[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I trying too hard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: conversation with D.png (32KB, 808x632px) Image search: [Google]
conversation with D.png
32KB, 808x632px
So 2 years ago I fucked up real bad, and dropped out of school temporarily b/c of some alcohol + drug problems.

I got clean, and since then I have been working as hard as I possibly can to do well and fulfill my dream of working for the ESA. I might even get into Cambridge if I can secure an A* in Further Maths (!!!).

But... i think its making all my old friends hate me. I just had this conversation with one of my friends...

Is he right? Am I always going to alienate people and make them hate me?
>>
They are just jealous that you've got your shit together and they haven't.
>>
>>7731442
Take it to facebook retard

>>7731446
High-school girl tier reply
>>
>>7731442
this is going to sound like it came from facebook but...
there will always be people who accept that you don't always have time for them
if this kid can't let you live the way you are then he is not a true friend
don't stray from what you're doing the world needs people as responsible as you
>>
>>7731442
You know how people often say that you shouldn't take advice from 4chan?

You should hold your STEAM friends in even lower regard.

Why the fuck do you even have a STEAM chat open? Find real friends with some goddamn ambition.

You won't get into Cam. or the ESA though.
>>
>>7731442
cut down the fucking memes and stop telling EVERYONE you see about your ebin lifeplan
>>
>>7731442
You're both right. He's dumbfounded at your unrealistic BS, you're uninterested in his unimpressive lifestyle and lazy choices.

Somewhere in the middle there is peace.
>>
OP PLEASE READ BELOW:
There is nothing wrong in what you are currently doing/planning. The point is to push our limits as much as we can. Even if you want to become Artist, engineer and medicine doctor at the same time and it gives you a pleasure and you feel satisfied you should do this, every 15 minutes spent on your math is better than 15 minutes of playing computer games, but remember to have some free time from time to time (you can get addicted to learning as well).
Ignore faggots that say you are a dreamer and will not reach what you want, because they wont live your life.
Im chemical engineering student, by thinking similar as you do I won with my wow addiction and depression. One day I want to become great mind like Tesla.
I wish you best op!
>>
>>7731453
>High-school girl tier reply
No matter how you call it, truth is still truth
>>
>>7731446
>>7731457
>>7731477
OP is a fucking autist there is a difference between saying "I hope to work for ESA one day" and laying out some super rigid over detailed fantasy life plan.
>>
an important part of achievement is taking a step back and reminding yourself that each and every moment is part of your goal. you work today. plans only exist in the future. plans don't manifest themselves.

you can talk about a plan all you want but you must do it now if you ever want to experience it. don't lost sight of the pain and pleasure you can and will experience today because they aren't means to an end or distractions, they ARE the plan coming to fruition.
>>
>>7731442
Lol OP. You're gambling away your friends for a shot at entering Cambridge basically.

Just realize that if you don't make it in in the end, it would all be for nothing. And seeing as to how you dropped out of school due to retarded shit, your odds don't seem good.
>>
>>7731442
He's mostly right.

You remind me of the kids in 6th grade who had this whole detailed life plan laid out. Yeah, man. You're definitely going to become a navy seal, then do blah blah for 10 years, then blah blah, then settle down, wife and kids... Just going to put that in my planner real quick... "oct. 9th, 2025: Get wife. Begin child growing process." And you know what? It was the same all throughout high school, but worse.

It's delusional. You;ve got no idea here life, and you, are going to lead. Don't focus on your desired destination to the extent that you cease to see the value of the journey. That doesn't mean let people nag and fuck you out of what you really want to be doing, but unfortunately, that's what having connections is. They require maintenance, and there are always choices and repercussions. Choose wisely. Ideally by knowing yourself a bit more deeply than "I want to do blah blah my whole life and that'll blah blah, and eventually I'll be an old man thinking about how I did blah blah."
>>
>BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WHY WON'T YOU WASTE TIME IN A SKINNER BOX WITH ME? YOU'RE AN AUTIST
Those friends are cancer.

I enjoy vidya too but if you prioritize it over real life you're a fucking skid and a loser. If you have loser friends -> you're a loser.
>>
>>7731442
He's sort of right that you're being a bit anal about your plan, pre-deciding things you realistically have little control over
>12 years in RAF
Nigguh what?
>>
>>7731442
Seriously, there's nothing wrong with hoping to work at ESA, but you shouldn't make such a detailed plan. If you're currently in highschool, your currentgoal should be to go to uni and study M.Eng. After you're done, then you can think about joining the military,

The reason you shouldn't make such a detailed plan is that things pretty much never go exactly as planned. You might be able to join ESA, but not the russian section. That kind of thing.
>>
>>7731442
>>7732185
Also see >>7732135
>>
Think of it this way: Life is like a bunch of roads and highways. What you're currently doing is going on google maps and planning your trip to your desired destination. The prloblem is the transportation ministry (read: life) is ran by a bunch of idiots who are constantly destroying and creating new roads. So your little plan won't hold up for long before the road you're on ends up being a cul-de-sac.
>>
>>7731442
your friend is a douchebag who will never go anywhere in life
anybody who thinks your lame for actually learning instead of wasting away with video games is a tumor

that being said your plan kinda sucks and it's lame to just spout out your half assed life plan to people

you'll be okay
>>
>>7731442
OP, there is some truth in your friend giving you shit about planning every detail. Sure, you might not have every detail planned out, but don't get too hung up on the details. Be a bit more fluid (e.g. if a better opportunity comes your way), have some back-ups if things don't go the way you want, etc. If your friend is one of the people you hung around 2 years ago when you were fucked up, reconsider being friends with them. I hung around some pretty shady people in high school. Little did they know I was actually a good student and got a scholarship to the best university in my state. Got away from that crowd, did my studies, met a few other people who were like-minded and genuinely nice people. Keep in mind that studies aren't everything, so don't lock yourself up in your room everyday studying, but in my experience, a good friend/girlfriend will understand when you need to study. Make time for other things and people as well though. It's a fine balance, not everyone gets it right the first time but you should get there eventually.
>>
>>7731477
Are you russian?
>>
>>7731442
Old friends will try to hold you back. It is painful but you have to move on to better friends if you are going to grow.

This happened to me. I feel sad when I run into them now. Their health is shot, no money, no health insurance, bitter and depressed.

Hang in there OP.
>>
>>7732251
Plans and goals are very powerful.

* Review and amend them from time to time as you learn.

I like to have 3 levels

1. The dream eg to be wealthy so I can afford nice things and support good causes.

2. Quantified goals eg I will get a 3+ GPA this year.

3. Action plan eg join a study group in each subject; drink no more than 2 drinks on one occasion per week; study X hours.
>>
>>7731442
>I might even get into Cambridge if I can secure an A* in Further Maths (!!!).
You might get into Cambridge if you get a path finding algorithm in further math courses?
>>
>>7731442
Sredni, get back in the lit chat, faget
>>
the life plan is a bit too rigid to be expected to fulfill properly in the time frame, but i'd say he's just annoyed you aren't playing video games when he wants.

i've dealt with similar shit. there's a point in time when you have to just do work and most mature people recognise that. the people who kick off because you won't play a fucking video game with them are just manchildren angry at the fact you are looking beyond the next cod game being released.
>>
>>7731442
If someone uses the words "autism" or "autistic" as a generalized insult, you should disregard anything they say. I would think anyone on 4chan would have learned this by now.
>>
>>7731442
is this how you talk to your "friends"?

Nothing of value was lost but kill yourself anyway.
>>
>>7731442
You should plan short term goals more rigidly, and have multiple options long term. Don't fall into the trap of only having one long-term possibility planned out; that's just setting yourself up for disappointment, which can be heartbreaking.
I think you should have 4 categories of objectives:
>what must I do this week?
>"" "" this month?
>"" "" this year?
>what long-term options do these open up?
The fourth category should be the least rigid.
I think your current plan puts way too much pressure on you to fulfill some kind of self-made prophecy. You should keep in mind that as you move on in life other opportunities may open up that you didn't even know you were interested in, and you should be ready to consider those options.
Also, your plan seems to be lacking in short-to-medium term goals. What are you doing to prepare for uni? Will you consider joining clubs relevant to your studies? Do you have any study strategies you know work for you? Have you considered what internships will be available during uni and how to apply? These are the sorts of things you should be looking at now, rather than planning things out years and years in the future.
Good to see you're studying hard now, though. That sort of self-motivation is going to be even more important in uni.
>>
>>7731442
>Is he right? Am I always going to alienate people and make them hate me?
It's good that you have ambitions, but you know as well as me this lifeplan is ridiculously detailed. So your friend is right in that regard, but overall I'll still say it's not that big of a deal and your friend acting out this way is retarded. Literally textbook loser-behaviour.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.