[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best calculus textbook?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1438850715451.jpg (95KB, 903x714px) Image search: [Google]
1438850715451.jpg
95KB, 903x714px
>>
>>7726912
Analysis with an Introduction to Proof by Steven R. Lay
>>
>>7726917
I like Lay too, but it's not a calculus book, it's an analysis book. It's basically a more formal version of Spivak's Calculus.
>>
>not writing your own
Low iq
>>
Depends on your major.
Maths>Spivak
Anything else>Stewart
>>
Rudin
>>
Fichtenholz
>>
>>7727044
Nobody should be subjected to Stewart.
>>
>>7727094
What a stupid /sci/ meme.
Why is Stewart so bad?
>>
>>7727096
if u have to ask why is stewart so bad, you're obviously some undergrad math major that just finished up his first multivariable calc class and thinks he's a big shot, get smarter scrub LOL
>>
>>7727094
I disagree. Stewart is a fine introduction to calculus for people who do not care at all about the mathematics behind it. That is, physics/engineering/computer "science" majors
>>
>>7727094
>tfw took calc III at another university using Briggs/Cochran
>understood it perfectly, got an A
>had to retake it this year at my new uni because "lol you didn't do something" (We just really didn't talk about surface integrals and only touched Stokes"
>Take it out of Stewart
>Just get out of final, don't fucking remember shit and make mistakes
>literally no examples in the textbook for me to follow and learn better

T-thanks Stewart
>>
>>7727044
Electronic and computer engineering
>>
>>7727132
This is so accurate that it actually hurts. Again, I learned from Briggs. There was a lot of meat to almost every section. I loved it. I'm a fucking engineer now and it boggles me how many fuckwits in my major fucking hate math. Like what the fuck are you doing if you hate math being an engineer? It isn't as math based as other fields obviously but fucking hell.

I understand things better when I understand the concept. Most of the lectures were just "oh but we don't have time to go into this in detail, read the book." Then you open the book, there is fuck all detail.

Damn
>>
>>7727128
no, I'm a physics major and while I like some proofs from analysis I have to be focused on the task at hand, and Stewart explains very nice most of the concepts.
>>7727142
100% go for Stewart, I helped a friend pass his calc exams using Stewart's book and he's an EE

You people should understand the difference between "Calculus" and "Analysis". Yes, you can do calc more analysisih if you want to (I find Apostol to be very nice) but you can't say that Stewart is a bad textbook. I know a math proffesor from a Polytechnic school that got medals in the National/International math Olympiads while he was a student and he says Stewart is a good book for engineers. I'm not an engineering student but I would take his advice over /sci/'s memes any day.
>>
>>7727019
this
>>
>>7726912
>>Single Variable Calculus
>Weak Students
"Calculus With Analytic Geometry" by Simmons
"Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" (Dover) by Morris Kline
"Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" by Jerome Keisler (Uses infinitesimals)
"A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang

>Strong Students
"Calculus" by Spivak (Good mathematical exposition, poor motivation, no applications)
"Calculus, Vol. 1: One-Variable Calculus, with an Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Apostol (Good motivation and problems)
"Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume I" by Richard Courant and Fritz John (Good motivation and applications, very difficult problems)

>Classic References
"A Course of Pure Mathematics" by G. H. Hardy
"Introduction to Analysis of the Infinite", "Foundations of Differential and Integral Calculus" by Euler

>>Multivariable and Vector Calculus
>Weak
"Div, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus" by Schey
"Calculus of Several Variables" by Serge Lang

>Intermediate
"Calculus, Vol. 2: Multi-Variable Calculus and Linear Algebra with Applications to Differential Equations and Probability" by Apostol
"Introduction to Calculus and Analysis, Volume II" by Richard Courant and Fritz John

>Advanced
"Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" (Dover) by C. H. Edwards Jr.
"Advanced Calculus: A Geometric View" by Callahan
"Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by Hubbard and Hubbard
"Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach" by Harold M. Edwards
"Advanced Calculus" by Shlomo Zvi Sternberg and Lynn Harold Loomis (for the utterly fearless)
>>
>>7727294
ok thanks man that's what I'll go for
>>
>>7727294
I want an A not a fucking pass
>>
>>7728066
no book, on any subject, can guarantee you that you'll get an A. besides all the factors like attention, stress, shitty things happening prior to exam (gf leaves you or whatever) that can ruin your grade there are also 2 VERY important things: the amount of work you put in for the exam and your intelligence. All in all, I can say that you could get an A in calc if you have a good day and do a decent amount of work, even if you aren't particularly bright.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.