[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Within 50 years I want to be a computer. Should I get a math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (294KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
294KB, 960x960px
Within 50 years I want to be a computer.

Should I get a math degree or a compute science degree?
>>
>>7729779

Get a shrink
>>
This singularity crap is the alchemy of the 21st century.
>>
>>7729794
So the mythology of it will be stripped away and it will eventually go on to inspire more rigorous studies which profoundly change our place in the universe?

Because that sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>7729794

>He doesn't realize technology increases exponentially.
>>
Look into Neuroscience. We're not going to be uploading anything if we can't suss out how it works.
>>
>>OP
Do math, learn to program, put additional focus on dynamical systems, signal processing and machine learning.
>>
>>7729825

Bsc math
Msc machine learning
Phd AI/neural networks.

Or just do all math?
>>
>>7729835
No need to do all math. Machine learning research uses low level math, you will have it covered by a good math bsc
>>
>>7729856

Should I do programming/compsci courses at school or just do it all on my free time?
>>
>>7729824
Actually uploading is how we will figure out how it works. We make computer models of what we see with imaging and then try different rulesets on our data until we can replicate real behavior.
>>
>>7729856
>Machine learning research uses low level math

Maybe it could stand to use more math. It wouldn't hurt to try.
>>
>>7729779
Are there any groups doing this? I know there is alot of interest in mind uploading, but it seems like everyone is running around by themselves, when this should really be a group effort.
>>
>>7729779
>I want to be a computer.
So you're a computer stuck in a human body? Is this a new gender? Like some people think they're actually squirrels or mayonnaise? Go make a tumblr blog about it, weirdo.
>>
>>7729970
what's the point? the thing running on the computer is just a copy of your mind, but you'll die anyway.
>>
>>7729983
We've been over the ship of theseus problem a million times by now. As long as we do it right through integration instead of straight copying, then things should be alright.
>>
>>7729982

Trans people don't have an IQ of 13000
>>
>>7729983

Nice try but I'm going to live to be billions of years old.
>>
File: hubrids.jpg (78KB, 601x842px) Image search: [Google]
hubrids.jpg
78KB, 601x842px
Doesn't matter. They are here. Make them abduct you and get absorbed into the borg.
>>
File: theendofthe20thcentury.jpg (77KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
theendofthe20thcentury.jpg
77KB, 600x1000px
>>7730254

>implying I won't be able to escape in 75 years and fly off to my own private area of the universe and 3d print my own galaxies and solar systems and play god by myself and my AI robots and my millions and millions of different planet civilization experiments.
>>
File: borg mecca.jpg (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
borg mecca.jpg
27KB, 320x240px
>>7730254
They are here on earth. They are known more commonly as, the kebab
>>
>>7729882
Well that is on you. If you can manage to do them in your free time, that's obviously better.
>>
>>7729779
Double major in Computational Physics and Computational Biology and get a doctorate's in Neurophysics if you want to 'be' a computer.
>>
>>7730001
Computers can't create, though. Okay I really hate that grammar rule...sort of.
>>
>>7729779
Get a major that will make you money so that you can buy the technology when people of great talent develop it. If you actually want to help, you can become an EE with an MD/PhD.

>Why not neuroscience?
Good at drawing road maps. Worse than EE at innovation.
>>
>>7730005
Yeah but listen to >>7729999
Otherwise you'll die
>>
>>7729794
I thought chemistry was the alchemy of the 21st century
>>
Friendly remember
>You just copy your brain into a PC
>a copy
>when you die, your CONSCIOUSNESS will perish
>the copy you won't experience will live on
>>
File: Apple Temple.jpg (39KB, 349x465px) Image search: [Google]
Apple Temple.jpg
39KB, 349x465px
>>7730339
Distraction is futile
You are already absorbed
>>
Dutch neuroscientist neural engineer Randal Koene has been trying to raise awareness on the topic.Realistic routes toward substrate independence would be a serious game changer that could potentially spawn an intelligence explosion. Seems like an unrealistic goal seeing how humans are so adept at squandering away time. Would it really be you being uploaded into the computer though? Or would it just be a computational model that essentially emulates how you think and make decisions?
>>
>>7730971
friendly remember that persistence of identity is an illusion
>>
>>7731124
Friendly reminder you don't actually know anything about time, much less consciousness. Your sensation of knowledge is an illusion masking your, and all of our, ultimate ignorance.
>>
>>7729779
Sounds more like a Philosophy degree to me. Possibly a CompLit or maybe a SocDeg
>>
File: baby fakir.jpg (46KB, 613x414px) Image search: [Google]
baby fakir.jpg
46KB, 613x414px
>>7731126
nice mysticism you got there
>>
>>7731253
>mysticism
You're mistaken about what this word means.
>>
File: 363W9vh[1].jpg (56KB, 491x369px) Image search: [Google]
363W9vh[1].jpg
56KB, 491x369px
>>7731254
You're posting Depak Chopra levels of bullshit. Maybe try /x/
>>
>>7731260
Are you the same one who went off about "mysticism" in that hallucinogen thread?

You've got something going on.
>>
File: supercoolpics_05_15012014163322.jpg (294KB, 1230x818px) Image search: [Google]
supercoolpics_05_15012014163322.jpg
294KB, 1230x818px
>>7731264
I'm >>7731253 but I'm not >>7731260 and I wasn't in the hallucinogen thread (well I was but I didnt post that).

Anyway, what is it according to you that determines which one is *me* and which one is *the copy I won't experience* when you make a perfect copy of a brain?
>>
>>7731273
It's more simple than you're making it. What makes one you, and the other not, is that you're you. And you're not it. The moment two of you exist, each will begin accumulating changes that further make you differ anyway. You can't be two of yourself at once without some sort of mechanical basis for that connection, I'm not sure why you'd assume your consciousness would funnel into the copy after death, that implies you're both at once without knowing it and you're merely being polarized or focused in some way. Why? What makes this copy special, what makes it necessarily "you"? The poster just barely said persistent identity is an illusion.

Change is a gradient. We don't really understand time, and why anything changes to begin with, and what it really means to change. No, it's very likely a mere copy. Now something that's actually interesting, and actually paradoxical, is what becomes of you if you were to split your brain in half, someone keeping each functional and alive, but not at all connected. Probably by duplicating the brainstem somehow.

It might well be that this "consciousness" phenomena disappears outright. We're like a grand waterfall. And I suppose I don't buy it, because I don't actually think the immediate body is special, or the whole picture. It's only a component of a greater system that sustains this youness.
>>
>>7731289
>I'm not sure why you'd assume your consciousness would funnel into the copy after death
I think I may have misunderstood >>7730971 if that's your only point. Indeed I do'nt assume that.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.