[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tetrachromacy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

Can humans with tetrachromacy see colors beyond the visible spectrum that are alien to us?

Or is it just easier for them to analyze simple (To us) colors into more colors that we know?
>>
I can see extra colors like merzel and dulan
>>
>>7737415
The latter.
Human tetrachromats' fourth cone most commonly has a peak between the standard red and green cones on your picture.
>>
>>7737419
Sorry, i just noticed your pic is for a bird. Try this pic instead.
Human tetrachromats' fourth cone most commonly has a peak between the two right-most peaks in this pic of human cone sensitivity.
>>
File: c-cones.jpg (39KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
c-cones.jpg
39KB, 400x200px
>>7737426
Fuck, I forgot the pic. Not having a good day today
>>
>>7737419
>>7737427
This is so mindfucky to me that they can analyze color better than us despite us being able to see the same colors as them. The world must be pretty colorful for them.

So in a way, we normal people just mush the sum of the shades and highlights into one simple color, right? They're sound like living spectrographs
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-22+at+12.25.33).png (58KB, 976x827px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-22+at+12.25.33).png
58KB, 976x827px
>>7737415
Here, I guess we can go ahead and test people's visual 'IQ' here with
http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge
Post what ya get.
RIP those of you who can only see 2 colors.
>>
File: Capture.png (41KB, 972x320px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
41KB, 972x320px
>>7737441
The third one was harder for me than the other 3. Decent score I'd say.
>>
>>7737451
Definitely, that's a pretty common area for visual losses. The dark/white color scheme of the test window was starting to bug me after staring at it long enough.
>>
>>7737431
>. The world must be pretty colorful for them.
If I recall right, they are "simply" better at seeing different shades of a colour.
>>
>>7737441
seriously calling this colorIQ.

americans are really pleb tier.
>>
>>7737415
-It isn't known if the optic nerve even has the ability to carry the signal properly
-It isn't known what the brain does with it
-Language seems to affect acuity in color perception

Don't know.
>>
>>7737415
Tetrachromatics cannot see beyond the visible spectrum according to current knowledge.

There are however people who can see a little bit into IR but not into thermal IR. It can be by inheritance or by medication.

Some can see into UV, usually after cataract ioperations where new lenses are inserted. Some lenses (old types) have limited UV blocking and the retina can see UV as long as it is not filtered out (normally teh lens filters out UV).
>>
>>7737741
What does UV look like to them? What color?
Does it look, well, ultra violet?
>>
>>7737441

>Highest score for your gender and age range: 10483600
also why no average score? Fuck this site lol
>>
>>7737431
>>7737502
Sounds like tetrachromat:normal person = normal person:colour blind
>>
>>7737749
>24
I hope that's not your score, because I just moved a couple of them then clicked score and got 200.
>>
>>7737431
>despite us being able to see the same colors as them.

They're not seeing the same colors. They're seeing the same frequencies, yes, but that's not the same thing. A black and white photograph is also showing the same frequencies. But that is one dimensional (just brightness) and our colors are 3 dimensional (red, green, and blue). A tetrachromate would see 4D colors in theory. However, in human tetras two of those "dimensions" are so similar that the difference is not as dramatic as you would expect.
>>
>>7737747
>What does UV look like to them?
It looks blueish. UV stimulates the blue receptors so the eye cannot tell the difference between blue and UV.

Same with red and near IR. I can see near IR if it is reasonably strong and it looks just like a dull deep red colour. On my cheap cell phone camera it appears bright blue since the blue sensor filter admits a little IR light through.
>>
>>7737933
that is my score.
Lower score is better lol, don't worry about me
>>
>>7737699
Are you scared to take the test?
>>
Couldn't find a better thread for this but:

I understand the basics of additive colour, basically getting any colour by mixing RGB light.

But, Can I pass warm white light through a filter to get white light?
>>
>>7739414
>But, Can I pass warm white light through a filter to get white light?
Sure, just filter out excess red component of the warm white light and voila! you have (plain) white light.
>>
>>7737441
I'm pretty sure the score on this one will depend heavily on your computer screen
>>
>>7737415
>humans with tetrachromacy
they ain't none, fgt pls
>>
>>7739414

there is a reason light temperature get's it's own scale and it is defined by the heating power of the light source.

Imagine a perfectly "black" object, meaning it doesn't reflect only absorb light.

light temperature (in K) tells us how much the "Black" object heats up when radiated with a certain light.

>>7739951

it's not that easy. if you filter it you won't get 100% white, since you took something away.

you would have to lessen the red AND enhance blue and green to get to the "neutral" white of the same intensity.
>>
>>7741592
Or just lessen the excessive components to match the least present component
>>
>>7737415
It's not that they can see colors outside the visible spectrum, it's that they can better differentiate colors within the visible spectrum.

Normal eyes have three receptors with peaks at what we see as Red, Green, and Blue. These receptors respond to wide overlapping ranges of wavelenths. A yellow light (~600nm) will be picked up by both the red (~700)nm receptor and the green(~550nm) receptor because it falls in the area where the receptors overlap. Your brain interprets the red and green receptors being activated at the same time as yellow.

Your computer monitor takes advantage of this. Each pixel is produced by varying the intensity of three discrete static wavelengths output (red,green,blue). Your brain can't tell the difference between a 600nm light and two discrete lights of 700nm and 550nm. Both cases cause the red and green receptors to activate simultaneously resulting in the perception of yellow.

Someone with a fourth receptor between red and green can tell the difference between a yellow produced by a 600nm light and a "fake" produced by combining red and green.
>>
>>7737431

Most people still think that birds of prey such as hawks have extremely good vision to be able to see a mouse in a field from such high altitudes.

The reality is that it is due to their enhanced color vision.

As a mouse moves around, it dribbles. I don't think that mice have much bladder control at all. As they move about in a field or pasture, they leave trail of urine behind them. The urine fluoresces in the sunlight at a frequency that birds can see.

Thus, birds of prey don't have to see the mouse moving around -- al lthey have to do is follow the urine trail that is clearly visible to them up to the mouse.
>>
>>7741541

There has been at least one woman who has been shown to be a true tetrachromat.
>>
>>7737441

Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.