[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

please sci what is common core math? i cant wrap my head around it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: common-core.png (17KB, 410x426px) Image search: [Google]
common-core.png
17KB, 410x426px
please sci

what is common core math?

i cant wrap my head around it
>>
File: 4L_QS7hhUVY.jpg (68KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
4L_QS7hhUVY.jpg
68KB, 800x600px
It's a set of rules for elementary school kids, largely irrelevant since you'd typically use a fraction bar for the problem in pic related to be less confusing.
>>
>>7725038
take big problem
break it into a bunch of little problems that can be solved in your head

boom, you now know common core.
>>
>>7725038
it's dumbed down math for niggers pushed by a jew

inb4 triggered snobs tell me to return to /pol/
>>
>>7725057
>dumbed down
it's not dumbed down or harder. it's not anything. its just a different way in an attempt to get kids to think about numbers differently so when they get to calc and linear algebra they wont get shell shocked and say "math is gay".
>>
>>7725072
wich one is x? im new to boards outside of b
>>
>>7725072
>average above levels of genius on multiple boards

this is why you never trust anything anyone posts on 4chan, everyone.
>>
>>7725048
What the fuck is the old way? You get 16 if you follow order of operations
>>
>>7725114
I was taught BEDMAS
Brackets
Exponents
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

>20/5(2*2)
>20/5*4
>4*4
>16

However, if we were to interpret it as 20 is divided by (5 * (2 * 2)) we would get 1, because
>20/5(2*2)
>20/5(4)
>Perfect vision
>1

But since the problem already uses brackets, it would have included brackets around the 5(4) to signify that we should multiply the two of them before dividing it into 20. So I think the answer is 16.
>>
>>7725138
Both ways are "correct" because division and multiplication are the same. Which one you do first doesn't matter. It's not real it's just a standard.
>>
>>7725072
/x/ is a mess of a board, for the 1% you got actual intelligent people interested in all kinds of weird shit, whereas the other 99% are mostly /b/-tards and other scum who is just there to shitpost and talk about muh spooks.
>>
>>7725048
20 / 5(2*2) = 1

Only answer is one. Why do people erase brackets after solving for the brackets? It's not 5 + (2*2) it's 5(2*2).

>20 / 5(2*2)
>20 / 5(4)
>20 / 20
>1
>>
>>7725198
>>7725138
See >>7726979
>>
>>7725038

Before Common Core

>Preschool
Counting
>1st Grade
Basic addition
>2nd Grade
Basic subtraction
>3rd Grade
Negative numbers, zero, big numbers
>4th grade
Times tables/fractions, inequalities
>5th Grade
Division, powers, decimals
>6th Grade
Roots, primes, factors (no Euclid's algorithm)
>7th Grade
Pre-algebra (coordinate geometry)
>8th Grade
Algebra I (single variable linear equations)
>9th Grade
"Geometry" aka Pythagorean theorem, similar triangles, and a few basic geometric definitions
>10th Grade
Algebra II: Quadratics, conics, matrices (no applications, not even solving systems of equations), polynomials (no solving cubics or quartics)
>11th Grade (10th if honors)
Trigonometry: definition of (co)sin, (co)tan, (co)sec, sin^2+cos^2=1 (no other trig identities), (1+x/n)^n definition of exp(x), logarithms
>12th Grade (11th if honors, 12th is the same but AP)
Calculus up to disk and shell methods

After Common Core

>Preschool
Counting
>1st Grade
Basic arithmetic
>2nd Grade
Basic arithmetic
>3rd Grade
Basic arithmetic and geometry
>4th grade
Basic arithmetic and geometry
>5th Grade
Basic arithmetic, algebra and geometry
>6th Grade
>7th Grade
>8th Grade
>9th Grade
>10th Grade
Algebra I (single variable linear equations) [last required math class growingly becoming optional in most schools because algebra is useless for most people]
>11th Grade
"Geometry" aka Pythagorean theorem, similar triangles, and a few basic geometric definitions
>12th Grade
Trigonometry: definition of (co)sin, (co)tan, (co)sec, sin^2+cos^2=1 (no other trig identities), (1+x/n)^n definition of exp(x), logarithms
>>
>>7726979
But if they wanted you to multiply the 5 by the (2*2) they would have phrased it like
>20 / (5(2*2))
or
>20 / (5*2*2)
>>
>>7725067
>it's not dumbed down or harder. it's not anything

Yes it is. CC is just a way for teachers to get away with teaching even less and going even slower than before.
>>
>>7727025
5(4) = 5(2*2) = (5(2*2))

Those are redundancy brackets. When it addition implicit? Multiplication is implicit and explicit. I'm no math major but I've never once heard of implicit addition.

If they wanted you to add the product of two times two to the quotient of twenty divided by five they would have included the correct operand.

But the equation clearly asks for
>20/5(2*2)

The quotient of 20 twenty divided by five times the product of two multiplied by two.
>>
>>7727059
Don't know why I brought up auditing 5 and 4 my bad. Common Core is gay and wrong desu.

But my point stands about brackets. When you have an integer or variable with brackets next to it, you solve or distribute to remove the brackets. Solving what's inside of the brackets doesn't remove the brackets if there is an integer in front of it because of the distributive property.

5(2*2) = 5*2*2 = 5(4) = (10+10) = 20
>>
>>7725198
They both have equal footing in the order of equations but when something has equal footing, you do it left to right.

This >>7725138 is slightly incorrect. Multiplication and division are on equal footing, as are addition and subtraction. So it goes
Brackets
Exponents
Division AND Multiplication (left to right)
Addition AND Subtraction (left to right)
Hence:
>20/5(2*2)
Brackets
>20/5(4)
Otherwise written as:
>20/5*4
Multiplication and division have equal footing so they're done left to right
>4*4
>16
Common Core still sucks though, shit's unnecessary, promotes lazy thinking and gives students the idea that maths is subjective.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.