[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Undergrad thesis?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Sup /sci/,

I'm just about to graduate with a BS in Biology next week, but still have a thesis to write, and I'm fairly confused.

We're supposed to write a 10 page paper about an experiment conducted in the lab, having done so with a different paper as a reference for the experimental outline, and I doubt I could fill 10 pages. Most scientific papers are less than 10 pages and the experiment we conducted in the lab was fairly simple and straightforward.

What's your experience with undergrad theses? Any advice?
>>
>10 page thesis

WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>7726772
Well, we're supposed to include graphs from flow cytometry and provide an introduction about the specific chemical that was used to test cytotoxicity, which is basically the whole experiment. Materials and methods, conclusion, etc.

I mean you could easily fill some 5 pages, but 10 is really a stretch and I'm wondering how people do it.
>>
Bump?
>>
Why is there a lower limit on the number of pages?
>>
>>7726772
What? I've had to write 10 page papers for individual math classes.
>>
Is this a thesis project or just a final paper?

a thesis project is something you do over the course of 2 terms and make various presentations, etc.
>>
>>7727039
Thesis project. I've done the presentation (about something different but related), and the experiment did take 2 semesters, but like I keep saying, it's pretty straightforward and it won't be easy filling 10 pages unless I really go on and on about nothing.

We just tested for cytotoxicity on certain cell lines with varying dosages of the drug in question and had controls etc. 5 pages is easy but 10 is too much of a stretch. I'm wondering what do people do to fill it up.

>>7727037
It's a good thing but it should be reasonable. Most published papers are less than 10 pages, usually 7.
>>
You should realize biology is shit and drop out stat.
>>
>>7726761
>What's your experience with undergrad theses?

They aren't that interesting, desu. At undergrad you can really contribute in any capacity that isn't fairly menial (although I'll admit that it could just be my project that was boring). That said I enjoyed it, and defiantly broadened my knowledge of nuclear physics and also discovered I really can't hack it as an experimentalists.

>Any advice?

Nothing that's not going to be obvious, keep working at it, don't leave everything to the last minute, don't get disheartened when everything (inevitability!) goes to shit.
>>
>>7726761
What educational institution do you attend OP?
>>
>>7726761

The intro will be several pages, you'll need to give background on your system, and summarize where the field is and the current problem the field is facing.

The methods are going to be at least a page, maybe two.

The results, with some figures, should be two or three pages.

The discussion is where you would fill 10 pages. After you interpret your results to explain their ability to answer the questions in your field, you can extrapolate to future directions and throw more unanswered questions out there. That part will be a ton of bullshit, but you could add another few pages.
>>
>>7727233
as opposed to what?

chemistry? shit, no jobs, basically babby engineers

physics? yeah to be a math teacher, again egineering-lite

engineering (any)? yeah sure ofc but maybe he wants to do research
>>
>>7726772
That's what mine was, it was a literature review. Also a BS in Biology.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.