[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Relativity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: gravity-probe-b.jpg (313KB, 575x424px) Image search: [Google]
gravity-probe-b.jpg
313KB, 575x424px
Did Newton and his contemporaries take the fact that gravitational acceleration is the same for all masses for granted?

I mean let's pretend masses don't "generate" gravity like newton thought. If you released two metallic objects of different masses near a giant magnet they wouldn't necessaritly accelerate towards it at the same rate because their resistance to acceleration is not the same as their magnetic attraction because they're unrelated.

Why didn't they see that it's too much of a coincidence and a convenience for gravitational mass to "just happen" be the same as inertial mass unless they are the same thing?

Why did Newton introduce gravity as just another magical force like magnetism and everybody just accept it? Doesn't this go again occam's razor? What would be the probably in nature that two completely unrelated things just cancel out?
>>
>>7725132
that's not what I meant at all. You can replace magnetism with any magical force. Just to show that having two unrelated things happily canceling out is too much of a coincidence.
>>
File: g.jpg (97KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
97KB, 800x600px
Could you be a little more specific what you mean? I don't really understand what you are saying here exactly.

As far as I know Newton didn't propose that all masses feel the same acceleration in the same gravitational field.

Newton's law of gravitational force (equation A) states that 2 interacting objects feel the same FORCE much like 2 electromagnetically charged objects (equation B).

However the acceleration itself can be calculated from the Newton's second law of motion (equation C) where we see that acceleration is same with the 2 objects that feel the same acceleration only if they have the same mass:

> F = m * g <=> a = F / m
> Let there be 2 objects interacting in a way that they feel same force m1 * a1 = F = m2 * a2
> It follows that a1 = a2 only if m1 = m2.
> QED

Same way you can see that in the gravitational field of one object 2 objects can feel the same acceleration only if they have the same mass (and distance).

I'm starting to believe that you have confused gravitational constant G here (about a scale of 10^-11 and is in units of [N m^2 / kg^2]) with the free-fall acceleration (scale 9.8 [N/Kg] or [m / s^2]), which is used in the motion-equation (C) to approximate the accelereation objects get in the free-fall of the gravitational field of the earth.
To be fair they are both often marked as G.

If your question was why free-fall acceleration is often approximated with a constant even though it should depend of the mass of the falling object the answer is 'because it's easier'.
On the other hand I don't know if Newton ever made this approximation...

But if you meant something else please do correct me.
>>
File: Human-Error-DOH.jpg (18KB, 290x267px) Image search: [Google]
Human-Error-DOH.jpg
18KB, 290x267px
>>7725393
Me again. Had a little slip there:

>However the acceleration itself can be calculated from the Newton's second law of motion (equation C) where we see that acceleration is same with the 2 objects that feel the same FORCE only if they have the same mass
>>
>>7725393
Newton thought of the force that pushes back when you pushed against something as "fictitious".

He didn't think of gravity that way at all.

Gravity to him was just another force that masses "generate".

Like the suction "generated" by a vacuum cleaner or the pull "generated" by a magnet or the "foo" force generated by object "bar". He wasn't particularly concerned with the mechanics of how mass generates force. It could be magic. He just assumed it does.

He thought it was an unrelated concept with the degree to which mass resists acceleration.

Why didn't it bother him that these two unrelated (as far as he thinks) things just happen to have the same numerical value as far as experiments show.
>>
File: sleepy-kittens.jpg (661KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sleepy-kittens.jpg
661KB, 1920x1200px
>>7725400
So you're saying that Newton didn't think gravitation as a force?

I have never heard about anything like that but the easy answer could be that it just didn't occur to him. Many things seem obvious to us today but that's because we are told them in a understantable manner from a reliable source. Someone had to be first.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you meant either. It's getting pretty late here and I have last exam before holidays tomorrow. I'm not just in a right mindset to get this right now. And I'm off to bed now.

Keep this thread alive though!
I try to return tomorrow. I hope you get your answer OP.
>>
Is there any actual proof of gravity as a force? The widespread assumption is that it's a force transmitted by quanta as per the unified forces, but I have yet to see any actual proof of that idea.
>>
File: antineut-prot1356715215896.jpg (9KB, 313x315px) Image search: [Google]
antineut-prot1356715215896.jpg
9KB, 313x315px
>>7725762
I haven't seen anyone trying to proof that but wikipedia says "a force is any interaction that, when unopposed, will change the motion of an object."
I think we have just defined force in a way that gravity fits it.

And I think that "transmitted by a particle" is actually one to win if we would use occam's razor (I assume) as all the other fundamental forces are also transmitted by particles. It just seemes easier that we have same way working forces than one that's so different from others.
>>
i think mass is a property that resembles likeliness of existence. the more massive something is, the more likely it is to exist.

gravity in that model would be the rule of motion of possibilities to add up into certainty. there is still a lot of quantum-mechanical uncertainty in massive objects, but less than in a vacuum.
>>
Stop posting this shit thread.
>>
>>7726358
I would agree that force particles is the best way to look at it, but unfortunately that doesn't tell us a whole lot. We know very little about the graviton.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.