[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: qi.png (382KB, 684x426px) Image search: [Google]
qi.png
382KB, 684x426px
Explain. As someone with physics background, this really blows my mind. The femur breaks at ~1700PSI, how does this guy with any part of his body withstand 2900PSI at 8:31?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tb8bWbA678

inb4 fake, this is natgeo, these guys are supposed to be reputable right?
>>
>>7734816
Their Bodies are just well trained
>>
>>7734837
Yeah, but he's skimpy. Also, soft tissue. Other than becoming extremely calloused how do you train that?
>>
>>7734816
They should have used a repeatable machine for the bat, he hit a spot with no ribs, so more tissue to absorb the blow there, probably took in some air as well to further cushion it

The bend in the spear helps to take some of the edge off, if it was hardwood he'd be screwed, and the neck isn't too weak, 2 average people can bend some rebar with their throats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd8kaJ6Owmg
>>
prob cuz your physics is shit tier
>>
>>7734843
there's no other way. They condition themselves by sustaining a lot of small trauma for a lot of time.
>>
>>7734816
he's somehow dissipating the force to some other point than the point he is being striked at

if you want to see an example notice how wrestling swing their arms down when they get slammed onto the arena floor to maximise the area the force gets dissipated over
>>
Bone density can increase with the right imposed demands.

Runners typically have higher leg bone mass density compared to swimmer because the amount of stress they put on their legs.

Same goes for the fighter. Overtime with the right training they can increase their BMD.
>>
>>7734816
I think I can explain this: carefully controlled movements and lots of training.

Compare the guy who is swinging the bat in the two instances where he hits the CTD and the martial arts dude.

In the first instance he's not really holding back. You can see him put his hip into it even as the bat touches the dummy. Also he is very loose. Wonder why he looks more stiff in the second instance? I'll tell you. He does this so that the movement of the bat is carefully controlled by his whole body. I used to learn this at Aikido, it's called centering / grounding and it's really a way for your whole body to gain control over your movement, all the way. What does this mean? It means he can actually take some force out of the swing by stopping the rotation of his hips and torso. It slows down the arms and the swing (the 'stiffness' comes into play here).

Also notice how he's holding his left elbow beyond the point of impact. He's barely using his left arm in the swing. Feels like he's putting a brake on it. It would explain why he's flying back so far after he hits the guy. Right before the point of impact he tries to switch the direction of his force (fully applying the brakes), so after he hits the guy he shoots back. He can partially use his left leg for this and rotating his hips / torso the other way.

The victim still takes a beating, and plays a role in stopping the swing. No doubt he's got a tough stomach. But I also think the bat is already slowing down at the time of measurement.
>>
a femur is not elastic, his muscles and skin are.

he is using his muscles to distribute the blow evenly instead of having it hit a single spot.

that why he moved into it too.
>>
>>7734816
/asp/ie here. Fight science a shit.
>>
>>7735097
>distribute it
this is likely more due to the gelatinous nature of the soft tissue than any microaction by the muscle, which act on the leg, and if anything would simply amplify the stress on the leg. Holding it steady is different than what you're describing, which I don't believe happens, but we gotta wait for a good model.

>>7734933
>bone density
This is the proposed answer by medical science.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26069539
Microfracture recruit osteoblasts which will form random walks over the damage matrix and fill it in somewhat randomely. These pseudorandom fault lines form complex lines/shape structures. Due to our current ability to map in 3d and model stress fulcum etc it has become clear that these complex patterns are the optimum solution for creating strength
http://www.3dprinter.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/3d-printed-cast.jpg
http://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2015/06/15/e00093b1-d949-4020-b817-96a9a994079f/1058048cb00fa869053bf35ad67d40c6/bridge1.jpg
And nature has come across them simply by the nature of its processes - biological materials are much stronger than they 'should' be given their bases.

So to conclude my bullshit, long-term, sustained periods of microfracture and healing can lead to a much stronger material than you started with, which as >>7735097 mentioned, is because the blow is distributed througout the bone instead of a particular instance of bone - through fault lines crossed on fault lines.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.