[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math and money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: saunders.jpg (73KB, 960x528px) Image search: [Google]
saunders.jpg
73KB, 960x528px
What field of Mathematics will be the most in-demand in the future?

>Cryptology
>Quantitative Finance
>Probability, Risk and Statistics
>>
>>7726057
anything that is applicable to artificial intelligence tbqh if i had to be totally real with you for a second not even joking family seriously
>>
File: 1449786436168s.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1449786436168s.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>7726065

Should I get a computer science degree or a math degree?

I'm debating

Bsc Math
Msc Machine Learning
PhD AI/Neural Networks
>>
>>7726070
With that master and PhD choices you are already a well rounded memeing memery memology limemericks meme man. Why ruin your meme career with a non-meme undergrad degree. Go all out with the memes and major in CS like a true respectable memeable memer.
>>
>>7726085

I'm sorry I don't suck dick Mr. Engineer.
>>
>>7726088
Wrong there my friend. I'm a pure mathematics major.
>>
>>7726070
If you get a math degree, you will learn what kinds of things you'll want to program. If you can learn math you can learn programming on your own.

If you don't give a shit about what you're coding and just want to be a monkey, go CS. If you're not a total cunt, you figure out why math algorithms are optimized they way they are and come up with your own useful contribution.

Both paths can lead to the same place, but Math is slightly more powerful.

Less powerful than physics though, where you pretty much have to pick up a programming language, and you learn the same amount of math as any random math major.
>>
>>7726095

So should I just do math all the way though Phd?
>>
>>7726095
>and you learn the same amount of math as any random math major.

Literal bullshit. I would never shame a physics student on their level of mathematics but let me show you what I mean. Here's a list of every math class I take in pure mathematics that Physics students don't:

Pure Geometry (They take 'analytical geometry', I'll just assume it is just a dumbed down geometry for physicists)
Probability
Statistics
Analysis
General Topology
Complex Analysis
Graph Theory
Algebraic Geometry
*And they take less calculus classes.

Don't spread bullshit on the internet, please.
>>
>>7726110
A physics grad student going into high energy physics or gravitational physics would probably take all of that except maybe graph theory.
>>
>>7726113
>grad student

Yes they would but by the time they go to grad school, the math grad students will already be taking even higher mathematics. All I'm saying it is incorrect to assume that physicists know as much math as mathematicians.

And that is fair. Checking out the physics curriculum I saw at least 20 classes they take I don't. A bunch of material, nuclear, relativity, etc. related classes I would never touch.
>>
>>7726100
Not really. If you are set on doing memology don't go for a PhD in pure mathematics. If you go for a PhD in pure mathematics to graduate you will have to write your dissertation on a topic that is still of importance to mathematicians. Machine learning and AI lost the spotlight on the mathematician's world back in the 1950s and they have moved on to bigger things. Try to write a dissertation about that for a maths PhD and you will get dropped by your counselor forever. So do your PhD in memology so that you can actually write a dissertation about memes to graduate.
>>
>>7726057
>in-demand in the future?
>
>>Cryptology

Haven't you watched the news in the last 2 week. Cryptography and mathematics involving it will be illegal soon.
>>
>>7726135
>illegal

The NSA has a dedicated mathematics department that does nothing BUT Cryptography. You saying that the government is going to outlaw itself?
>>
>>7726137
>The Government abiding by the law

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7726110
implying that you're any random math major

those classes are not required for a math degree. in fact, the only difference between a physics major math minor and a math major physics minor is 3-4 upper division electives.

also, at most universities i've seen, physics majors have to take 4 semesters of calculus, which is also what math majors take. the only other calculus classes that a math major would take over a physics major are analysis classes, but those are usually upper division electives for a physics major anyways, so i don't see what your problem is.
>>
>>7726148
>those classes are not required for a math degree

Wait. What do you think that math majors do after their second year? More calculus? Please don't google anything and just tell me what you actually believe right now.
>>
>>7726057
>Combinations
Useful in Cryptography and statistics.

>Group Theory
Useful in many fields, and cryptography.

>Linear algebra.
Useful for modeling quantum states. This will be useful when quantum computers become commonly used.
>>
>>7726153
I meant to say Combinatorics
>>
>>7726152
ok

after you take calc I,II, diff eq. and multivariable you probably take linear algebra, some sort of logic class. then you have to choose about 20 credits worth of electives and an undergraduate research/seminar class.

those electives can be algebra, geometry,topology,statistics,etc....

you don't HAVE to take anything beyond an intro analysis class. You take what you want to specialize in, actuarial, applied, pure, etc...

physics majors can take the same classes to satisfy their electives. many times, advanced classes in physics requires advanced algebra or topology.

stop being so butthurt.
>>
>>7726165
I'm not butthurt, I'm just stating facts.

I take no 'logic' class and I've never seen a math curriculum that does.

You are right about the research, linear algebra, calc and diff eqs.

Algebra, geometry, topology and statistics are all mandatory classes and core parts of the curriculum. Not electives.

There are electives for specialization but they are reduced to one class per semester. Nothing extensive but you are correct.

But going back to my post, the only classes that I listed there that are electives graph theory, algebraic geometry and Geometry III (II and I are mandatory). The rest are part of the core curriculum.

You do know that I am actually studying mathematics right? I know what I'm talking about. You may have seen math studens doing homework and thought that it resembled what you do but that is not the big picture.
>>
>>7726110

>graph theory

Beyond a doubt. Improving existing infrastructure to suit a growing population is one of the hardest things to do, not only does one have to address present needs but any network design must account for long term increase in demand also.
>>
>>7726057
Dude I posted this exact thread on /biz/ 2 days ago lmao
>>
>>7726095
>physics somehow more useful for learning programming than mathematics

How delusional can you be?
>>
File: 1449648730273.jpg (55KB, 500x563px) Image search: [Google]
1449648730273.jpg
55KB, 500x563px
>>7726366

Holy shit the titles different faggot
>>
>>7726165
At my school, after two-three semesters of analysis and your usual calc sequence, two courses in abstract algebra are required on top of a course in linear algebra. You also generally take some sort of geom/topology course.
>>
>>7726700
So, while I understand that physics majors can and often do take similar courses, it is not required.
>>
>its a meme

Sci is disgusting. Bye never coming back
>>
>>7726388
So what are you after? Also studying Math and wondering what courses would benefit you the most?
>>
>>7726785

Make money
Survive the singularity.
Enjoy tech heaven on earth
>>
>>7726088
Comp sci is a branch of engineering. You're sucking dick too, buddy. Maybe more than average
>>
>>7728016

>comp sci
>science
>engineering

Engineering is not science. Nice try oomba loompa
>>
>>7728016

Pretty certain that software engineers are lower on the hierarchy than computer scientists
>>
>>7726143
kek
>>
>>7726182
>logic class
Set theory
>>
cryptology? who would need to hire a cryptologist? companies that have secrets so big that they'd need cryptologists are very few
>>
>>7728330

>companies that have secrets so big that they'd need cryptologists are very few

Every company worth more than a million dollars has trade secrets.
>>
>>7728330
But everyone has secrets anon. Don't tell me that you believe that everything you send through the internet is not encrypted at all and you sent as is.

And if you don't believe that then who do you think works on the algorithms that encrypt your data? Did god made the encryption algorithms in the 8th day and left them on the bible for us to use 6000 years later? No, and also, god doesn't exist.
>>
>>7726057
>Implying that the banks prefer mathematicians to take the position as a quant
>>
>>7728752
No one rolls their own encryption. The people who come up with the actual algos. for hashes and public/private key encryptions are normally some of the smartest guys in the field.
>>
A real job in the future is a data smith.
A guy that collects data and produces good output with it.
>>
>>7726070
physics with tons of comp sci courses
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.