[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Becoming a golden boy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Cosine graph.gif (8KB, 488x312px) Image search: [Google]
Cosine graph.gif
8KB, 488x312px
How does someone become a "golden boy" as a lot of people call it? Do you get a perfect GPA, go to universities with small classes, etc?

A golden boy as people seem to refer to is: Someone who is groomed and/or mentored by someone to actually become something in a field instead of a replaceable lab rat who gets burned from going into grad school.
>>
What the hell are you talking about
>>
you do not become one
you are chosen
>>
It involves really actually caring about your field, and wanting to learn, explore, and do everything there is to be done in it. And yes, the bigshots are well capable of telling that apart from fakes.
>>
>>7727033
this
>>
>>7726822
need to know this too, looking to do my masters in a top university
>>
File: just-the-tip.jpg (38KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
just-the-tip.jpg
38KB, 1280x720px
>>7726822
I'd say... shortening the movements between your given frequency and its point of deselection; as it meets its finite rhythm is has the ability to give a rendition of what is to near your goal as opposed to achieve it, when you're in school achievement is pointless, you're always to data short and innocence heavy to make any in depth sanctioning of one grip from another... and the unfortunate part is this instilled in us from to young of an age and relapse into the blurred lines of unfocused usage streams which just bait the nuance of lab rat in the way that you become less that addicted to your course of work do to the fact that you've never really been given the opportunity to function at a level of anything more than your peers and this makes for the unhealthy lack of competition and focuses you on a 'well balanced blahblahblah' as opposed to having a grade three being 2 months of each of the popular courses and and then giving more work time to each of the next three years with the focus of what the child wants to learn about be more and more the narration for which classrooms get filled... all this satisfy the parents need for, and they don't even realize it, over stimulation; is bloody fucking bullshit

>rantranrant
>>
>believing in worthiness in this fucked up shit of a world..
op you either have your father/uncle as a ceo of a big company or you lick so many asses that your tongue gets swollen from e. coli for the rest of your life.
that's how things are if you wanna be a big boy. everything else is just foolish dreams
>>
suck your proffessors dick faggot
>>
>>7726822
>Do you get a perfect GPA, go to universities with small classes, etc?
Hah, no this is what all the lab slaves do.

You can't exam babby or kiss ass your way into golden boyhood, you will end up as the professors lackey who he might have a drink with, but won't trust or recommend you on anything important.

There is only one way and that is to impress your Professors with either good research results or to impress your prof. in conversation. Academics only respect one thing and that's brilliance, which does not include exam babbying since they set the exam and aren't impressed if you can get full marks in it.

One thing that's really important if you want to be a golden boy. You have to do this early before you are assigned to shitty projects where you won't get to prove your worth.

Also don't target profs. golden boyhood is transferable with any quality letter of recommendation from a prominent researcher.
>>
>>7727033
this

i've never heard of the term "golden boy"
>>
>>7727049
Also this.

>>7727076
Not really this. There are plenty of passionate lab rats who just suck.
>>
>>7728127
The uncle CEO didn't suck any dick to get where is, ass lickers are for people who were never going to succeed to begin with.
>>
>>7728127
this. brilliance is a necessary but far from sufficient condition. the factors you can't control have an overwhelming influence. but a lot of people take merely suggesting this as a mortal sin because it rubs against their own insecurities. so basically the aspect where you have the most control is where you pretend that you are in complete control and all successes and setbacks are 100% your own so you don't get crucified.
>>
Life is study!
How interesting!
Very educational!
>>
>>7729261
Well, brilliance mostly comes down to genetic potential (if you actually reach that potential through hard work), but I'd say that while it's more difficult if you aren't born into the right family, brilliant men tend to make their own luck by being good at building connections and leaving an impression etc.
>>
>>7726822

Two ways i can see people doing this.

1. Is simply being naturally gifted (genius) at what it is you're doing, people see this and start throwing you bones.

2. Dedication, study and practise outside of university.
I've worked in construction for years and am studying engineering part-time. I've met dozens of engineers who all sucked. They're the "parents made them study 2 hours + a night since day dot to get the best career possible" type. Non of these fellows have ever had there hands dirty, pull apart an engine, built something to see if it would work etc...

Another way to look at this would be to think of 1 as focusing on theoretical work and aceing it.
And 2 as focusing on experimental work and learning from failure & experience.

Most uni grads don't fall into either of these categories. They're just lab rats
>>
>>7729295
>They're the "parents made them study 2 hours + a night since day dot to get the best career possible" type. Non of these fellows have ever had there hands dirty, pull apart an engine, built something to see if it would work etc...
Because "getting your hands dirty" has nothing to do with modern professional engineering you fucking retard. That's what techs and 3d printers are for.

I'm sick of you techs who have a chip on your shoulder and think everyone engineering was born with a silver spoon. They weren't. Most of your classmates are there on hard earned scholarships. Once you get over your retarded jealousy you'll realize your complaints are pure shit that you made up in your head.

Just because the age appropriate individuals in your programme were more mature than you and worked harder in their teens to get where they are instead of playing catch up like you does not mean they aren't suffering too.

Also, we are talking about grad-school anyway, you have no stake in this.
>>
>>7729295

>mfw people think that engineering is a "hands on" major

Modern engineering has nothing to do with taking apart things and putting them together to be brutally honest. Have you taken a look at any engineering curriculum's lately? You literally don't need to touch to touch anything, that is what the laborers are for.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.