[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw interested in too many things >physics, maths, filmmaking,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (14KB, 125x116px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 125x116px
>tfw interested in too many things
>physics, maths, filmmaking, drawing, writing, literature, music playing piano, history, philosophy etc
>tfw dip my hand into all of them and gain a moderate above noob knowledge but not pro in any of them
>tfw changed my degree twice now
>can't stick with something for too long before I get jittery and do something else
>grow a distaste towards something if I'm taught by a lecturer or teacher

HOW DO I FIX THIS, RIGHT NOW I WANT TO CHANGE MY DEGREE TO PHYSICS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>7732465
>too long before I get jittery and do something else
aka its too hard. either keep at it or do art history
>>
>>7732467
It's not hard most of the time, I just grow interest in other things, I enjoy too many aspects of life, I can't stick with something for 4 years, it's just too much, you might be right but I just can't stick with something. So little time in the world and I just love too much.

How do I keep at it? I get depressed and unable to function if I stick with one thing for too long.
>>
>>7732468
I do the same thing to be honest. I've even gotten pretty good at a few of them, but I keep getting interested in a lot of new stuff.
>>
>>7732465
>degree
sounds like you'd be better off with an associate's and freelancing
>>
Iktf. You're solution is to specialize in one of them that gives you a job that allows you both the money to support yourself and the time to engage in other intellectual hobbies.

You probably won't be innovative in every field you're interested in, but you can make a life where you can study other things to your hearts content.

For example, I'm gonna get a job in the field of economics, but I'm interested in mathematics, philosophy, outdoor sports, and blacksmithing. I'll work on getting a job that gives me money to eat, read books on mathematics and philosophy, spend weekends hiking and snowboarding, and work towards building a shop where I can fuck around with building shit. It's about balance.
>>
>>7732465
how old are you?
>>
>>7732465
Don't worry, I used to be like you. I was interested in lots of things. Now I am NEET and don't care about anything.
>>
>>7732532
Give him time anon. I'm sure OP would end up like that eventually.
>>
>>7732465
>>physics, maths, filmmaking, drawing, writing, literature, music playing piano, history, philosophy etc

>physics
k

>maths
k

>filmmaking
retarded shit, stop this

>drawing
more retarded shit

>literature
it better be a math/physics book

>music
just listen to some music while you study or something.

>playing piano
degenerate

>history
read some wiki articles

>philosophy
literally a meme. its fucking useless.
>>
>>7732465
The main philosophy of liberal arts is to do a lot of things sub-mediocrely (and something involving diversity or whatever). You'd fit right in.
>>
>>7732465
There's nothing wrong with enjoying both the humanities and the sciences. As long as you are dedicated to one specific field you'll do fine (and in today's job market we need people that are well versed in STEM). Since we don't live in the 17th century anymore we no longer have the luxury of learning 6 dead languages and knowing all the details of the Julio-Claudian dynasty while writing a symphony and doing research in group theory 400 years before its foundations. In the 21st century we only care about muh job and muh money.

Just pick something, get a job, then enjoy life.
>>
>>7732556
it was always the same for everyone who wasn't rich
>>
>>7732465
you dont need a degree to be a writer, drawer, or film maker or philosopher but you do to science
>>
>>7732564
Alright ill give you that, but I wouldn't say everybody, Kepler managed.

But that's deviating from what I was saying, in the society we live in specialization in a certain task is absolutely necessary. Whether that task is creating the head of a needle, or supervising a team writing assembly code.
>>
>>7732579
i've got a job coding after taking cs courses for 1 year. before that i did business stuff and tutored calculus. it's not really that difficult to jump around if you've got ability
>>
>>7732523>>7732465
I'm doing this now because I'm the same way

If you are able to get a job that let's you work for 20 hours a week. That leaves leaves a lot of time to get involved with lots of different things. Get textbooks and learn how to read them properly. It might take a little while, but I'm loving learning new things all the time cause I have time.
>>
>>7732465
>grow a distaste towards something as soon as I really learn about it from anything that isn't popsci videos

gee, I wonder why you have so many deep and varied interests? :^)
>>
get an engineering degree and then study things you like on your own as soon as interest arises and stop studying once you're bored
>>
>>7732465
You sound like someone who grew up without a strong father figure
>>
>>7733001
Fuck! Get out of my head!
>>
>>7732465
>/sci/ - My blog
>>
File: 1446613040409.png (715KB, 629x758px) Image search: [Google]
1446613040409.png
715KB, 629x758px
>>7733001
>>
>>7732536
Can't tell if serious, I wouldn't put it past the uncultured autists on this board.

Anyway, here's your (you).
>>
>>7733001
Fuck you for nailing it.
>>
Adderall a hell of a drug
>>
>>7732465

Study physics and try to apply your knowledge of physics to other subjects such as music (how instruments produce music), film making (how cameras works, what is used today and how they evolved) etc. Atleast this is how I try to channel my degree subject and gain a deeper undesrtanding of other things by looking them at the most fundamental level. And you will always have time to study something else. I always have bursts of interest, such as literature, music, medicine, sport, geography etc. You don't need to take courses on everything you know. You can just go home and read a book..
>>
>>7732523
This is by far the best advice in this thread.
>>
>>7733001
Fuck you Freud.
>>
>>7733001
how u do this
>>
It seems like you have adhd. Have you been diagnosed? I have a friend who's like that and was diagnosed with the disorder as a child. As for sticking with one thing, the only that managed to do that for him was joining the army (he's training to be a technician, not some footsoldier).
>>
>>7733474
>80% of marriages end with divorce and the mother always gets custody
>how u no i no had father figure durrrrrrrr
>>
Pick the most flexible and versatile one that's the most employable, then do the rest as hobbies.
>>
>>7732536
Holy fuck your stupidity is beyond the spectrum
>>
>>7732465
Just become NEET master race. Don't fall for the wagecuck meme.
>>
>>7732465
>>7733001
This combination of posts made me tense up and feel physically ill.

Why must you reawaken my old anger management issues, anon? I can't study like this.
>>
>>7732465
I have the same tendency as you, and always have. Though I never pursued any sort of education. I thought I could go on forever, and perhaps I could have, but life and my own nature burned me out. At this point I don't even bother to invest the slightest drip of interest, spark, or investment in much of anything. I can feel it, even now, something in me passively suppresses anything that might lead to "splintering". That's probably not relevant to your case though.

I think your issue is that, like most people, you jumped into education too quickly. Is it something that you truly "fix"? I don't know. I think you'd probably be best to just calm down, and try just living for a while. You have tunnel vision.
>>
File: 1430828008765.jpg (47KB, 500x459px) Image search: [Google]
1430828008765.jpg
47KB, 500x459px
>>7733002
>>7733028
>>7733040
>>7733360
>>7733474
>>7733644
Don't worry, I only called it because of my own personal experience
>>
>>7732465
Do we really have to ban non-essential tasks and focus all of our hyperactive energy on specialization and career shit, before branching out again later? How is this feat accomplished?

Do you brick your laptop and hide in a library with some textbooks?
>>
>>7733495
lol i bet he told you that like its something impressive. non-combat troops are basically the humanities majors of the military
>>
I had this problem for years.

Now I'm 22 and I'm starting to lose interest in everything.
I see my ability to learn and understand degrading, I have not finished my degree (dropped out at 3rd year), and I'm stuck with no specialization, no job opportunities and no will to learn new things.
I want to apply what I know, but I cannot do it without proof, and I don't have any proof.
It really sucks. Pick a field that you know for sure it include a large chunk of the things you're interested in (for me that would probably be EE) and finish it.
After you have your degree you can do a whole bunch of shit, and probably stick to them because you have the resources to expand, either through research or application.
>>
>>7734357
I just barely turned 22 and am more or less in the exact spot you described.

I'm incapable of motion and feel myself actively suppressing any inclination to think about much of anything. I've felt empty. I've felt dead. I've felt gone, and I've felt asleep. But this is something else. I'm just unwilling. In general.
>>
I feel like I was truly born too early. In high school I fell in love with film photography, and my interest in science (especially chemistry) made me want to pursue the chemistry behind it. The more I looked into it the more depressing the situation became, the film industry went from huge to nothing within less than a decade. This was right around when kodak filed for bankruptcy (the first time?). Digital cameras haven't wiped out film; it's still a large and active albeit niche art, but there is not a dime in the world being dedicated to new research with silver halide films.

>tfw you will never be R&D chemist at kodak in its heyday.
>>
>>7734357
>>7734369
Clearly you guys are describing depression. Go to your doc and ask for some meds.
>>
File: sci_pepe.jpg (22KB, 332x339px) Image search: [Google]
sci_pepe.jpg
22KB, 332x339px
>>7732465
>>7733721

Interesting.
>>
>>7733001
WHAT THE?!??!
>>
>>7732465
>physics, maths,

Major in them

>filmmaking, drawing, writing, music playing piano,

Hobbies

>literature, history, philosophy etc

Read about them on you're own
>>
>>7732532
>not NEET and care about everything
Gonna need to finally leave my house if I want to reach enlightenment.
>>
>>7734976
Lol'd.
>>
>>7732465
>Changing degree to physics
Mate, you don't know what you're talking about. Physics is literally the hardest degree you can undertake. If the uni is decent enough, you will get loaded with coursework and assfucked backwards. If you do not work hard from 14 yo to become a physicist and are not attending uni at the age of 17 don't even try.
>>
>>7735271
Nice meme lmao
>>
>>7732523
And what kinds of jobs are those, wise anon.
>>
>>7735301
Either you go to a shit university or you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>7735306
I was saying nice meme to the "you have to work hard from 14 years old"

University physics is definitely not easy but highschol physics is easy as fuck, you're probably slow
>>
>>7732523
I was gonna be medical before I realised how much I enjoy drinking every day and not taking my life the least bit seriously. My new plan is Ochem
>>
>>7732523
this is annoyingly realistic desu.
>>
>>7732465
>le reddit amphibian
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.