[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Syllabus for my linear algebra class next semester. What the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: gayniggerjews.png (163KB, 1073x767px) Image search: [Google]
gayniggerjews.png
163KB, 1073x767px
Syllabus for my linear algebra class next semester. What the fuck is this shit? Why can't I just learn in peace?
>>
I don't know man. I don't know.

I'm sorry that "education efficiency experts" have made teachers do this.
>>
>>7728518
>Introductory Linear Algebra
>aka Matrix Algebra

Because you're taking a pleb tier class
>>
I hate this too, especially team projects, like an assignment for 2 people. I don't like to depend on some lazy fuck.
>>
>>7728531
This is the advanced intro linear algebra class believe it or not. There's a pleb version. This one is for math/CS/EE majors.
>>
>>7728518
>the creation of personally meaningful solutions
>personally meaningful
Hahaha holy fuck what kind of special snowflake liberal arts shithole do you go to?
>>
>>7728544
It says vectors in 2 or 3 dimensional spaces.
What kind of joke school do you go to? Just drop out already and attend any public university in europe
>>
>>7728570
The instructor has a Virginia Tech email address.
>>
>>7728518

>http://www.mathed.soe.vt.edu/Faculty/mwawro.html

>Professor Wawro's research investigates the learning and teaching of undergraduate mathematics content courses.
>Currently she is focused on researching students' understanding of linear algebra.

Congratulations on being a guinea pig for "muh inclusive math class". Math is for everybody!!(especially women and blacks though).
>>
>>7728576
Glorified highschool. Get Strang's and do it on your own.
>>
>>7728576
that explains a lot.
>>
Everyone is hating on this, but I assume it's some effort to make mathematical more collaborative. It's actually a good idea, because if you go for a PhD in mathematics, you'll need to learn to collaborate with others and work through difficult problems.

Doesn't seem all that bad, even if it reeks of a social experiment.
>>
I did something similar to this in my intro to linear algebra class. It wasn't so bad.
>>
>>7728583
>social experiment
>one guy doing all the fucking work

I am told it's like this even at the PhD level. Forced collaboration is horrible, but a frequent exchange of notes while working on your own seems fitting.
>>
>>7728544
>http://www.math.vt.edu/people/mwawro/class_policy/2114_88876.pdf
>Prerequisites - Math 1226: Calculus of a Single Variable
>Text: Lay, D. C. (2012). Linear Algebra plus MyMathLab Getting Started Kit for Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 4/E. Pearson (ISBN 9780321399144)

It's still pleb tier matrix algebra.

>>7728570
>It says vectors in 2 or 3 dimensional spaces

I assume that's freshman vector geometry. It's usually shoehorned into matrix algebra or vector calculus.
>>
>>7728576
More like Vagina Tech... but seriously what the hell is this crap?

>>7728583
In the real world you can chose whom you work with.
>>
>>7728599
>In the real world you can chose whom you work with.

Spoken like someone who has never worked in the real world.
>>
http://www.math.vt.edu/people/mwawro/class_home/2114_88876.pdf

>>7728518
Anon, after reading the full syllabus, it looks like that's separate from the "Project" part of your grade. The project is something you work on solo.

So work on/dick around with the challenge problems enough to have something to talk about. When someone else says something that doesn't make sense or has a gap in it, ask them about it. Congratulations, you're putting in enough effort to avoid getting dinged for participation.

Hell, the in-class group stuff doesn't even show up in the grading section.
>>
>>7728583
you don't collaborate with monkeys for a phd
>>
>>7728603
Ok, not in the business world maybe, but in academia pretty much. Nobody forces a math professor to collaborate with a particular person.
>>
You're a pleb who should probably just give up math if you can't even present a problem to the class. These were literally my favorite types of classes, and you will definitely get better and learn more than being an autistic quiet note taker.

>showing entire class how much better you are than them
>your arrogance and skill literally makes plebs drop from your program
>teacher is mirin your skills (milf of course)
>using math problems to let the class know you will be the only one getting into an elite grad school
>>
you're hyping it up to more than what it is.

stop being a pussy
>>
>>7728518
>the professor is a woman

Shocking
>>
>>7728577
Kek what a retarded whore
>>
>>7728518
whenever a goofus new prof is also involved in "studying how we learn" they make u do the goofiest inane bullshit
>>
>>7728518
Just take 2405 bro
>>
>>7728518
what the fuck easy ass math class only has 15% midterms and 25% final??

at my school we 3 exams for our entire grade and they were all gruelling problems not some free 5% because you reflected on your learning shit

why are american universities so easy?
>>
>>7728768
Yea, I had a similar experience. 3 tests for 15, and a final for 20. Though it was an easy project final desu
>>
>vectors in 2 or 3 dimensional spaces
>no dot product
>no determinants (don't even know how you can do eigenvalues without it, but whatever)
>no Component spaces
>no least squares

OP, you're going to a joke Uni. I suggest you watch Strang's Linear algebra courses, since yours might not teach you shit.
>>
>>7728775

Why would they even bother listing dot product/determinant in a course syllabus?
>>
File: mSrLCv7.jpg (20KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
mSrLCv7.jpg
20KB, 624x352px
>>7728518
It's a way to push through students who are only there due to their race or gender. Schools can use all kinds of quotas for admitting those unprepared to do the work but until now they couldn't guarantee they'd graduate. They tried things like dumbing down the classes, adding special tutoring centers only open to particular demographics, and even making many courses optional but ultimately to keep their accreditation, they can only go so far with those changes. By forcing problems to get solved in a group setting, everyone in the group gets credit even if they were unable to contribute anything.
>>
>>7728810
because they're a huge topic if you treat them properly.

Read Lang's linear algebra if you want to see a good formal tractation
>>
You guys on /Sci/ act all smart doing "linear algebra" at college. After reading the syllabus just then.... I did that shit in high school
>>
>>7728570
Cow college.
>>
>>7728986
What thread were you reading? We're shitting on this course for being trivial and accommodating to the inept
>>
>>7728959
>Lang
>forma
>>
>7729014
Although to be fair people to post some complex engineering propositions here, which I do not get.. I don't visit this board a whole lot but from what I gather is it.
>God tier Maths
>Tier 1 Chemistry Physics
>Tier 2 Biology other science
>Tier 3 Computer Science
from what I've seen you guys hate on IT majors?
>>
File: 1376847189582.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
1376847189582.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>7728518
>Americlaps
>>
>>7728711
This

You'll be making fun of others' presentation.
That's excatcly what they are asking you to do, ask questions and provide comments, as in, poiting out all their mistakes and asking embarassing questions about everything they hide under the rug during the presentation.
>>
>>7728768
Seriously, fuck that.

Final exams that are worth 40% of your damned grade eat my fucking soul. Feels really bad to get 100% on every single midterm and still get a fucking C in a class.
>>
>>7728518
Asking you to present problems to the class is their way of making sure you actually understand wtf you are doing, and aren't some butt chugger who can only crank the wheel on the magic math machine.

My calc 1 and intro circuit analysis courses were somewhat like this, difference being that calc 1 didn't have presentations, and circuit analysis was presentation based every single day (the instructor would call people at random to do random problems on the board, literally zero lecture).

Classes like that are a lot of fun.
>>
>>7729090
Final should be 100%. Everything else is just baby mode.

My school usually has:
+Obligatory homeworks: Pass/Fail
+Obligatory mid-term: Pass/Fail
+Final exam: Graded A-F
>>
>>7729024
>hate on IT majors
No hating, just chiding. They're a sad joke worthy of disapproval and scorn, but not passionate dislike.
>>
OP here

I discovered there's a Math 3144 class called "Linear Algebra I". However, it requires Diff EQ as a prereq which requires 2114 (the babby class in the OP) as a prereq. So, wtf?

http://www.math.vt.edu/people/jasonwil/class_home/3144_84569.html
>>
File: Bright Burger.png (633KB, 1061x1049px) Image search: [Google]
Bright Burger.png
633KB, 1061x1049px
>>7729463
WTF are you WTFing about?

Most undergrad programs have a baby linear and a big linear / matrix theory class. There's nothing in your link about Diff Eq being a prereq. The only prereq listed is baby linear.

Stop trying to chase the white rabbit and just study for your classes.
>>
>>7729463
grad level linear algebra perhaps
>>
>>7729474
Scratch the "nothing in your link about Diff Eq being a prereq" bit; I misread 2214 as 2114. Still, nothing there's out of the ordinary.
>>
>>7728592

Shit that is very true. A PhD in our lab recently helped a student in another lab with his dissertation. Got taken advantage of for knowing more chemistry than the other kid and had to do a lot of work on it. Plus the kid he helped would ask him for things totally last minute. Now he's skeptical about another collaboration that our professor wants to start with another school.
>>
I'm glad that I had to do laboratories with a group and not alone, it helped me interact with people and not being a complete shut-in. I mean, I am one, but at least I can talk to other people.
>>
>>7728518
Sounds fucking dope. Linear algebra is my favorite intro course.
>>
My intro linear algebra was all proof based in n-dimensional real vectors. Our upper division version is the same style, just more advanced topics.

We also have discussion sections with our TAs here where we talk about the math and work through theory and problems together. I find it actually to be very rewarding, just talking about math with a bunch of people who like it.
>>
>>7728544
Lol not even looking into dual spaces and multilinear algebra. What kind of baby class is this?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.