[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career Advice: Medical Lab Tech to...?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hello /sci/entists,

Long story short I am a Medical Laboratory Technician in the U.S. Army. I've earned my ASCP MLT certification and all. No degree, but about 60 college credits and my certification.

I have about a year and a half on my current enlisted contract and I definitely want to GET OUT.

When I ETS I will be able to earn a (mostly) paid for bachelor's degree with the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill...

The only issue is that I am not quite sure what I should study for both maximum career safety [post-automation, in good and bad economic times, etc.] and monetary gain.

My MLT certification, experience and college credits could potentially lead to careers in Medical [Nursing, Physician Assistant, Pathologist's Assistant, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Bloodbanking Technologist], Sciences [Bioengineering, Biomedical Scientist, etc.] and other such careers.

What say you? Much obliged.
>>
Get your nursing degree. Reenlist as an 03/04 in the medical corps.
>>
Bump twicely.
>>
Bioengineering is useless without a masters OP
>>
Tertiary bump.
>>
Quad bump.
>>
>>7733752
Do Medical Lab Science if you enjoy the work you're doing but are trying to get out because the typical Army bullshit. I will say that there's a different kind of bullshit associated with the civilian medical field as well, so don't feel you're free of dumb shit just because you're going civilian. But, if you're wanting to go into the sciences instead, may want to do Biotechnology or Microbiology, and then later grab a Master's/PhD. Prior military service, especially in a related field, will be looked at very highly (along with undergrad research which you should do) when doing grad school, especially if you've got a competitive GPA/GRE score.
>>
>>7733989

Thanks.
>>
Bump*5
>>
Final bump...
>>
MLS here. I recommend going for a CLS position it the PA position. With both you have the best experience available to continue an education. In these fields. PA pays more if money is of importance.
>>
>>7733812

This.

I thought a Lab technician was to a scientist as a nurse was to a doctor.
>>
>>7734278

Can you elaborate on your career goals?

About how much are you making annually if I may ask?

Thanks
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.