[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you get a staph infection from popping a pimple and not cleaning/covering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

Can you get a staph infection from popping a pimple and not cleaning/covering it properly? I read a thread on reddit where someone popped a pimple, absentmindedly touched it during the day, and then developed a MRSA infection. Something tells me the pimple he popped was the beginning of a MRSA infection since early on, it often appears as a whitehead. Sometimes my pimples pop on their own so this shit is terrifying.
>>
>>7726163
>not cleaning the wound with hydrogen perxoide

do you even want to live?
>>
>>7726169
you clean your popped pimples with hydrogen peroxide? hasn't hydrogen peroxide been found to be pointless? my understanding is that it doesn't kill shit and it may actually damage tissue, hindering wound healing.
>>
>>7726163
Even tiny scratches can kill you man, if it wasn't for modern medicine.
I was scratched on my leg by my cat when I was a kid.
It got infected and made this "hole" in my leg about 1/2 cm in diameter and 1cm deep.
It burned like hell.

Doctor had to cut way the dead flesh and I had to take antibiotics. It wasn't anything as bad as an MRSA infection, but still.
Living in a pre-antibiotics world must have sucked.
>>
>>7726163
>absentmindedly touched it during the day

there you go. If you have any kind of open wound and just randomly touch it your chances of infection increase. The person was unlucky it happened to be MRSA. Remember, there are loads of microorganisms on your body and you're constantly picking up new microbes touching stuff throughout the day.
>>
>having absolutely shit immune systems
this is natures way of saying you dont make the cut
>>
everything posted on reddit is for karma whoring purposes

Don't believe anything

Also depends whether you live in a tropical area or not
>>
Depends on the pimple. Go see a doctor if its large enough to warrant.
>>
>>7726201
yikes. see, this is terrifying. i'm a clumsy fuck and i constantly get small scratches and cuts.

>Living in a pre-antibiotics world must have sucked.
but you forget that we are on the cusp of a post-antibiotic era sooooo gg, it's been fun. a goddamn pimple is going to take me out.
>>
>>7726238
why would living in a tropical area have anything to do with it? MRSA is everywhere, dude. it's quite possibly living on you right now.
>>
>>7726201

My grandmother risked losing a leg due to a cat scratch.
>>
>>7726163
>not cleaning/covering it properly?

covering it can be just as problematic. if you cover it, you never use a direct adhesion to the skin i.e. band-aids, because removing the band-aids can create small tears or rip hairs out which can result in more infection sites if infected fluid gets into it.

but yeah as for the story, they created a hole in their skin and then touched it through out the day. even if it was transmitted through touch, it's rare and not very smart to just continually play with wounds no matter how small with dirty hands.
>>
speaking of infections and doctors and touching

i always get eyelashes in my eye. is it safe to always touch my eyeball/underside of my bottom eyelid to get it out? sometimes i get these floating clouds in my eye too. usually goes away if i blink a lot. its rather sticky/slimy, like precum. should i see a doctor about this or does everyone else get this???
>>
Are bacteriophages a viable replacement for antibiotics? ive been reading up on them, but i still cant figure out if the drawbacks associated with them could be countered by a lot of research and development to become the default treatment option, or if its just fundamentally nonviable due to their specific nature.
>>
>>7726356
i'm not gonna lie and say i haven't touched my eyeball to get it out before. but i've stopped doing that ever since taking a microbiology course and learning about all the fun eye infections you can get. i recommend picking up some saline solution for contacts and flushing it out from now on.

i've never had that precum thing you described lol i definitely think you should see a doctor about that.
>>
>>7726356
nothing wrong with touching your eye, as long as you clean your hands beforehand. i touch my eyes every day to put in/take out my contact lenses.

i'd see a doctor about the slimy thing though... like really. if there's something you don't want to risk losing it's your eyesight. good luck!
>>
>>7726163
is that olympus mons?
>>
i pop my pimples, claw at my skin, and other shit until blood is drawn

i do this regularly and haven't had a problem

i was even homeless for 3 months and slept with stray cats for the hell of it

you guys are too afraid of dying
>>
>>7726774
>i was even homeless for 3 months and slept with stray cats for the hell of it

I wanna hear more about this
>>
>>7726774
Yeah this is my thinking. So many people pop their pimples and aren't hygienic about it (i.e. me from age 13-20) and never get any sort of infection. Perhaps the reddit guy had a compromised immune system.
>>
File: the-knick_05uDqN.jpg (2MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
the-knick_05uDqN.jpg
2MB, 4000x2667px
>>7726163
>Can you get a staph infection from popping a pimple and not cleaning/covering it properly?
Yes you can. Staph. aureus/epidermidis/saprophyticus can all be found as normal flora on your skin (i.e. they can live on our skin without causing harm) if they become displaced from the surface of the skin and "overcome" the immune system they can cause an infection.

>I read a thread on reddit...
Stop that.

>...absentmindedly touched it during the day, and then developed a MRSA infection
MRSA is the multi drug resistant form of Staph. it is not found on the skin. Unless this guy was unwell and in the vicinity of patients with MRSA (e.g. during a hospital outbreak) then this is very unlikely.

Take home message: Redness, warmth, and tenderness in the area of a wound or pus, a foul-smelling, yellowish-white fluid coming from any wound is a sign of infection. If this happens go to a doctor.
>>
>>7726169
I fucking love hydrogen peroxide. You have a nasty laceration that's started to infect? Hydrogen fucking peroxide! Your dog stood on piece of glass in the park and got dirt in there? Clean that shit up and apply hydrogen peroxide! Works every motherfucking time and stops infections dead in their tracks.
>>
>>7726781
Me too.
>>
>>7728388
I use 91% isopropyl followed by 70% isopropyl.

The first will break up a biofilm. The second will penetrate cell walls.

The pleasant burning sensation is only a bonus.
>>
sterile saline is the best wound wash.

boil water, add salt, put into a container that has been cleaned in a bleach water solution.

or buy it at the pharmacy.

betadine, an iodine solution. is also good.
>>
I'll throw my anecdote in as well.

I've popped pimples and picked at them until they bleed and eventually scab up, and I've done this off-and-on since I began breaking out regularly around 15/16 (I'm 25 now). Never had an issue regarding infection or any of that.

I'm also poor as dirt and haven't seen a doctor for even a basic routine checkup/physical in a decade. I think I got lucky and I somehow have a decent immune system.
>>
>>7726196
It's useful for severe infections, but it will leave scar tissue.

When you have a pathogen in your body, your antigens will produce hydrogen peroxide killing both the antigen and pathogen.
>>
>>7726357
Phage therapy could be viable in the future, but there's still some kinks to work out. For starters, it takes a lot longer to produce an adequate amount of bacteriophages to get rid of an infection. Then there's the risk of some kind of host interaction coming from the phage.
There are some alternatives I've been reading about like antimicrobial peptides and enzymes which seem to have some potential
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.