[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SpaceX solid ground landing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 515
Thread images: 73

File: crs4_streak.jpg (65KB, 970x647px) Image search: [Google]
crs4_streak.jpg
65KB, 970x647px
So the Falcon9 scheduled to launch later today (16~ hours) will be landing on solid ground instead of a platform in the water approx 10 min after takeoff.
http://www.americaspace.com/?p=89910

Place your bets kids. Will he succeed or will it go boom?
>>
well...considering the history of SpaceX...
>>
>>7732639
Pretty much this
>>
Is it launching from Vandenberg?
>>
I predict it'll hit a bullseye where they wanted it, just much too fast, and explode on impact
>>
>>7732751
This. It won't probably take more than ten tries to succeed however.
>>
>>7732627
livestream: spacex com/webcast/
>>
>>7732639
I'm expecting a fireball, but hoping for a perfect landing.
>>
I think there's a very good chance they'll stick the landing this time.

They've tried this twice before. The first time, they ran out of hydraulic fluid for the fins, so they didn't have the fuel to land properly. The second time, the fixed the hydraulic fluid problem, but the throttle on the landing engine was sticky, but they still came very close to achieving a successful landing. They touched down but tipped over due to horizontal velocity.

Now they've had months to work on the sticky throttle problem, the only reason the last one failed, and they're going to have a bigger and more stable landing area to work with.
>>
>>7733248
How did they manage to run out of hydraulic fluid anyway? Is the fuel doing double duty as hydraulic fluid and got used up? Was there some kind of leak?
>>
Does it have a payload or is it just for landing test?
>>
>>7732627
I bet yes. They have refined the software based on the earlier attempts and have convinced the government they have a better than 50/50 chance of success. Will be watching at 01.29.
>>
>>7733321
Open-cycle hydraulics can be lighter, and potentially simpler and more reliable, than closed-cycle ones, when they only have to operate briefly. They don't need a pump that way, you can just drive it with a pressure bottle.

The engines are on a different system. They use the rocket fuel as hydraulic fluid, which can't run out as long as the rocket can still run, in the pistons that point the engines in different directions.
>>
>>7733340
I think he meant how did they miscalculate the amount of hydraulic fluid they'd need so badly.
>>
>>7733331
Payload is ORBCOMM Original Gangsta 2. 11 satellites.
>>
>>7733349
Yeah, that was pretty much what i meant. But i have no experience with anything other than closed hydraulic systems, either connected to the fuel system or with a stand-alone fluid reservoir. Yet like you said, the question still remains on how did they miscalculate the amount that badly. Too low safety margin perhaps?
>>
File: spacex-fuuuuuu.gif (41KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
spacex-fuuuuuu.gif
41KB, 600x599px
>>7732627
Considering the three-day static fire attempt, and 60 second launch window, the most probable outcome is SCRUB.
>>
>>7733377
60 seconds?
SpaceX livestream says 2.29 AM-3.00 AM, but that might just be the streaming and not the launch window?
>>
>>7733377
True. Also, nice palindromic dubs.

>>7733383
That's the show. The countdown, all the "Red Leader standing by" checks, the flight, and possibly the landing.

There is only an instantaneous launch window, because of all the holiday air traffic.

Considering the amount of fiddling they needed to do with the thing to test fire the engines, because of all the changes to the vehicle, a scrub is very likely.
>>
>>7733395
And at the second the scrub is announced somebody will start a tread here named "SpaceX BTFO! Watch Musk cry, SpaceCucks on suicidewatch" or something like that.
>>
File: Jeff_Bezos.jpg (13KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff_Bezos.jpg
13KB, 560x315px
>>7733414
>mfw
>>
File: qpid-hd-199.jpg (258KB, 1438x1080px) Image search: [Google]
qpid-hd-199.jpg
258KB, 1438x1080px
>>7733414
Im going to make that thread
>>
>>7733453
>>7733432
Looking forward to the shitstorm :p
>>
Any word on when the next launch window will be if they have a scrub?
>>
>>7733377
This. The launch will be scrubbed until deep into next week. The rocket will also fail to successfully land. If you want to see the first rocket successfully land, then you will have to wait until 2017. Sorry.
>>
>>7733477
I think they said the 22nd, so Tuesday.
>>
>>7732639
the funniest thing is that it doesn't even matter anymore.
Blue origin beat them to it.
You can say whatever you want about 'muh orbital rocket', but they got rekt.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6320219
>>
>>7733516
>Blue origin beat them to it.
Not really. What Blue Origin did is a salami-slicing "first" at best. X-15 and SpaceShipOne both went to space, and were recovered and reused. They even took passengers. The Space Shuttle boosters were recovered and reused, and those were orbital flights. Blue Origin hasn't reused its rocket yet. It remains to be seen whether it's in shape to be reused.

>the funniest thing is that it doesn't even matter anymore.
Now this is REALLY wrong. SpaceX isn't doing it for bragging rights. They want to recover their boosters so they can use them, and they want to develop more complete reuse.

Recovering a booster in good condition is worth tens of millions of dollars and weeks of factory time each time they do it. If their boosters become efficiently reusable, then they only need to make upper stages for each flight. This will dramatically increase their flight rate, without requiring a dramatic expansion of their factories.

Furthermore, they can apply this experience to the development of their next-generation all-reusable rocket, which has the potential to reduce launch costs to near propellant costs.
>>
Damn it.

Launch delayed by 24 hours to increase odds of a good landing. Source: Elon Musk's twitter account.
>>
>>7733583
it_begins.jpg
>>
>>7733560
>X-15 vs Shuttle
This is actually a rather good comparison.
Both are hugely impressive accomplishments, but have a lot of different requirements and goals.
>>
>>7733584
>>7733453
>>7733432
Ok, you may start the tread :p
>>
>>7733586
Why does no-one ever talk about the X-15?
>>
>>7733638
I dont know. Shame, really. It was like the definition of a rocket sled.
>>
>>7733638
The X-15 was just a plane that flew high and fast, to explore what it's like for a plane to fly high and fast.

When people aren't all excited about crossing arbitrary altitude numbers, it's just another test plane, of no real practical significance.

SpaceShipOne was totally overblown, and really kind of rotten, the way it won the contest by meeting the letter and not the spirit of the rules.
>>
>>7733583
Has SpayyceX ever launched one payload on time?
>>
>>7733950
I suppose they must have at least once, but half the time it's either the weather or somebody else's fault. Like when an earlier launch is delayed, or like the time when the Chair Force's downrange radar FUCKING CAUGHT FIRE.

Pic not related, SpaceX doesn't launch from there.
>>
>>7733950
"On time" is for mature launch platforms. They demoed Falcon 1, then went directly to Falcon 9 1.0. They demoed Falcon 9 1.0, then went to Falcon 9 1.1. Falcon 9 1.1 flew over a dozen times, but it was different flight by flight, as they kept changing things trying to make it reusable.

Now this "Falcon 9 Full Thrust" upgrade may actually be their first real production-model rocket that they can operate for five or ten years without major hardware changes.

If it works as intended, they should start catching up on their launch backlog.
>>
>>7733991
>half the time it's either the weather
Why don't they make rockets that aren't so susceptible to the weather?
>>
>>7734180

Because by nature rockets are susceptible to weather. Why don't people build boats that aren't susceptible to rough seas?
>>
>>7732627
We need to get something self sustaining, and get off this planet, before we can't. It's a definite possibility we could eventually expend everything and anything that would make achieving escape velocity physically possible.

It's not in the near future, but it is possible. People don't stop to imagine a world with no floating party balloons either.
>>
>>7734182
Yeah but some boats are better in rough seas than others. It seems like all rockets are left weak against weather.
>>
>>7734180
Same reason why there haven't been any good reusable rockets yet: because it would be hard and expensive to develop.

I believe I heard that one of SpaceX's goals for their next-generation rocket, in addition to being fully reusable and running on cheaper consumables, is that it should work in nearly any weather.
>>
Ya know, having set my alarm for 01.15am, I expect a little better info that the launch has been scrubbed than having to come to /sci for details AFTER visiting:-
spacex com/webcast
orbcomm com
americaspace (live launch)
Spacex com homepage.

Lazy fuckers cant keep the public informed except via musks twitter? Thank god for /sci
>>
One more delay and I swear I will fucking go so mad I will spontaneously combust
>>
So why don't they try landing the second stage as well as the first stage.
>>
It'll go boom. I honestly can't fathom the absurdity of their approach.

From what I can find, it seems like the minimum thrust of the Merlin is more than three times the dry mass of the Falcon 9's first stage... can anyone confirm? It would explain their bat-out-of-hell landing approaches. It just seems utterly ludicrous trying to vertical-land a towering rocket (on-end) when you can't even reduce thrust enough to maintain a hover.
>>
>>7734285
Write an email to SpaceX about it. Hundreds of rocket scientists will thank you you just saved them hundreds of thousand hours of work. Maybe you even could get a job there.
>>
>>7734285
They've proven the viability of their "hoverslam" (thrust-to-weight > 1) landing with the F9Rdev test vehicle.

There's not really any reason why it can't be done. It's just that they only get one chance. The computer has to stick the landing.

They've only failed once attempting this, and that was because the throttle was sticking, so they didn't have fine control of thrust.

This is how the classic arcade game Lunar Lander played. Thrust-to-weight was greater than one, and it made the landing challenging, but kids still did it.
>>
>>7734332
>>7734285
The thing is, as well, that this minimizes the propellant needed for the touchdown. The more thrust you use, the less gravity losses you suffer.
>>
>2015
>America trying to figure out how to launch rockets
Jesus you guys need to stop spending on MERUCA military and bailing out banks. You guys forgot the secret to rocket engineering the German taught you in the 50s.
The future of space engineering belong to India and China.
>>
>>7734194
The solution to rough weather conditions for a rocket is to make a really, really, fucking huge rocket. That would mean higher fuel costs, higher maintenance costs, and they'd need to do more R&D beyond what they've already put into the program. Frankly, it's just not economically viable given current rocket technology that's available.
>>
>>7734430
If first stage landing will prove to be effective, Murica will leave humanity behind. By the time the Chinese make their first manned lunar landing, Murica will be mining fucking asteroids.
>>
>>7734443
That's not the only solution. There are a number of things that would increase weather tolerance:
- slow the ascent, accepting more gravity losses but reducing airspeed
- make the skin thicker and tougher, making it more resistant to rain and hail impacts
- increase the structural strength relative to loads under ideal conditions
- make the rocket thicker relative to its length, to reduce bending forces

All of this is expensive. It makes more sense to make that investment on a reusable vehicle.
>>
>>7734452
China already landed on the moon with a drone. A manned mission is useless for the Chinese. They're capable of doing the same thing as the Americans. They're building their own space station for scientific and defense purposes. Also mining asteroids is already possible the problem is the WTO. A lot of countries who are apart of the WTO have to obliged with the anti-dumping clause of the WTO treaty.
>>
>>7734496
>slow the ascent, accepting more gravity losses but reducing airspeed
This in turn means less efficient use of fuel. Which means using more fuel, which means a larger fuel tank, which means a bigger rocket.
>make the skin thicker and tougher, making it more resistant to rain and hail impacts
Using currently developed materials, this means more weight. Which means using more fuel, which means a larger fuel tank, which means a bigger rocket.
>increase the structural strength relative to loads under ideal conditions
To do that means more structural reinforcement, which will mean more weight. Which means using more fuel, which means a larger fuel tank, which means a bigger rocket.
>make the rocket thicker relative to its length, to reduce bending forces
Although this maybe the best solution as you can still have relatively low drag, this would still effect the aerodynamics of the craft. Which means using more fuel, which means a larger fuel tank, which means a bigger rocket.

>All of this is expensive. It makes more sense to make that investment on a reusable vehicle.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but these are solutions for reusable rocket technology that is still under development. You're trying to cover the problems of second or third generation reusable rocket technology when we're still trying to prove that the first generation is a viable system.
>>
Hey guys, femanon here... Serious question, why doesn't this thing just land on sand? It's a lot softer.
>>
>>7734511
>which means a larger fuel tank, which means a bigger rocket.
or a smaller payload. A lot of the stuff that gets launched into space weighs significantly less than their rocket's maximum payload.
>>
>>7734270
They will in due time. The financial gains from doing so aren't as big as the gains from reusing the first stage. Recovering the second stages should be much easier anyway once they master landing the first stages.
>>
>>7734593
Sand generally isn't very friendly to precision low tolerance stuff.
>>
>>7734593
>or a smaller payload
...and as a result you've caused the cost per pound of cargo to increase.

The economic and engineering trade offs have to come from somewhere. There won't be any perfect system any time soon, so until then SpaceX will remain an economical R&D corporation that limps by while giving valuable Aerospace technology to the world.
>>
>>7734180
Even if they magically made more resistant, you'd still have delays because they'd still want to launch in the clearest conditions possible. Why risk tens of millions of dollars when you could wait 2 days?
>>
>>7734315
>Hundreds of rocket scientists will thank you you just saved them hundreds of thousand hours of work.
Developing an engine with a wider throttle range would be a shitload MORE work, but it would also make the landing a hell of a lot more controllable.
>>7734332
>They've proven the viability of their "hoverslam" (thrust-to-weight > 1) landing with the F9Rdev test vehicle.
Yes, but with a much lower acceleration (the Grasshopper is obviously heavy enough to hover; F9's first stage is not) and under controlled testing conditions. They ARE zero for two in real-world conditions.
>There's not really any reason why it can't be done.
I never said it can't be done, I'm just saying that it's a hell of a lot trickier and less forgiving. Especially with something as top-heavy and tippy as the Falcon 9.
>It's just that they only get one chance.
Well... if you had enough fuel you COULD fly off a bit, do a fucking loop like THAAD does to bleed off energy and come back down for another try....
>They've only failed once attempting this
Twice. The second attempt touched down, but not slow and level enough to keep it from falling over seconds later.
>This is how the classic arcade game Lunar Lander played. Thrust-to-weight was greater than one, and it made the landing challenging, but kids still did it.
Hardly. With Lunar Lander (and many pressure-fed, hypergolic thrusters, for that matter), the engine could be fired on a duty-cycle approximating full, 0-100% throttleability. With the Merlin 1, this isn't an option. Also, with a Falcon 9 you don't get to start over again just by inserting another quarter.
>>7734339
I understand that, but if they've paid this much penalty for their flyback and powered landing, propellant for fifteen more seconds of hovering is peanuts in comparison (especially when the alternative is a landing so hairy and unmanageable that the majority of your rockets end up exploding and it's all for naught).
>>7734443
>>7734496
ICBMs are all-weather...
>>
>>7734722
ICBM's don't go to orbit and don't give a shit about efficiency

Couldn't you just do something with the nozzle to allow it to bleed out thrust sideways
>>
File: R-7 family.png (22KB, 640x531px) Image search: [Google]
R-7 family.png
22KB, 640x531px
>>7734762
>ICBM's don't go to orbit
They get damn close. The most successful rocket still in use was based directly on an ICBM.
>and don't give a shit about efficiency
The hell they don't.

>Couldn't you just do something with the nozzle to allow it to bleed out thrust sideways
Maybe. It'd obviously be inefficient, but hey, if it gets the job done...
>>
>>7734722
>>They've proven the viability of their "hoverslam" (thrust-to-weight > 1) landing with the F9Rdev test vehicle.
>Yes, but with a much lower acceleration (the Grasshopper is obviously heavy enough to hover; F9's first stage is not) and under controlled testing conditions.
The F9Rdev WAS a F9 first stage, except that it had fewer engines. An F9 first stage is heavy enough to hover as long as it has a sufficient load of fuel.

As for "controlled testing conditions", they were actually flying in the real outdoors. The conditions did differ from a real flyback, because the landing engine hadn't just been put through a real launch and flyback, but the actual landing conditions themselves weren't significantly different.

>They ARE zero for two in real-world conditions.
They are zero for one in real-world conditions. In the first attempt, they didn't get a real chance to attempt a real propulsive landing because they were too far off target when they started the landing burn, due to the grid fins failing.

...and in their second attempt, they had a hardware failure in the landing engine. The throttle was sticky. It's a minor miracle they came as close as they did to a safe touchdown under those conditions. It's not clear that having a deeper-throttling engine would have helped.

>if they've paid this much penalty for their flyback and powered landing, propellant for fifteen more seconds of hovering is peanuts in comparison
The penalty for flyback is largely proportional to the mass prior to the landing burn. That's the mass that you have to buy the flyback delta-V for.

A reserve for 15 seconds of hovering adds 150 m/s of delta-V. That, by itself, would increase the flyback cost about 5-10%. Then you have to add the cost of the deep-throttling rocket engine itself. That's not free either. Deep throttling at sea level isn't an easy trick for a rocket.

Once you start adding costs like this, where do you stop?
>>
>>7735182
>Once you start adding costs like this, where do you stop?
To expand on this, SpaceX is clearly aiming for the minimum cost system that enables reliable recovery and rapid reuse.

Because they're evolving from an expendable system, they can shoot directly for maximum efficiency, and tolerate losses along the way.

Blue Origin, on the other hand, planned from the beginning to only make reusable vehicles. Their business case doesn't close for an expendable rocket. You can see that their hardware dedicated to reusability is much more elaborate and costly in terms of mass.

If both SpaceX and Blue Origin achieve rapid reusability, SpaceX's minimalist approach will give them higher efficiency. For instance, SpaceX is about to attempt flyback to launch site, while Blue Origin's plan for their orbital booster is downrange landing. It may be more difficult for Blue Origin to evolve their complex approach toward greater efficiency than for SpaceX to evolve their simple one toward greater reliability.
>>
>>7734780
also thanks to the delay, Russia managed to launch their upgraded Progress-MS cargo vessel on a modernized Soyuz-2.1a. On time and all nominal, of course.
>>
File: Elon FULL THRUST.gif (26KB, 405x366px) Image search: [Google]
Elon FULL THRUST.gif
26KB, 405x366px
>>7734138
>"Falcon 9 Full Thrust" upgrade
>>
>>7735381
>thanks to the delay
How is that "thanks to the delay"?
>>
File: NewShepard-vs-Falcon9.jpg (80KB, 601x1299px) Image search: [Google]
NewShepard-vs-Falcon9.jpg
80KB, 601x1299px
>>7733516
apples and oranges. New Shepard is a tiny thing by comparison, 10x less robust, designed for a 10x easier task.
>>
>>7735397
thanks to the delay they got to launch first, that's all.
>>
Musk should play Kerbal Space Program a bit so he can practice without wrecking millions of dollars of hardware.
>>
>>7735409
why play videogames when you have enough money to do it for real?
>>
>>7734585
really not that fun shitposting on /sci/, is it?
>>
>>7734585
Water is a better option and impacting on sand could cause it to morph into glass, making everything more dangerous. I mean that's mybbest guess.

If we want to return on land, we might as well do it softly on a pad or airstrip.
>>
>>7734585
Serious question, why don't you just post tits or gtfo?
>>
They should build a big pool, fill it with heat resistant foam balls and land all the rockets there.

They can cut the engine off 10 meters high and just let it fall down in the pool, then use a big crane to lift it out.
>>
File: revvo.jpg (34KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
revvo.jpg
34KB, 280x280px
>>7735897
Good idea. Or they could stick 4 of these on it and land horizontally .

Launch when?
>>
File: BJw3X87.jpg (149KB, 1000x933px) Image search: [Google]
BJw3X87.jpg
149KB, 1000x933px
I think they can land it, but isn't the bigger problem the reliability of a reused booster?

How many times can a rocket engine be lit, how many times can the stage experience atmospheric turbulence, before it loses its initial structural integrity and just becomes a gamble rocket?
>>
>>7735938

Horizontal landing is difficult, requires a long runway and wings.

With foam ball pool all you need to do is slow down above the pool and cut the engines.
>>
>>7736020
>fly rocket to above pool
>foam balls everywhere
lol
>>
Just a massive pile of old matresses then. They are cigarette burn resistant so wont catch fire
>>
File: relax.jpg (123KB, 654x639px) Image search: [Google]
relax.jpg
123KB, 654x639px
everybody relax its 3hours till launch
>>
File: 1450636321044.png (128KB, 604x493px) Image search: [Google]
1450636321044.png
128KB, 604x493px
>>7736073
"Launch"
>>
Good luck SpaceX! I really hope they will succeed this time
>>
File: happening.webm (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
happening.webm
2MB, 800x450px
>>
>>7732627
what a waste of tax-payers money. they should dissolve nasa asap.
>>
File: fh3.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fh3.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>7736128
This is a fully commercial launch, no taxes used. Also, this launch has nothing to do with NASA.

>American education
>>
>>7736128
That's right, we need more welfare :^)
>>
Livestreams here bros:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2015/12/20/falcon-9-orbcomm-2-mission-status-center/

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bTbVbe4e4

T-90 MIN
>>
LAUNCH AND FIRST-STAGE LANDING
Hour/Min Events
00:01 Max Q (moment of peak mechanical stress on the rocket)
00:02:20 1st stage engine shutdown/main engine cutoff (MECO)
00:02:24 1st and 2nd stages separate
00:02:35 2nd stage engine starts
00:03 Fairing deployment 00:04 1st stage boostback burn
00:08 1st stage re-entry burn
00:10 2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO)
00:10 1st stage landing
00:15 ORBCOMM satellites begin deployment
00:20 ORBCOMM satellites end deployment
00:26 1st satellite completes antenna & solar array deployment & starts transmitting
00:31 All satellites complete antenna & solar array deployment & start transmitting
>>
>>7736128
>shitposting on sci
please go back to /b/ until you are at least 18
>>
who /peanuts/ here?
>>
So how much would it cost to be buried on the moon?
>>
File: Lea_Seydoux.jpg (136KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Lea_Seydoux.jpg
136KB, 600x900px
>24 hours later

I'm back again - Is it happening yet?
>>
So the launch is in 90 minutes?
Lame
>>
File: 4tjcdRM.jpg (443KB, 3000x1550px) Image search: [Google]
4tjcdRM.jpg
443KB, 3000x1550px
One hour boys and girls!
>>
>>7736286
Is that the lucky intern who gets to stand there and guide it in using two paddles and some wild gesturing?
>>
>>7736293
It's Elon, he is ushering a new age.
>>
>>7736295
"Billionaire space enthusiast killed by badly placed rocket" would make one hell of a headline.:p
>>
>>7736296
He will rise 3 days later in Christmas
>>
File: 1279635389905.png (181KB, 428x510px) Image search: [Google]
1279635389905.png
181KB, 428x510px
>>7736293
>>
File: sep1.webm (379KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
sep1.webm
379KB, 600x338px
>>
>>7736305
>dem RCS thrusters
>>
File: spx6.webm (375KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spx6.webm
375KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>7736305
good luck stage 1
>>
>>7735394
saved
>>
how long till kick off
>>
any word on launch probability?
>>
>>7736326
80% go on weather
>>
File: hold hold hold.gif (42KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
hold hold hold.gif
42KB, 600x599px
>>7733377
>pic
a little something extra makes it better
>>
>>7736321
about a half hour
>>
File: wut-1370696627769.jpg (54KB, 720x557px) Image search: [Google]
wut-1370696627769.jpg
54KB, 720x557px
>>7732735
>Vandenberg
>>
It's live

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/
>>
Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Calling Elon Musk’s SpaceX Dreams a “Delusion”.
http://www.profitconfidential.com/news/neil-degrasse-tyson-is-calling-elon-musks-spacex-dreams-a-delusion/

What do you say to him?
>>
>>7736305
that's the second stage exhaust being dispersed by the first stage, right?
god that's pretty
>>
>>7736343
That statist cunt
>>
>http://www.spacex.com/webcast/
that funky space music
>>
File: spacex-1337416914001.jpg (289KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spacex-1337416914001.jpg
289KB, 1920x1080px
we live now
>>
>>7736343
Le Black Science guy is just a meme.
>>
inb4 it blows up again and Musk kills himself
>>
X marks the spot
>>
>>7736347
Dafaq? This guy looks like those reporters you see in comedy movies.
>>
File: t2ghC.jpg (142KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
t2ghC.jpg
142KB, 1024x768px
spacex or nasa stream?
decisions, decisons...
>>
>>7736354
looks somewhere between Michael Palin and Eric Idle from Python
>>
It begins
>>
>>7736358
No NASA stream, this is a private launch.

Go to Spacex.com, it's the fastest stream.
>>
ha ha the opening card said december 20
>>
>black woman

DROPPED
>>
>anomaly

kekekek
>>
>John Assburgers
>>
>>7736136
literal autism.
>>
>>7736358
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5bTbVbe4e4
>>
>>7736367
>>>/pol/
>>
So what's the intended orbit for these Orbcomm satellites? I am guessing geosynchronous, or else how is the first stage gonna land back in the same spot, not in the middle of the ocean?
>>
>>7736369
Now its a "mishap"
>>
>>7736379
It boosts back
>>
>>7736379

>he thinks its going to work
>>
Why do they keep saying space sex?
>>
>>7736380
That's what it was called from the beginning and that's the official term the FAA uses.
>>
>>7736379
500 miles LEO (you don't launch 11 satellites at the same time to GEO/GTO, ha ha)

And the first stage just needs to boost back home, it loses a LOT of weight boosting the rest of the rocket. It's only the FH center stage that really needs the barge.

They're also going to test a second stage engine restart in preparation for the next launch, which _is_ to GTO/GEO.
>>
>>7736384
You really think Elon started space x to start a mars colony? Of course not. He started it to get mad green skinned alien space babe pussy.
>>
>>7736377
YEA
RIGHT
YEA
thanks for the commentary
>>
>all these normie faggots presenting the factory
I want them to die tbqh.
>>
File: dubs-1302394936344.jpg (47KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
dubs-1302394936344.jpg
47KB, 300x300px
>>7736377
Nice palindrome.

>>7736388
Wait, I thought he was going to make anime catgirls real?
>>
>>7736391
I also wish SpaceX was solely run by Elon. These people are not worthy of him.
>>
>>7736347
who is this guy
>>
>TALKING TO VIEWERS AS IF THEY'RE KIDS
>PRETENDING SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT
>LITERALLY FAILING AT HER JOB, WHICH IS TO SPEAK PROPERLY

PR is disgusting.
PR of interesting things that's dumbed down for normies is just insufferable.
>>
only fat women allowed at spacex
>>
"secret 10th engine"

Wow SpaceX PR, wow.
>>
>>7736400
that blonde chick was fat in the right places
>>
File: 1416179176534s.jpg (3KB, 120x125px) Image search: [Google]
1416179176534s.jpg
3KB, 120x125px
>Still a go
>>
>>7736402
I know right? Who would have guessed that a rocket's upper stage would have an engine?
>>
File: struts-QfDMo4n.jpg (228KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
struts-QfDMo4n.jpg
228KB, 1280x720px
I hope they put in enough struts this time!
>>
bit nervous desu
>>
"i dont know why they are cheering"
Fucking normies hosting this shit
>>
Ugh, why can't classy NASA be covering the launch.
>>
These 2 faggots are annoying

Not surprising since their article was so shit
>>
>>7736409
what the actual fuck

If you need that many boosters/fuel, you're doing it wrong m80
>>
2 MINS HYPEEE
>>
File: 1440321794659.png (429KB, 619x706px) Image search: [Google]
1440321794659.png
429KB, 619x706px
>MUH MARS MARS MARS

>DID I MENTION MARS
>>
>>7736415
These are the guys that wrote that "wait, but why" article aren't they?
>>
Where is that comfy nasa launch guy with his smooth voice.
>>
STILL A GO
>>
>>7736415
They didn't know because they were too busy sprouting popsic PR Buzzwords to actually pay attention to the rocket.
>>
>>7736423
Not a NASA launch sorry
>>
30 SECONDS
>>
Godspeed Falcon 9.
>>
Finally we get some raw rocket video footage. THIS IS WHY WE'RE WATCHING ELON. NOT THOSE POPSCI PR BUZZ KIDS.
>>
LIFTOFF
>>
LIFTOFF
>>
File: elon-1338032586509.gif (186KB, 400x307px) Image search: [Google]
elon-1338032586509.gif
186KB, 400x307px
>>
Going well so far
>>
Jesus Fucking Christ. Look at Space X career website. They have over 100 engineering opening. All those jobs need a master degree and 5+ years experience.
>>
GOOOOO
>>
Max Q passed
>>
File: elon-1349658492957.jpg (123KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
elon-1349658492957.jpg
123KB, 683x1024px
All right, now land this fucking can.
>>
Stage 1 is starting flyback!
>>
AMERICLAPS
>>
>>7736438
it's not like they're doing rocket science
>>
Firecracker technology
Boys love it
>>
now for the important part
hype
>>
Now I just want their lander to crash desu.
>>
File: america-1444801166333.jpg (265KB, 635x620px) Image search: [Google]
america-1444801166333.jpg
265KB, 635x620px
MURRICA
>>
>>7736438
I've played Kerbal Space Program for 4 1/2 years. That counts as experience right?
>>
>>7736445
I see what you did there.
>>
>>7736449
At least this time they won't lose it in the ocean.

One way or another they're getting their fucking rocket back.
>>
>>7736452
Counts as like... double experience.
>>
GO SPACEX
FUCK ULA
>>
God damn it not these three fuckers again.
>>
Kek as much as i shit on them i feel great so far
>>
>>7736457
ikr?
>>
I really hope it crashes...

FIRECRACKERS NAWW
>>
holy fuck just put on some nice music why are these fuckers talking
>>
>>7736461
Yeah, seriously. The people watching this don't need this shit explained.
>>
BLOW UP
L
O
W
U
P
>>
ITS HAPPENING
>>
>>7736445
they prefer rocket engineering
paper tigers are in ample supply
>>
Where do they find these people.
>>
File: Hey!That'sPrettyGood.jpg (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hey!That'sPrettyGood.jpg
73KB, 1920x1080px
>>7736462
This
>>
landing soon
a
n
d
i
n
g

s
o
o
n
>>
>>7736462
>fucking normies REEEEEEEEEEE get out of my clubhouse
>>
THEY FUCKING DID IT
>>
LANDED!
>>
OH BABY
IT LANDED
T

L
A
N
D
E
D
>>
THEY DID IT, THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN!
THEY FUCKING DID IT
>>
THE MADMEN
>>
File: 1255161811922.gif (342KB, 153x113px) Image search: [Google]
1255161811922.gif
342KB, 153x113px
>>
File: elon-sw0qvj2q5z1icxle2fkm.jpg (79KB, 636x477px) Image search: [Google]
elon-sw0qvj2q5z1icxle2fkm.jpg
79KB, 636x477px
And there ya go.
>>
DAT LANDING
>>
ALL YOU CLOSED MINDED NIGGERS LOOK AND WEEP
>>
HOLY
FUCKING
SHIT
>>
THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN
>>
oh my god
>>
mom get the camera
>>
NASA BTFO
>>
HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT

TRUMP DID IT
>>
ELON IS HAPPY MAN
>>
Holy shit they did it
>>
Jeff Bezos & Blue Origin just got BTFO
>>
File: A0RkUBrCQAAPltD[1].jpg (143KB, 482x800px) Image search: [Google]
A0RkUBrCQAAPltD[1].jpg
143KB, 482x800px
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
>>
im deying
>>
File: 1442450053464.jpg (45KB, 946x674px) Image search: [Google]
1442450053464.jpg
45KB, 946x674px
>>
USA USA USA
>>
U S A
S A U
A U S

>that guy who yelled HOLY SHIT WE FUCKING DID IT
>>
Hey Blue Origin, wanna try some HORIZONTAL velocity on that trick of yours?
>>
USA USA USA
>>
wow that's it? What the fuck was the point of that?
>>
N A S A
A
S
A

B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>7736498
>ULA BTFO
>>
File: 1442444752389.png (16KB, 331x286px) Image search: [Google]
1442444752389.png
16KB, 331x286px
USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
>>
THEY DID IT THE FALCON HAS LANDED
>>
File: 1270785466658.png (231KB, 425x460px) Image search: [Google]
1270785466658.png
231KB, 425x460px
WOOOOO
>>
>>7736498
>>>/sci/
>>
USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
>>
File: nasa-1414787954276.jpg (402KB, 1684x1418px) Image search: [Google]
nasa-1414787954276.jpg
402KB, 1684x1418px
In Soviet Russia, first stage lands YOU!
>>
I AM SO FUCKING HAPPY
>>
>they managed to land a suborbital rocket

>someone did this last week before them

>they end their event in a nationalistic outburst accompanied with 2 gay men talking shit

never change america.
>>
File: 1450747812813 - Copy.gif (63KB, 400x307px) Image search: [Google]
1450747812813 - Copy.gif
63KB, 400x307px
>>
HOLY FUCK ELON

GOOD SHIT MAN
>>
File: CONTRARIANISM.jpg (88KB, 1865x479px) Image search: [Google]
CONTRARIANISM.jpg
88KB, 1865x479px
>>7734285

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING NOW FUCKHEAD
>>
JEFF BEZOS STATUS: BTFO'd
>>
How does Elon win so much?
>>
Oh jesus I'm crying

I'm crying
>>
File: spacex-1337417192143.jpg (19KB, 519x92px) Image search: [Google]
spacex-1337417192143.jpg
19KB, 519x92px
>>7736397
>>
THEY DID IT! USA USA USA USA
>>
File: 1423190301738.jpg (116KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
1423190301738.jpg
116KB, 800x578px
>Tfw you live nearby and watched/heard it live
>>
>>7736508
Stay mad senpai
>>
>>7736508
get the fuck out of here bezos with your shitty suborbital dinky rocket

this is orbital spaceflight, not some fireworks rockety hop
>>
>lions weigh 2000 kgs
wtf

> In general, fully grown male lions weigh in at around 420 pounds

??
>>
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
USA
>USA
>>
OH SHIT SOMETHING JUST FLEW AWAY FROM THE ROCKET SOMETHING IS WRONG
>>
Shieeeee. Spaceflight for everyone soon.
>>
>>7736518

[] Not envious
[X] Envious
>>
first satellite deployed
God bless the United States of America
>>
>>7736508
>small scale tiny dildo-shaped rocket
>relevant
>>
>even giving a shit when we have the meme drive instead
>>
>>7736508
KILL YOURSELF ULA
MARS 2030
>>
File: babby-1366416360808.jpg (122KB, 385x383px) Image search: [Google]
babby-1366416360808.jpg
122KB, 385x383px
>>7736524
It's having babbies.
>>
thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYPN-1Yjt0
>>
>>7736508
>they managed to land a suborbital rocket
>someone did this last week before them

Don't be obtuse, you know exactly how these were different.

>they end their event in a nationalistic outburst accompanied with 2 gay men talking shit

Shhhhh. Only dreams now.
>>
>>7736527
Second one deployed
>>
kek get ready to let your space program being cucked by big businesses amerilards
>>
>>7736529
Even if it does live up to the meme, the meme drive can't get you into orbit.
>>
UKfag here, well done USA. The future of space travel just changed. I got shivers down my spine. This is big.
>>
File: CWyy1DyU4AEfUad (1).png (219KB, 851x478px) Image search: [Google]
CWyy1DyU4AEfUad (1).png
219KB, 851x478px
IT HAPPENED GUYS
>>
>>7736533
>not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZt45PEbSk
>>
File: 1344178275353.png (447KB, 498x585px) Image search: [Google]
1344178275353.png
447KB, 498x585px
>Americlaps

I thought this was just a meme

Does SpaceX feed their staff amphetemines?
>>
>>7736539
Is it really that big? I doubt things will change that much.
>>
Wow that was amazing. Elon Musk is a god.
>>
>>7736542
They only made fucking history tonight after not flying for half a year after their first major failure
>>
>>7736541
>>7736533
Sorry wrong one, the music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-paa3wwGWww
>>
Russians on suicide watch
>>
>>7736543
Reducing the cost of space flight significantly will change everything.
>>
>>7736543
>$10 million orbital rockets reusable for the first time ever
>Nothing will change
>>
>going to de-orbit the second stage
So the engine restart test is with a de-orbit?
>>
Did anyone make a webm of the first stage landing?

I just want to watch it happen again and again and again... that was fucking epic
>>
>>7736543
Imagine, every time you order something from Amazon, the FedEx truck that delivers it parks outside your house and never leaves. They just pile up out there and FedEx has to go make another fucking truck for the next time.

How do you not think recovering rockets is useful? They don't grow on trees.
>>
>>7736551
yep!
somewhere near the aussies.
>>
>>7736536
How the fuck do you equate SpaceX with 'big buisiness'
>>
All payloads deployed!
>>
Well already I have a suggestion about the landing.

MOAR SPOTLIGHTS ON THE PAD
>>
>>7736558
It's good!
>>
>>7736550
Was it not reusable if they had it land in the ocean?
>>
Didn't some lesser space company do this exact thing a month or so ago?
>>
>Americans celebrating this accomplishment as if they did on themselves.
>The company is run by an immigrant from Europe
EUROPE BTFO AMERICA.
>>
>>7736543
A private company just successfully launched and landed $10 mil rockets. NASA usually had them launch at 30-40x the price.

It's a game changer
>>
>>7736559
Anon we're trying to save money here, that would cost more electricity
>>
>>7736561
The ocean landings were on a barge, not "in the ocean". If it gets wet it's fucked.
>>
File: 1350245885752.jpg (36KB, 426x341px) Image search: [Google]
1350245885752.jpg
36KB, 426x341px
>>7736553
>webm of the first stage landing

It comes down so fast

>mfw
>>
>>7736563
Not at that speed and engines as powerful
>>
>>7736563
no, that was a sub-orbital launch

this spacex launch was an orbital launch, there is a very big difference
>>
File: 1450748983404.webm (452KB, 944x868px) Image search: [Google]
1450748983404.webm
452KB, 944x868px
>>7736553
>>
File: 1287336814630.jpg (49KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1287336814630.jpg
49KB, 320x240px
RUSSIA BTFO
ULA BTFO
>>
I work for the NASA Commercial Crew Program (believe me or don't, idgaf and I will not doxx myself) and we are very, very proud of these arrogant fags. :')
>>
>>7736564
Musk is from South Africa but all of his workers are from America.
>>
Fuck, I missed it.

Footage where?
>>
>>7736564
>europe

South afrika
>>
>USA lands on Moon, Mars and now Earth
holy shit yurocucks step it up
>>
eleven satellites launched, booster landed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBXPeSHtnY
>>
>>7736564
fuck off. USA USA USA
>>
>>7736556
???
Will I be able to see it from Brisbane?
>>
>>7736564
So Africa is Europe now?
>>
I am so excited and satisfied.
I think I'll get even more drunk and play KSP to celebrate.
>>
>>7736575
http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/21/space-x-cape-canaveral-landing/

you should be able to watch it again
>>
>>7736563
Nope.

No cargo, no downrange speed, just go up, touch the sky, come back down. It was basically the same as SpaceX's Grasshoper tests, only higher.

This thing turns around and lands with engines that can't even throttle to less than three times what it takes to hover. It literally has to slow itself down to reach zero velocity at the same time it touches the ground. This is called a "suicide burn".
>>
>>7736581
no but europe is africa
>>
>>7736567
Well like what if we just took one of them valleys somewhere on earth and filled it with pillows to cushion the blow so it doesn't have to be so precise?
>>
>>7736564
Musk is an american citizen

America is a nation of white immigrants

fuck off

>>7736565
You mean NASA, ULA, and literally everyone else
>>
>>7733506
rekt
>>
>>7736572
you forgot
ARIANE BTFO
>>
So basically you can launch satellites more cheaply? How is that going to change anything? We already have thousands of those things up there right? Just seems like american patriotism to hype up nothing much at all.
>>
>>7736564
It's not our fault germany drove einstein out
>>
Do we know how close they got to the centre of the landing pad? It would be a nice finisher if they have hit it dead on.
>>
>>7736563
yes, but they pretend it wasn't real, shut their ears and chant "usa"
>>
>>7736592
>Weak bait
>Ignorant European

How 'bout both.
>>
>>7736592
They'd launch people on the same rocket, or could

Supplies

Space stations

Can be scaled up to even larger cargo
>>
>>7736592
yes the only things that ever go into space are satellites. Retatd
>>
>>7736592
You are dumb. So very dumb. Or just a troll.
>>
will they actually reuse landed stage?
>>
>>7736597
Or realize that what Blue Origin did and what Space-X just did are on two entirely different levels. If rockets were racecars Jeff Bezos would be playing with go-karts. Elon Musk is doing Formula 1.
>>
File: JDGCXrk.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JDGCXrk.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>7736571
>>
>>7736571 >>7736571
>>7736571 >>7736571

THANK YOU BASED ANON <333
>>
File: MERICA_bf64.gif (2MB, 400x244px) Image search: [Google]
MERICA_bf64.gif
2MB, 400x244px
So much euroshit asshurt, it feels so good.
>>
>>7736537
memedrive = $$$
$$$ = engineers + resources
engineers + resources = orbit
ergo
memedrive = orbit
>>
>>7736599
But in the end space stations are useless, no? There is no point in this whole endeavour and they should have used this money to develop green technologies instead.
>>7736598
I'm canadian asshole.
>>
>>7736604
It's the difference between a hop and jumping over a huge river, going back, then landing after carrying 1000 pounds ten miles up
>>
>>7736586
It's basically an empty soda can coming down real fast. It has to land precisely or it will get dented and maybe collapse and fall over.
>>
>>7732627
YEEEEA
>>
>>7736609
A FUCKING LEAF
>>
>>7736540
I cried.
They did it.
I wish I was there to see it live, but on stream was good as well.
This feels so good.
>>
>>7736604

Yeah, sure.
Keep telling this to yourself.

Also ignore the fact that refurbishing the booster and rating it for a new launch costs almost as much as making a new one.
Not to mention that their lifetime won't be over 3 launches.
>>
>>7736564
He is actually African, Africans finally achieve something in science and Americans want to hog the limelight as usual. South Africa should declare today a public holiday.
>>
>>7736592
Cheaper launches mean that things which used to be too expensive for a launch become possible, thus creating the need for more launches.
>>
>>7736618
sure m8, they are just doing this for shit and giggles
>>
File: elon's eternal laughter.jpg (138KB, 1324x866px) Image search: [Google]
elon's eternal laughter.jpg
138KB, 1324x866px
>>
>>7736614
they fucking did it, the absolute madmen!
>>
File: 1443408736232.gif (1MB, 252x202px) Image search: [Google]
1443408736232.gif
1MB, 252x202px
>>7733506
>>
>>7736608
Meme drive doesn't have the raw power needed for a launch, it's for after you already get up.
>>
>>7736578
Is it weird that I'm aroused right now?
>>
Would it not be possible to transport cargo ultra quickly using this technology to the other side of the world?

Take it easy with me, I'm ignorant.
>>
>>7736592
>launch cost reduction by over 90%
>HOW IS THAT GUNNA CHANGE ANYTHING
>>
>>7736621
>they are just doing this for shit and giggles
I wish more people here realized this. Not just about this rocket launch, but just about everything /sci/ shits on.

We're going to have to face it, people way smarter than us think these things are good ideas and can get the money to try them. There's probably something to it that a bunch of basement-dwelling misanthropes arguing over the internet can't see.
>>
>>7736625
Bullshit. Free energy is free energy, bud.
>>
>>7736618
Only cause its never been done before. Spacex's stated goal is to be able to have the rocket ready to fly again in a day eventually.
>>
>>7736628
Maybe down the road, but it would still cost millions of dollars.
>>
>>7736628
You could, but it would be very, very expensive.
>>
>>7736618
If that were true than SpaceX wouldn't have bothered doing this. You are just butthurt and want to see them fail. I don't understand this hostile mindset, How does it hurt you if a company tries to do something a different way? Why must you shout them down? If you want to enforce dogma then fuck off tot he Catholic Church.
>>
>>7736622
>that cold sore
>>
>>7736628
That's what sub-orbital launches are for.

Basically an ICBM that carries something other than nukes.
>>
>>7736625
Yes. Particularly given that's TWR is about that of the Loch Ness Monster.
>>
>>7736625
I will give you that memedrive energy is difficult to harvest before a launch, but memedrive energy def. can supply all for launch.
Ever heard of Copenhagen Suborbitals?
>>
>>7736573
NASA btfo! you jelly!!? its not arrogance if they back it up!"
>>
So do they plan on reusing this particular stage one or preserving it as a historic artifact? Also what % of the cost of launch is being saved by reusing stage ones?
>>
File: SpacexLanding.webm (591KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
SpacexLanding.webm
591KB, 1280x720px
Here you go
>>
>>7736618
If it's landing right on the launch pad
It doesn't need any "refurbishing" or rating
Much like a plane doesn't.

It was always dumping shit into the ocean which made things so expensive to refurbish
>>
>>7736642
They will keep this stage at the cape for testing purposes and probably not fly it yet, they want to gather data about how well it survived
>>
>>7736643
Thanks I was in traffic while it was landing and missed it. Looks so smooth compared to the others; love how it got closer every time until it got it perfect.
>>
>>7736628
I'd imagine it would be much harder to land with a payload, but sure, same principle
you just need a bigger rocket and/or more fuel
>>
>>7736618
>refurbishing the booster and rating it for a new launch costs almost as much as making a new one
You're retarded and have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>7736642
If I had to guess, they're going to go over this thing with a fine-toothed comb to look for any kind of cracks and damage, so they can figure out what areas of the rocket to reinforce in order to improve its reusability. It probably won't ever fly again.
>>
Where can I check when these rockets are to be launched? I like watching them but I never know when they're scheduled.
>>
>>7736618
>>7736631
>>7736639
Sounds like the /sci/ regulars just woke up, time to leave.
>>
>>7736628
>Argentina invades Falklands
>Britain drops SAS squad there in 45 mins.
>Island reconquered before Argies even get all their shit off the boat
>>
>>7736629
>Make up numbers
>THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

A reminder that unless SpaceX can actually deliver on flight rate this will mean little.
>>
>>7736651
spaceflightnow.com has a schedule

Also subscrive to the spaceflight subreddit and follow various twitter accounts that track them
>>
>>7736651
http://www.spacex.com/missions
>>
>>7736654
SpaceX just made Space Marines real.
>>
>>7736651
http://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
>>
File: ithacus2.jpg (85KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
ithacus2.jpg
85KB, 639x479px
>>7736628
Yes, it's been suggested multiple times over the past decades. The complexity and cost however means that it'll never be practical.

Pic Related. An old US Military proposal to transport a battalion of infantry exactly as you described.
>>
>>7736644
>Much like a plane doesn't.
You obviously have no idea how much maintenance and testing goes on with commercial planes...
If you don't know what you're talking about just shut the fuck up.
>>
>ULA SHILLS IN FULL DAMAGE CONTROL
>>
>>7736645
They finally get some flight-used engines to run tests on. Not something you usually get to do.
>>
I still don't understand why they never just used a parachute. Also why has no-one else ever thought of doing this?
>>
File: Landing.webm (2MB, 864x480px) Image search: [Google]
Landing.webm
2MB, 864x480px
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 640x492px
>>
>>7736663
Yeah, because maintainance of the plane after every landing costs about as much as just building a new one, right?
Do you just pretend to be retarded?
>>
>>7736667
Not near precise enough to land it on a pad. It's why they always landed them in oceans but saltwater wreaks havoc on it and destroys any chance at reusing it.
>>
>>7736667
Parachutes can't get an accurate landing.

The fuel needed to land is like 1% of the launch cost
>>
>>7736667
It is going very fast.
>>
>>7736617

I nearly had a fucking heart attack

>>7736618
Lol this isn't some RS-25 made by niggernet spicodyne. This engine was better designed for this...
>>
>>7736644
Planes were designed from day one to be used regularly. Falcon 9 was not. We have no idea what service regime will be required.
>>
>>7736651
also, check out r/spacex

i know reddit gets a lot of bad rep here but for me that particular sub is the best place to keep updated on everything spacex related t b h
>>
>>7736668
How did they do it guys? Alien technology?
>>
>>7736673
>>7736671
Oh come on, the world could stand to lose a few Floridians. It's not like anything of value would be lost.
>>
>>7736667
>he thinks nobody ever thought of using a parachute
>we got a real mensa candidate here, guys
Parachutes are a pain in the ass to control the thing hanging from them. It's dangling and swinging back and forth and there's no way it could land on the ground without getting dented all to hell.

But there are some perfectly good rocket engines right there, so they're using them.
>>
>>7736642
>Also what % of the cost of launch is being saved by reusing stage ones?
If they can re-use the first and second stages we could potentially see an entry-level Falcon 9 drop below $10m. Right now they cost ~$60m. It's still alot of money, but it opens the doors to space for alot more people, which should drive down costs even more.
>>
>>7736655
exactly.
so far it's just a rich man playing around.
He just learned that control theory actually works and you can use it to land rockets.
that doesn't make it profitable.
the space shuttle was completely reusable.
it certainly wasn't financially viable.
>>
>>7736651
Spaceflightnow is the best site I know of, but checking twitter feeds, nasaspaceflight.com, and individual subreddits are good as well.
>>
>>7736667
There are two big reasons why you wouldn't use a parachute.
First is size. Rockets are big. It would be extremely impractical to carry parachute large enough to softly land a falcon-9 first stage.
The second is control. A powered landing allows you to choose the exact spot you land far more easily than a parachute.
>>
>In related news, the DOD offered Space X a 10 billion dollar contract to developed rapid deployment rockets to transport troops and supplies.
Space Marines here we come.
>>
>>7736683
SpaceX have totally abandoned the idea of reusing the second stage.
>>
>>7736680
They pay a high premium for select talent and then overwork that talent relentlessly until they quit from burnout. Ex-employees are on the record saying that they loved working there, but you can only stand it for so long.
>>
>>7736690
>Musk was aiming for the defense spending all along
>>
>>7736684
>the space shuttle was completely reusable.
No it wasn't.. Only the shuttle itself was. Also they were deathtraps that killed more people than any other rocket series.
>>
>>7736684
That wasn't the fault of reusability, that was the fault of letting ten different organizations decide what it needed to be. So the vehicle ended up on the side of the rockets, which is BIG BAD STUPID if you put people in there.
>>
There's a heavy version to be launched in early 2016 right?

Does that mean they will be trying to land 3 of these rockets on that one or was this a one-off experiment?
>>
>>7736695
>Also they were deathtraps that killed more people than any other rocket series.
To be fair, they also flew a shitton of missions compared to pretty much everything except the Soyuz.
>>
>>7736691
Yeah but they (or someone else) might come back to it in the future.
>>
File: elon-k-bigpic.jpg (91KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
elon-k-bigpic.jpg
91KB, 970x546px
>>7736694
>>
>>7736684
>the space shuttle was completely reusable.
not really, after every launch you pretty much had to strip down and rebuild it. It was meant to be a space truck but ended up being a particularly finicky Ferrari
>>
>>7736655
They're not made up you twat.

http://www.space.com/21386-spacex-reusable-rockets-cost.html
>Musk reiterated the origin of the SpaceX production model, saying fuel is only 0.3 percent of the total cost of a rocket, with construction materials accounting for no more than 2 percent of the total cost, which for the Falcon 9 is about $60 million.

You're saving almost ALL of the cost by landing and reusing it, rather than throwing it in the ocean and building a new one.
>>
>>7736684
Are you retarded? The Space Shuttle was costly because it had to return to Earth from orbit. This put a shitload of stress onto the heat shield and airframe. Also the engines were maxed out in order to take it all the way as opposed to the Falcon first stage.
>>
>>7736694
Who wouldn't go after that money. Its literally billions of dollars just sitting there. The big three defense companies are ancient and refuse to innovate anything. All they do is improve on current designs by change one minor detail and charge millions or billions of dollars.
>>
>>7736697
(oops sorry for quoting you above, hit the quote right before message posted)
The two on the side will fly back, the third needs the barge downrange.

There is also talk of refueling the center stage ON THE BARGE and launching it from there back to Florida.
>>
>>7736695
The two SRBs were re-usable as well. Only the large orange tank wasn't re-usable.

>>7736697
>Does that mean they will be trying to land 3 of these rockets on that one
Yes. There are animations out there that show multiple landing pads.
>>
>>7736706
None of this is true. Third stage would be totally expendable, unfortunately.
>>
>>7736698
Not including dodgy 1960s Soviet launchers the Space Shuttle was the only modern launch system that ever killed astronauts.
>>
>>7736704
Also throwing away the external tank every launch. Also dousing the SRBs in saltwater every launch. also subcontracting so that you have something refurbished in almost every state to make every congressperson happen.
>>
>>7736692
I heard that but all the employees I saw in the feed looked pretty chill and laid back.
>>
>>7736707
>The two SRBs were re-usable as well.
For definitions of "reusable" which are about the same as re-using a drinking cup after drinking what was inside it.

They were SRBs, there wasn't anything TO re-use other than the empty pipes and the bell-end. Recovering the Falcon 9 first stage brings back eight liquid-fuel engines that are technically capable of launching again after nothing more than refueling.
>>
>>7736698
They also carried more than twice the number of crew of any other manned system on every launch.
>>
>>7736713
True, then again not all employees are engineers.
>>
>>7736697
>There's a heavy version to be launched in early 2016 right?
Falcon Heavy has been slipping since 2012, I wouldn't hold your breath particularly given how this years failure impacted the commercial launches.
>>
>>7736704
Cool fact: Space shuttle had enough power to perform a retrograde orbit due to a military requirement.
>>
>>7736692
There is a lot of people with AS degrees in engineering and working on design and fabrication. Its why they failed in the past. They pay a premium for a few and hope they can carry the project. While the others are just lingering in the background.
>>
>>7736701
Guess what, the same thing's gonna happen with musk's rockets.

These things are always designed to operate at extreme conditions.
Increasing it's lifetime means increasing weight, establishing maintenance and diagnostics routines, replacing a fuckload of parts, having an increased failure probability every time etc..
There's a compromise between weight and lifetime.
Especially in terms of launch systems, it just not fucking worth it.
The space shuttle became so expensive because it became so complex, because it had to be able to be reused.
>>
>ORBCOMM has reached an agreement with SpaceX to launch 18 satellites on its Falcon 9 rockets, for a cost of $42.6 million, by July 2014

anyone know how much these satellites are?
>>
>>7736699
>>7736691
Why do they deorbit the second stage instead of just leaving it up there?
Couldn't you start building a space ship with all those second stages accumulating from dozens of launches? At the very least it's a cylinder people could put air in and live in, no?
>>
>>7736703
>They're not made up!
>Post article which doesn't contain those numbers.

How much you save depends on how much labor is needed to prepare it for flight. Nobody knows how much that is.
>>
File: temp.jpg (389KB, 1920x1251px) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
389KB, 1920x1251px
>>7736726
When NOAA-N was dropped during construction it took 135 million just to repair it after a working removed some bolts without documenting it.
>>
>>7736725
the first stage doesn't have to be covered in unobtanium tiles to survive reenty.
>>
>>7736727
If you leave it up there, something might run into it. Space Debris is starting to become a big problem. It's common courtesy to clean up after yourself.

You could, it's known as a weworkshop, . There's actually been several proposals to reuse upper stages as habitat modules. The early Skylab designs were wet workshop and and there were numerous proposals to use the Shuttles external tank as space station modules.
>>
>>7736725
I already explained that there is a world of difference between the Merlin and the SSME. The Merlins just take it out of the atmosphere, the SSME had to blast the fucker all the way to orbit.
>>
>>7736713
Actual aerospess engineering student here. Almost everyone says "Aerospace&Defense corporations will take blood from your ass, you're better off working at big airports instead." That's just SpaceX advertising itself. This stream was nothing like the others. It was intended for normies.
>>
>>7736738
Someone should put a powerful laser in space and use it to burn up small debris and push the larger stuff out of orbit.
>>
>>7736727
There are probably a bunch of reasons.
- We don't want to put any more trash into outer space than we already have
- Different launch missions require satellites to be launched into different orbits, so you could launch 5 missions, but you'd have 5 second stages at different altitudes, and it's fuel-expensive to change your orbit.
- Fuel and life support equipment are very expensive to put into orbit, especially if there's no commercial justification to do so.
- The main mission is to satisfy the customer's demand by putting their satellites into space. Adding extra crap that could jeopardize the mission will put SpaceX out of business if they're not careful.
>>
>>7736747
Aerospace/space companies work their engineers like dogs. There aren't many engineers who specialized in space engineering or planes. So the market is very low and hence the demand for one is always high.
>>
>>7736749
That's been proposed, however there really isn't a need for the laser to be in orbit. You could do it just fine with a ground based laser of sufficient power.
>>
File: _20151221_202742.jpg (68KB, 1200x634px) Image search: [Google]
_20151221_202742.jpg
68KB, 1200x634px
Spacex BTFO!
>>
>>7736727
>Why do they deorbit the second stage instead of just leaving it up there?
To limit space junk. There's no point causing another collision for something that will never happen. People have talked about reusing stages as wet labs since Apollo.
>>
>>7736749
That's an interesting thought actually. Not sure how plausible it is, but I've never heard of that concept either. Maybe you're onto something.
>>
>>7736756
How many payloads did he deliver again?
>>
>>7736733
Somebody got sacked.
>>
>>7736753
would make it harder and increase the laser power requirements. Plus the airspace clearance and waiting for debris to come to you.

You could put a laser on the ISS and keep it safe from debris. While also pushing other trash down into atmosphere.
>>
>>7736725
ULA shill detected.
>>
>>7736756
Don't worry, Jeff. Maybe you'll join the "not a science experiment club" someday.
>>
File: 11247930575_4aa7a960ac_c[1].jpg (363KB, 800x664px) Image search: [Google]
11247930575_4aa7a960ac_c[1].jpg
363KB, 800x664px
>>7736756
>>
>>7736760
a few million every day
>>
File: 1432696512396.webm (256KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1432696512396.webm
256KB, 1920x1080px
>>7736752
Exactly. And we obviously don't want to work like that no matter how high they pay. Hell the maintenance guys don't even do anything. It's working until you sweat blood or just chilling and controlling the technicians. Easy choice.

>>7736756
Says the guy with a sounding rocket :^)
>>
>>7736765
Musk is currently suing to open national defense launches to competition. Breaking the ULA/Lockheed/Boeing monopoly.
>>
>>7736768
That many to space? damn...
Are you sure?
>>
>>7736747
Was that black girl there just for show as well? As a black female myself I was quite inspired to work at SpaceX by her. It's really all neckbeards isn't it?
>>
>>7736726
Previous Orbcomm satellites were on the order of 1 to 5 million each.
>>
>>7736773
That's history. They already dropped the suit and are certified to launch AF payloads
>>
>>7736768
Not to orbit he doesn't.
>>
>>7736778
Do they need the Heavy to launch Air Force satellites?
>>
>>7736749
>>7736758
>Burn
>In space
There's no oxygen up there remember.
>>
>>7736776
Gwynne Shotwell is the COO of SpaceX and kind of the second in command. She stood up to congress to defend SpaceX quite well
>>
>>7736783
Some yes. AF gave SpaceX a hard time at the last hearing for not having FH ready.

So ULA is the only launcher available for the heavier payloads.. for now.
>>
>>7736784
alright then, smartass
scorch
>>
>>7736785
And /sci/ says women engineers are useless.
>>
>>7736784
laser energy gets absorbed by solids and turns into heat. solids get out and turn into gases in the vacuum of space. Then Third law of motion comes into play. As the expanding gas of the vaporizing solid causes the solid to move in the opposite direction of the gas.
>>
>>7736763
It would make it much easier actually. Yes there is loss in the atmosphere but power is not a problem on the ground. The added difficulty is nothing compared to launching it to space, that adds much more complexity.

In orbit you have to wait for things to come to you anyway.
>>
>>7736749

There's already an idea for this, actually. Google 'laser broom'.
>>
>>7736793

Separating men from their money is one of the female strengths
>>
>>7736784
You don't need oxygen for laser ablation.
>>
>>7736792
So it's now a melted blob, it's the same mass and will cool back solid as soon as you turn off the laser. I am not gonna be an asshole and call it a dumb idea but it's one of those ideas that sounded good until it got shot dead by one fatal flaw.
>>
>>7736776
My faculty consists of 30% girls. And trust me, it's extremely high compared to the other engineering majors. My roommate was a marine engineer and he said they had about 200 people, 4 girls, 3 of them were butches. But then again, it could be only my faculty and you could end up among lots of guys. It's about luck.

I don't think they showed many engineers in that stream. But if you watch a "proper" stream, the one that doesn't scream "come work with us" you can see and hear lots of girls.

But even then, don't let it stop you. Just follow ur drems and b urself.
>>
>>7736803
sublimation

in the absence of pressure acting out. the solid space junk will turn into a gas with out going through the liquid phase.
>>
>>7736676

This may surprise a troll, but F9 actually was designed to be reusable from day one.
>>
>>7736800
Ablation is too slow and power consuming.
>>7736798
This is more temporarily moving the junk out of the way for a launch, not destroying it
>>7736795
Heating it to a gas is also power consuming, what if it's titanium?
>>
>>7732627
my dick is literally diamonds right now
>>
>>7736816
you only have to change the direction it is moving slightly to get to deorbit.
>>
>>7736803
Except the laser doesn't melt the debris. It vaporizes it. And as it does so the material being ablated acts as rocket exhaust which can eventually shift the debris onto a suborbital trajectory
>>
>>7736725
>>7736743

Despite that, the SSME were pretty damn reliable. Should be no problem making the Merlins just as reliable.
>>
>>7736514
by losing (nearly bankrupt in 2008) yet persevering. Life lesson there, boys.
>>
>>7736771
Maintenance guy probably knows more than you do but the degree is what matters. Space X is filled with people with AS degrees in engineering and management filled with retards. Because the turnover is high, jobs are always open and just working as the receptionist can open an opportunity.
>>
>>7736788
>>7736783
Space X is going to launch the next gen GPS satellites. They won the contact because lockheed didn't want it.
>>
>>7736813
No it wasn't. They tacked on the idea of sea-recovery.
>>
>>7736835
I'm still a student, of course he knows better than me. That was a comparison between maintenance for airliners and aerospace&defense companies.
>>
>>7736834
but what if I'm a bitter NEET and externalize all of my problems?
>>
>>7736840
Aerospace jobs are nice. Usually laidback, but the chances of looking for another job within two years is high. Engineering isn't really stable. That's the darkside of engineering. The pay is what attract everyone.
>>
>>7736738
>>7736750
>>7736757
It's not junk or trash
It's engines & fuel tanks sitting there ready to be refueled
If it's got enough fuel to de-orbit then it could more to a different orbit

When we start mining asteroids for fuel, we'll wish we had kept all those hundreds of stage 2's in orbit.
>>
>>7736768
I got it :)
>>
>>7736860
>Implying I won't be launching my mining probes from my bitchin' moonbase
>>
>>7736860
>in orbit
>what is orbital decay
go away normie ree
>>
Elon blogs about the launch:

http://www.spacex.com/news/2015/12/21/background-tonights-launch
>>
VIDEO FROM THE COAST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pTDx-hFDc

>THAT SONIC BOOM
>>
>>7736880
Did it say "I have the biggest boner right now." or was that implied?
>>
>>7736878
And in a few years we'll have some autonomous tugs able to go collect all these second stage boosters floating in space, bring them back to an assembly area

Will be useful material, possibly, even if the engine is useless.
>>
>>7736586
>Well like what if we just took one of them valleys somewhere on earth and filled it with pillows to cushion the blow so it doesn't have to be so precise?
At reentry velocities any material you could use to catch it would basically collapse to concrete instantaneously.
>>
File: spxboner.jpg (45KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
spxboner.jpg
45KB, 768x1024px
Beautiful.
>>
>>7736912
Imagine when the Super Heavy starts its tests
>>
>>7736916
SLS on suicide watch
>>
>>7736912
wow ayylmaos are here
>>
>>7736668
Fucking beautiful.

Gonna need two hands for this.
>>
File: CWzNZC_UkAEDgBv (2).jpg-large.jpg (157KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
CWzNZC_UkAEDgBv (2).jpg-large.jpg
157KB, 1024x1365px
witnessed
>>
File: nailedit.jpg (60KB, 1023x682px) Image search: [Google]
nailedit.jpg
60KB, 1023x682px
Ladies and gentlemen..

I bring you the future.
>>
>>7737002
That looks DEAD ON. I wonder how many INCHES away from perfect that landing was.
>>
File: Orbcomm-three-burns.jpg (222KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Orbcomm-three-burns.jpg
222KB, 2048x1365px
If this pic is before the reusable launcher era...
>>7732627

then this is after! Exposure shows launch in front, and reentry and landing burns in background.
>>
>>7737018
wow thats a cool photo, did you take it?
>>
>>7737070
Nope. That's taken by SpaceX.
>>
File: TheFalconHasLanded.webm (388KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TheFalconHasLanded.webm
388KB, 1280x720px
There's been an awakening..

Have you felt it?
>>
>>7737095
fucking awesome angle! you can see the legs unfolding!
>>
>>7736540
This actually looks like a KSP screencap.
>>
File: 1381818128311.gif (2MB, 442x222px) Image search: [Google]
1381818128311.gif
2MB, 442x222px
>>7736756
>>
post 499
>>
Post 500
>>
(five hundred and) 1st
>>
So apparently this booster will never fly again, but be used as a memento, sort of like the first Dragon that they have hanging inside their HQ. They will however take it back and do a tie-down burn just to see if it in theory can be put right back into use. Id also suspect that a bunch of engineers will go over it with a microscope and see how all the parts handled the launch/landing.
http://gizmodo.com/despite-landing-in-once-piece-spacexs-reusable-rocket-1749213213
>>
>>7732627
W-what is this white stuff in my pants?
>>
WHY THE FUCK IS THIS THREAD ON AUTOSAGE

FUCK YOU FAGGOT MODS
FUCK
YOU
>>
>>7737822
because of the bump limit

500 posts on /sci/

this is post 506
>>
File: new-1435152981831.jpg (291KB, 1042x743px) Image search: [Google]
new-1435152981831.jpg
291KB, 1042x743px
>>7737822
Look at the numbers on the bottom right, it reached the bump limit.
>>
>>7733361
The landing took more time than it should have, due to conditions. They had only enough for a perfect landing, no extra adjustments.

BTW, the fluid isn't lost. It's injected into fuel tank and burned with the fuel, so actually the hydraulic fluid tank is essentially an extra fuel tank with additional purpose.
>>
>>7736733
Can you imagine being one of the engineers that built this thing and seeing your baby trashed on the floor like this after some scumsucker dropped it.
>>
>>7736756
Read the replies. The audience was not amused.
>>
>>7736783
F9 can launch 60% of Air force payloads apparently.

Delta heavy can carry about twice as much to LEO, and Falcon Heavy will theoretically be ~2x as capable as DeltaH, so it will give AF the option of sending up bigger sats.
>>
>>7737002
This is my new desktop background.
>>
>>7736680
I'd guess current technology, particularly computers, allows this.
>>
>>7736680
10,000+ hours in KSP
gotta refine those fingers bruh
>>
>>7737095
sauce of this video?
Thread posts: 515
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.