pragmatic and reasonable.

We need to make allowance that all possibilities, even what we consider to be counter to very fundamental knowledge, might be correct. It takes imagination to let your mind play in this gray area. Imagination that is woefully missing or drilled out of our colleagues through schooling; But, by practicing this dabbling into the gray we can allow ourselves the opportunity to adapt strongly to these new positions of belief when that intriguing information is found to mesh well with other fundamentals.

That's how we can glimpse outside the box and make the large strides towards greater and stranger knowledge.
>>
>>7741545

Hello Mr. Thesaurus
>>
>>7741601
Are some of my words misused?
>>
>>7738120
Because people don't really know for certain how it works, a warp field was a hypothesis used to explain it while not breaking physics
>>
I'm vaguely interested in this, but I'm growing impatient with the lack of concrete results.

When one of these things is shown levitating itself up against gravity, then we can get excited. Until then, it's possibly pathological science.
>>
>>7740115
>>7741545
Samefag
>>
>>7741813

Well it has reproducible results, tested over many years by different teams. But nobody seems to want to take if further because it shouldn't be possible.
>>
File: Merry Christmas.png (97KB, 837x845px) Image search: [Google]
Merry Christmas.png
97KB, 837x845px
>>7741984
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.